Stand Up Paddle > Gear Talk

So I bought a Hobie Eclipse Mirage...

(1/11) > >>

PonoBill:
I've been thinking of doing this for some time--I like the idea if not the execution.  But my paddling workouts were curtailed this winter by some carpal tunnel syndrome and while my weight hasn't changed my waist size has, so I need to pick things up a notch.  I went into the local Kayak shop who are Hobie dealers to ask about availability, and they had one. So I bought it.

I haven't gotten it wet yet, but I thought I'd start a thread about this since I think it's going to head in interesting directions. Today--unboxing.

First off, it's an impressive piece of work. The board is nicely designed and the workmanship is flawless. I'd like to know the construction method, it looks molded. The deck is complex and just really looks well made. the well for the drive and the steering mechanism are very well done, very precise.

So I put everything together and realized how dorky the handlebars look. Take away the bars and it's a great looking rig. I expect to do that anyway, but now I'm even more convinced it's necessary. I plan to add handles like an elliptical machine to engage my core more, and put the steering controls on those handles.

I have to say the handlebars and their related locking system and steering mechanism are extremely well designed and built. I've come to the conclusion that the dorkiness and functionality is a marketing choice, not an engineering/design mistake. There is nothing about this board that indicates in any way that these folks lack vision or that they can't design and build anything they chose to. The elliptical machine design is obvious, and I don't expect it will take me long to design, build and perfect it. If I can see it, they can see it. I presume their marketing research tells them to make it accessible and friendly. the dorky bars do that. It doesn't look like the high-performance torture device I want to turn it into. It looks like fun for the whole family. Yup, yup, yup.

So now we fire up the lathe and the TIG and fuck that up.

stoneaxe:
 ;D ;D ;D

PonoBill:
I think this thing is going to ROCK on a downwinder.  A walker frame on a SUP. Perfect.

Ichabod Spoonbill:
Oh man, I can't wait for the pictures!

Bean:
Well, if it's a carbon fiber walker frame, we'll all have something to look forward to.  Lead the way PB!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version