Author Topic: Do you use an elliptical?  (Read 4354 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Do you use an elliptical?
« on: March 21, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »
I got one as a 'winter bridge' so I don't lose what little edge I have from Nov-May.  I have a bike but get home in the dark in winter and the weekends have been windy and cold all winter.   I keep this at my business so I can hop on it - whenever.  Jesus, is it boorrring or what?!  There's no-possible-way I could/would ever spend 20min on it.

In the couple of months I have had it, even with sporadic daily use, I like it; it works. I have doubled the initial resistance settings and do simple interval stuff.  3min.. 5min... enough to make it burn. The huffing and wheezing, reminds me of scratching my way outside when I was proning. (it's only complicated when a customer calls)

The reason I am posting this is I keep looking for specific ideas on how to use it beyond the "45min fat burn" programs.   And a light went off today: a YouTube fellow said something to the effect; "Go hands-free to get more core and improve your balance."   BINGO!   Whoa.. is that hard or what?  You would have thought, someone who stands on a wobbly board would have done this already, by instinct?! 

Hands-free is much more interesting and harder.  I'm going over now for a few minutes.

You got any tricks that work for you?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you use an elliptical?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »
I bought a used Enduro Cycle 420 about two months ago, to offset my reduced paddle time do to a lot of rain. It sits right next to my desk. You're right about fixed exercise machines being boring as hell..  I have a TV, fan, and a clock to keep me on it at least 30 mins every day. It's been great for skiing and surfing. My legs are so much stronger because of it. That translates into a more stable paddling base. You just barely turn the tension knob and you're on a hill. The bike weighs a ton and is rock solid. Super adjustable too. I've got my son riding it to strengthen his legs for basketball.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:29:56 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »
I'm using a treadmill, and yes boring as hell but making progress.  It has a built in iFit wifi which keeps track of my runs and I can download runs from around the globe including video.  Just have not gotten that desperate yet.  Wireless Treblab, headphones were a great call for listening to Pandora (Metalica, Red Hots,etc.)

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 03:38:41 AM »
I cancelled my gym membership in December and purchased the new Bowflex Max Trainer M7. It is like an elliptical meets a stair climber. A solid 21 min workout every day, that works on the sprint concept, so 75 seconds of regular fat burn speed, then 25 seconds of intense full speed action. So far I have dropped from 180 to 167 pounds in only a few months. I also row for 30 minutes a day. This is winter training, now that spring has arrived I look forward to adding in the river SUP training every other day and SUP surfing whenever we get waves.

Here is a link to the M7 if interested in checking it out:

http://www.bowflex.com/max-trainer/m7/100469.html?adID=DOSG2ESL11&psearch=1&gclid=CLTB3cn06dICFQaHswodqoAJAg

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 04:12:13 AM »
The reason I am posting this is I keep looking for specific ideas on how to use it beyond the "45min fat burn" programs.   And a light went off today: a YouTube fellow said something to the effect; "Go hands-free to get more core and improve your balance."   BINGO!   Whoa.. is that hard or what?  You would have thought, someone who stands on a wobbly board would have done this already, by instinct?! 

Hands-free is much more interesting and harder.  I'm going over now for a few minutes.

You got any tricks that work for you?

Jim

I don't have our elliptical anymore. Sold it some time ago. And the one we did have was not fancy. It did not have all the workout programs etc. Was a good solid machine, just did not have all the electronics.

All that being said, one thing I tried was going backwards on it. This used different muscle groups and helped change things up. Not even sure if you can do it on the new ones, but might be worth a try.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 06:25:03 AM »
You guys are cool.  TD.. I can read your mind; you want to race those ladies in the Peleton commercials.  I understand.  It would be hard for me to make the make the mental leap of 'doing the same thing in place' rather than my road at home, and I have the excuse of a 'bad back'.

PDL.. Good for you!  That's a bunch.  I've got a shell and an Alden Wherry on a trailer and was going to buy a Concept 1 rower, but my Neurologist said something like; "No F'ing way!"  (see Bad Back above)

Bean.. K'hrist, I'd slit my throat before I ran on a treadmill, but I envy the Chit of those people you see just 'flowing' on them.  I don't fall as much now, but 'magically', on occasion, the sidewalk comes up and hooks my left toe. Some nasty took place in my spine ((see Bad Back above)) and if I don't pay attention, I drag my left foot like IGOR. I have to stand and fight—I cannot run.

Beam.. Ya, going backward is tricky!  Also a mental thing-weird?!  This NordicTrack has all that electronics but I'm a luddite and figure I can tell when it's getting harder.

I'll piss for a second about NordicTrack:  With 150 hours of TV commercials I suffered thru for the last 20yrs, they sure at hell abandon the effort after the sale. There's a book to assemble the Eiffel Tower, but after that; "Hey we got your money—Shove off."  If you go on YouTube or looking for a decent forum... Nada.  You'd think—there'd be all sorts of stuff?!  "FU—we got your $$."  (I'm a cheap bastard, I bought mine from a lady who fell off it. It was a bitch getting on my trailer. (((see Bad Back above))).   

Cheers.  Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
All that being said, one thing I tried was going backwards on it. This used different muscle groups and helped change things up. Not even sure if you can do it on the new ones, but might be worth a try.

On ellipticals, it's key to go in both directions to balance the muscles.  My physiotherapist insists I do it forwards and backwards.

I also go hands free (my shoulders can't take using the grips anyway).

I usually go for HIIT on it - 6 sets of: 90 seconds at low resistance followed by 30 seconds of full effort on higher resistance. 
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »
Nordic Track has been the beneficiary of high sales, low use ever since the cross country ski machine days. The don't worry about customer service since for the most part they don't have customers--just purchasers. For many years every garage sale had an obligatory nordic track machine--right next to the boxes of national geographic with uncracked spines.

This afternoon I pedaled the Hobie to Wells Island and back. Anyone who is looking at the Mirage drive as a lower-effort water toy is going to be hugely disappointed. I basically drove a stair-stepper for four miles, and it felt like it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:56:55 PM »
Bean.. K'hrist, I'd slit my throat before I ran on a treadmill...

Uh, thanks...seriously it's painful medicine. ;D

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal