Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 59014 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 05, 2018, 11:08:33 PM »
Ok, so I’ve been pecking away at this a bit. Going to post some catch up pics of the failure. Notice the ratio of wood to carbon. Major source of weakness.

After that, you see me mocking up a cardboard piece to cut my plywood pieces. Then gluing up my new front piece and finally a shot of it glued into the cut out area of the mast. I’ll carbon the hell out of it, likely 10-12 layers. And then adapt the wing to match it. From now on, the wings will have a flat spot on top to mount up to the wing, or, there’s a chance I might attempt to wax up the front and make a receiving pocket on the wing. Depends on how I’m feeling when this mast is all layered up.

Even got some time in Fusion360 working on new wing design. Who am I?

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »
That first photo really highlights how clean your wing came out.  Good luck!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2018, 11:09:29 PM »
Thx man. I’ve started planning the big wing. Talked to my buddy with the 3D printer today and he can do up to 19” tall so I think we can do this in like 3 pieces with the wings mostly one piece which is cool.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 09, 2018, 08:27:42 PM »
Ok, time to mount things up again. Need to check my angle here. Much discussion about angle of the foil.

The last time, I set it to be level according to the chord line, meaning the line drawn from the fron tip of the foil to the trailing edge. This puts the bottom of the foil angled slightly downward, meaning the leading edge of the bottom of the foil is lower than the trailing edge.

Just checking here. Should the bottom be flat or angled up? Or is my neutral point along the chord?

I’m hearing that I should have 1-3° of positive angle but not sure where to base this on.

Should be able to get this thing mounted again before long but want to make sure I’m not doing this wrong. What’s up foil builders? Flat bottom or what?

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 09, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
Im pretty sure AOA is based on chord line and not the bottom surface of the foil.

The tool in this video is creating a surface parallel to the chord to measure AOA off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCyag5N_vE

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 09, 2018, 09:20:50 PM »
Thx, I’m pretty sure back months ago in this thread that was answered lol.

I’ve been on this so long it’s become comical but I resupplied this weekend and have my new mount design so I’m off and running again.

Also ran into “Pacificmeister” of YouTube efoil fame out at County and he was super encouraging which is often all you need when you are deep in a project.

He also cautioned me about yaw stability with flat wings so I may be adding a little tail stabilization once I test this thing. We will see. My fuselage is not round so I’m wondering if that may act as a bit of a rudder as well.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 06, 2018, 08:34:35 PM »
Ok so it’s back to a solid piece. Take a look at my idea for V2 here.

The idea is to bolt from below the wing into inserts in the bottom of the fuselage to mount the wing. The bulb on the front of the fuselage is 2 3/8” (60mm) wide. Wondering if that will be enough leverage to hold it on. The new Neil Pryde are narrower than that but I could put a plate on it or extend the base just a little with carbon but am really trying to get this wrapped up. Thoughts anyone?

The fuse will have 4 bolts. 2 on either side of the bulb and then 2 further back in a line towards the mast. 4 x 6mm bolts into inserts in the wood and carbon core to hold things in.

Otherwise I think I’m going to follow Kiwi and Container’s lead and start another wing out of plywood to make the prototype quick. Really want a 36” wide wing with some anhedral. Probably make another tail wing too.

One thing is for certain, it will not break at the same place as last time lol. I think the fuse is solid, now just need to make sure my wing can take the strain. Carbon is my friend there until I get a plywood one prototyped up.

Here goes, what do you think of my repair? Just got the hot coat on it last night. More pics to follow.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:38:56 PM by surfcowboy »

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 06, 2018, 11:37:02 PM »
That looks heaps better scb

I think the only reason the fuz wing join on naish and neilpryde can afford to be so small is of how they are molded and basically locked together
My first wing join was 60mm wide and it worked plenty good for a bit until I really started to turn it but it was probably a combination of things really.
with that amount of carbon it should fly sweet as

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
Kiwi, man thanks for the tip on the Heli-Coil. They are great and got me over my hump where I was stuck. I have enough carbon to hold it I think and I’m dropping resin in underneath where the wood is to seal it and help a bit with the hold but I’ve got over 3+ mm of carbon and it seems to grip in fine. We will see but there’s 4 bolts so that’ll help too.

I’m also testing drilling out one of the holes I did and putting resin with chopped and milled fiber in there and putting one in that. That may be better.

Once again, God bless the Zone. I might finish this thing yet.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2020, 06:04:46 PM »
Just updating this after sleeping for a year lol.

Decided to wait to learn to foil on a commercial foil. Just bought a Gong (see other thread on that.) but once I get my skills solid I’m going to fly this thing.

Things I’ve learned:

You can make a mast at home that is as strong as a commercial mast. But I’ll test this one to see how many layers it takes to make something that works.

I was a bit behind on my wing. My big thick 24” span will be funky no doubt. Especially with yaw.

I was a bit ahead on my Stab. Small stabilizers are all the rage and so I’m curious to see if I can adapt this one onto my Gong too.

The jury is out on the fuselage design but I think v2 could be a winner.

Bagging, working with carbon, all the things I learned here were invaluable on my path to being a shaper and board builder. I’ll keep adding as I can and as I test.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal