Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 58996 times)

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »
   I'm super proud of this thing even if it never flies, it's been a great build and I learned a ton. 

That thing will fly. :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2018, 09:23:11 PM »
Ok, Tapatalk is still broken on the zone. I'm not posting pics til it's back. Too much hassle otherwise.

I finally sanded the wings again tonight and got what I think is my last hotcoat on them.

Now just hotcoat the mast and fuse and mount the tail wing. It's coming.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »
Ok, Tapatalk is still broken on the zone. I'm not posting pics til it's back. Too much hassle otherwise.

Don't hold your breath. I have a feeling there's a reason it still doesn't work.  https://androidforums.com/threads/tapatalk-is-being-discontinued.1125895/ 

Like the server error recommends, just view the Zone through a browser on your phone. You can upload pictures straight from your phone. You may need to resize them with a photo app first.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2018, 12:00:36 AM »
Ugh, the resize is the hassle. It was so easy to just push them up and have the app do it for me. Have to find an auto-resize for iOS now.

Thx man. Oh, and ... the sanding... always with the sanding...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »
Ok, mast and fuse hot coated and sanded down for the finish coat.

Small issue, went to put my bolts in the wing mount and when I tighten them down they pull the wing out of square with the fuselage. Looks like my holes are a bit to one side. I'm worried about filling the side of the holes but I mixed up some milled fiber and epoxy and I'm trying.

As a fall back I might drill a hole all the way through the wing and the fuse to keep it from twisting but we will see. I have no idea if I'm over or under building this point but overbuilding is best when in doubt. Seems like a lot of foil parts break.

Otherwise just pushing through the end of this project. Got the rear wing set so it'll have a degree or two of positive angle which seems to be the idea (rear wing "fighting" the wing lift a bit.)

Let me know if you guys have thoughts on the wing, stabilizing the roll. I'm assuming there's a good bit of pressure there with the turning force so I don't want any play in there.

As always, I see a solution... on the next one I build lol.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »
my uneducated advice when i comes to hand shaped foils- near enough is good enough. out of square by a degree or two? good enough, mast not quite symmetrical? good enough. these things flex more than a degree or two under normal operating conditions anyway and there are so many other variables to consider when flying a home made foil, especially a mk.1, you quickly find that unless the whole thing is to go foil standard then a bit out of whack here and there doesnt mean diddly squat.
i can 100% guarantee none of my foils have been square, level or true and they work just fine  ;D

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
Dude, is is what I need to hear right now lol.

I'm working on an alternate plan for taking out some of the slack while finishing the final gloss coat. I'm also already getting into designing mark II for sure.

In good news my wing and mast are seriously stiff so that's encouraging. Ready to get this in the water for sure.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 06, 2018, 01:29:05 AM »
Testing an image post now that we've lost Tapatalk permanently (man that made content easy to publish RIP.)

Put some pad enhancements on to place my feet. This is based on the Beasho / Pono measurements and should get me a way to start. I'm thinking I'll have to add more but until I figure out strap/no strap etc this should place me at least.

Getting a decent pic workflow started so watch this space. This thing is almost there.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:32:02 AM by surfcowboy »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2018, 01:33:05 AM »
I'll go back and fill in the story but here's where it stands today.

Just need to get the tail mounted and then a final hotcoat.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: June 06, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »
So.... close. Like a cowbird just hatched.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2018, 11:49:37 PM »
Drilled my tail wing holes tonight and filled them with resin and chopped fibers. I'll drill them tomorrow night and hopefully get the tail on and start the final hotcoat. It's happening.

Still haven't found anyone with a 3D printer who can print me up a wing plug. Gotta get back on that and make myself a second wing.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2018, 08:11:22 PM »
Ok, catching up with pics and posting as I go. One shot is the Clay dam I built to hold in the resin that I poured to make a flat base for my tail wing so I could mount it upside down. I poured it and then sanded it flat (well, really to about 2° which is what most foil people seem to say start at from my research. I can fix that with shims.)

I might clean up the sides of that resin block, or not. I'm liking the "prototype" feel of this thing.

Other pic is of the holes I drilled, filled with resin and chipped fibers, and then drilled through the resin to prevent water infiltration. If I can find some 3/16 threaded inserts this week locally, I'll wrap this one in a few more "30 min after work" sessions.

Ok, now. Am I supposed to have this rear wing with its foil down? If flip it if not. Who's got some facts, or even opinions on this one? I need to hear from the peanut gallery. Is that tail lifting up or pushing down?  Strangely I'm thinking it should lift up to counter balance the foil wanting to wheelie but I'm guessing (and hoping) that I'm wrong. LOL

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
Yeah the stabiliser wing always provides negative lift so that when you stand further forward of the whole thing on a board there is something to lever against.
Better explanation here: https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/Some-Foil-theory?page=1
What foil profiles have you used for your main wing and stab?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »
The main profile is back in these 15 pages lol. I posted it all up. The tail is straight out of my ass. Just "winged" it I guess. Main wing is super fat, 1.5". The idea is to fly at super slow speed for learning.

The point of this was to see if you could foil, for $200 and zero knowledge and we're about to find out. ;)

Thx for the info on the negative lift totally makes sense now.

kiwi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 13, 2018, 03:39:36 PM »
Oh yeah you weren't kidding, those profiles are seriously fat, I'm working on something with a clark y 12% at the moment, not sure if that will be enough but we'll see.

Going to post it up to the zone in a couple weeks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal