Author Topic: What would you ask Michael Booth?  (Read 16040 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What would you ask Michael Booth?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 01:43:46 PM »
Those links give lots of answers. I might be preacheching 70s science per ukgm, but in the ballpark i am right  ;)

I wonder just how much endurance training load (or hours) he does paddling.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
Those links give lots of answers. I might be preacheching 70s science per ukgm, but in the ballpark i am right  ;)

It's not the hours you put in, it's what you put into the hours ;)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 03:07:42 PM »
Not as muscled up as Boothy for a lightweight very lean rider 140-160 lbs -> but has plenty with very low body fat mass.  Any of the top pros have about the same BF% ie very low probs top 3% and def below the -2SD line.  This is key with adequate muscle mass then endurance.  Light weight muscled up with endurance balance technique skill willpower etc is hard to beat.  Boothy and Travis etc can get it done at higher BW but they also have very low fat mass ie. very good strength to weight -> and very good power to weight ratios.  Kai is so busy with other watersports but still has time to go to the gym plus do HIIE like any top elite endurance athlete. Oh here is pic of small and skinny Kai.  ;)

"For me, training is really fun, as my gym is the entire island of Maui. I work out in a physical gym three times a week and also on the beach doing runs in soft sand along with other exercises during the run. I also spend so much time on the water surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, standup paddling, canoe surfing—you name it."

"The workout is awesome because you use the natural terrain to torture yourself—tree limbs for pull ups, soft sand hills for sprints, deep sand for running, and waist-deep water for sprints when you really want to push."

http://www.grindtv.com/wellness/world-champion-paddleboarder-kai-lenny-shares-his-fitness-routine/#DLcVl814sPWEK84e.97
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
Of course big wave surfer dude Laird has no reason to hit the gym either with the small amount of actual SUP he does now being on the foil now.   ;D

https://youtu.be/s3sMjz6dtX0

https://youtu.be/8wOT-z3x2MQ
Fast is FUN!   8)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 03:52:13 PM »

^ +1.  When I used to play basketball it was always "perfect practice makes perfect." 

Oscar's clinic is heavily focused the importance of breaking down the stroke and drilling.  Oscar does a ton of it. 

I'd ask Boothie how much time he spends drilling.  And the value of it to us mere mortals.

I'd also ask him how he stays flexible.  Probably some type of active stretching.  He'd be a monster on a yoga mat with those arms.

Cool to see someone that muscular and still flexible.  Danny Ching is built like that and great in a boat too. 

My massage girl is a big fan of long, flexible muscle fiber.  "They work better and have balanced, coordinated strength, and usually more strength and endurance than the glamorous bulky muscles.   When powerlifters get hurt, they are very difficult to massage, because the surface muscles contract prematurely.  It's difficult to get deep where the real problems are."

From the wayback machine:  He's undoubtedly a star on the yoga mat.  I remember watching this routine in the Olympics.  The announcer said, "That strength move has never been done, nobody does that."

Then there's Pat Dolan, formerly of Oahu.  He missed Olympic qualification by a whisker.  Another flexible, heavily muscled beast.  Last I heard he was a coaching pro with Epic in San Diego.  He's 6-4.   

Support your local shaper

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 04:17:05 PM »

That's why I used the expression 'training load'.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »

I think it is somewhat irrelevant. You have to adapt your training to your body-goals-lifestyle. What Booth does - might just kill you. We are genetically different. I think as long as you progress in your training, you are on the right path. And being at 8-10% body fat would help a lot (well given you can keep your muscle).  :)

Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »
What does he REALLY think about the shitshow.

He does look a touch steroid.  Hope it is natural.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »
What Kai is talking about is Dave Kalama's workout. I did these videos and this website with Dave, Sonni Honsheid, and Chris P. (not going to try) a couple million years ago. a few of the videos don't work anymore, but most do:  http://www.watermanworkout.com/

That was fun to shoot, but I did the workout once with Dave and his cousin Junya, and spent the next six days sleeping on the couch with massive ab and general core cramps. I couldn't lay down to get a massage.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:34:45 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »
"I did the workout once with Dave and his cousin Junya, and spent the next six days sleeping on the couch with massive ab and general core cramps. I couldn't lay down to get a massage."

Haha!  Ab workouts are the best.  Burn baby burn!  Is the last set I do and despise them yet love them at the same time.  Sadistic yes very.

All the stuff these guys do is perfect for SUP.  They are the pros and on top and stay on top for good reason.  Strength trained to the max with no bs.  Hardcore the way it should be.  Perfect.

Average joes are just average joes.  These guys get results.   ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 12:59:22 AM »
This conversation has got a very '80s feel about it ;)

https://youtu.be/s7DqwRKqyMk

Don't spend too much time stroking your biceps in the mirror, guys :)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 01:48:57 AM »
Not as muscled up as Boothy for a lightweight very lean rider 140-160 lbs -> but has plenty with very low body fat mass.  Any of the top pros have about the same BF% ie very low probs top 3% and def below the -2SD line.  This is key with adequate muscle mass then endurance.  Light weight muscled up with endurance balance technique skill willpower etc is hard to beat.  Boothy and Travis etc can get it done at higher BW but they also have very low fat mass ie. very good strength to weight -> and very good power to weight ratios.  Kai is so busy with other watersports but still has time to go to the gym plus do HIIE like any top elite endurance athlete. Oh here is pic of small and skinny Kai.  ;)

"For me, training is really fun, as my gym is the entire island of Maui. I work out in a physical gym three times a week and also on the beach doing runs in soft sand along with other exercises during the run. I also spend so much time on the water surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, standup paddling, canoe surfing—you name it."

"The workout is awesome because you use the natural terrain to torture yourself—tree limbs for pull ups, soft sand hills for sprints, deep sand for running, and waist-deep water for sprints when you really want to push."

http://www.grindtv.com/wellness/world-champion-paddleboarder-kai-lenny-shares-his-fitness-routine/#DLcVl814sPWEK84e.97

I doubt that's 3%. Even a tour cyclist or bodybuilder can't maintain that long for safety reasons. It's probably around 5. Impressive though. One thing I would suggest us the diversity of sup athlete background being what it is, I wouldn't read too much into what everyone does until you get another 5-10 years worth of natural selection and a fresh generation of paddlers.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 07:14:13 AM »
Yeah by top 3% or -2SD that represents btwn 8-18% BF Z-score DEXA.  Any top elite athlete is around there.  Even average joes can get there if they want.  As gzasinets notes the diff is keeping and building muscle mass.  That is very hard to do in your 50s 60s 70s.  Top juiced BB are around 3-5% BF on stage which is super dangerous and unhealthy.

To us dropping fat is all about health.  Being 25 lbs overfat was just very unhealthy as it can promote inflammation and a slew of other hormonal problems.  Especially visceral fat.  Focus on improving blood markers was primary and fundamental.  You can be skinny fat and be extremely unhealthy.

Bottom line is that in mid age you can drop fat mass and can put on muscle mass if you know how and really want to.  Took me 3 yrs to figure out how to do it.  But putting on muscle strength and power has been a major challenge.  The most I can put on is about a kg per year.  But as long as you are improving -> you are not losing.  Laird knows.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2017, 08:12:35 AM »
Without going too far OT -> this trend is not good.  Hmmm?  Very scary.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »
You do realize that the chart is from 12 years ago.  Surely since then, with all of the government sponsored programs like Play 60 and Let's Move, that trend is reversing, right?

Sorry, wrong thread...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal