Author Topic: So I bought a Hobie Eclipse Mirage...  (Read 15886 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
So I bought a Hobie Eclipse Mirage...
« on: March 20, 2017, 05:06:15 PM »
I've been thinking of doing this for some time--I like the idea if not the execution.  But my paddling workouts were curtailed this winter by some carpal tunnel syndrome and while my weight hasn't changed my waist size has, so I need to pick things up a notch.  I went into the local Kayak shop who are Hobie dealers to ask about availability, and they had one. So I bought it.

I haven't gotten it wet yet, but I thought I'd start a thread about this since I think it's going to head in interesting directions. Today--unboxing.

First off, it's an impressive piece of work. The board is nicely designed and the workmanship is flawless. I'd like to know the construction method, it looks molded. The deck is complex and just really looks well made. the well for the drive and the steering mechanism are very well done, very precise.

So I put everything together and realized how dorky the handlebars look. Take away the bars and it's a great looking rig. I expect to do that anyway, but now I'm even more convinced it's necessary. I plan to add handles like an elliptical machine to engage my core more, and put the steering controls on those handles.

I have to say the handlebars and their related locking system and steering mechanism are extremely well designed and built. I've come to the conclusion that the dorkiness and functionality is a marketing choice, not an engineering/design mistake. There is nothing about this board that indicates in any way that these folks lack vision or that they can't design and build anything they chose to. The elliptical machine design is obvious, and I don't expect it will take me long to design, build and perfect it. If I can see it, they can see it. I presume their marketing research tells them to make it accessible and friendly. the dorky bars do that. It doesn't look like the high-performance torture device I want to turn it into. It looks like fun for the whole family. Yup, yup, yup.

So now we fire up the lathe and the TIG and fuck that up.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: So I bought a Hobie Eclipse Mirage...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 06:49:23 PM »
I think this thing is going to ROCK on a downwinder.  A walker frame on a SUP. Perfect.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »
Oh man, I can't wait for the pictures!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »
Well, if it's a carbon fiber walker frame, we'll all have something to look forward to.  Lead the way PB!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »
Cant wait to watch this come together.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 04:45:44 AM »
I'll be interested to see how well you like it on the water. Looking forward to your review of it.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 05:42:55 AM »
Cool. Will be interesting to see the tweaking mods.
Every time I was out chasing carp and missed a cast last year because the fish was gone by the time I put my paddle down, grabbed my rod, and then loaded the line I thought about you and your "perfect fishing machine..." or (however that exactly went) comment about this thing. That light went off so bright when you said that it is still burning.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 05:48:27 AM »
Why don't you just go balls-out and hook the handlebars up to a foil on the bottom side and pump that beast into a glide pattern?

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 06:24:42 AM »
Why don't you just go balls-out and hook the handlebars up to a foil on the bottom side and pump that beast into a glide pattern?

Already been done...fastest thing I've ever been on. I forget his name but a very interesting guy brought one to a demo that Sailworld put on 5 or so years ago. He had it mounted in an 11 or 12' all-around board and it was FAST. He didn't have a fixed foil but a setup like a whales tail under the board that flapped up and down. The motion using it was like pumping up an inflatable. He also brought it to the Challenge on the Charles and despite being in his seventies and no athlete he was right up near the front of the pack until he hit the weeds in the lagoon.....dead stop. A strong athlete with that gizmo on a race board....I bet maintaining 9 or 10mph would be easily doable.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:05:18 AM »
Pono, Re DW in the gorge:
   Look at the penalty for failure dOOd

Are you sure you want to get wrapped around a handlebar on an epic high wind downwind crash?

2 videos spring to mind.

One is some guy nose planting a 14’ Bullet V2 on a downwind. (could that have been you?)

Another is this:
   http://youtu.be/QVhYjbIRYAs

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:27:26 AM »
I will probably hold off on a full Viento DW until I convert to elliptical-style shafts. Those will collapse against the board in the event of a nose plant (they will pivot forward freely, retained in the vert position only by a bungee). But even if I don't--no, not really worried. I'm more concerned that the flippers in the middle of the board will make it round up in every bump. Anyway, it will make a hell of a video. We'll do that right after we take the Red Dragon 22' on a downwinder. Now THAT has me a little scared. I plan to be the guy with the leash.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37:03 AM »
call RedPaddle and get a Red Dragon DW world championships going.

The potential for epic crash footage is epic.
Not a million spots which are currently feasible for drone coverage.

I'm in. You guys got good beer there?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 09:06:19 AM »
We have a few. Hood River has the largest number of breweries per capita of anywhere in the world. At least that's what everyone says. Seven thousand people, ten breweries. Including Full Sail which is a national brewery, and Double Mountain which is gaining fast on Full Sail. Also lots of cider makers because of all the apples and because of Ryan's, a huge fresh juice company started by David Ryan, starting with his family's 33 acre apple orchard and a hand cider press after he was orphaned at 17 in 1977.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of times we can turn on the Red Dragon. If we can stop laughing long enough, it should be pretty fast.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 09:21:22 AM »
I think this thing is going to ROCK on a downwinder.  A walker frame on a SUP. Perfect.

You're going around the bend partner

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal