Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 59003 times)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2018, 05:49:31 AM »
Surfcowboy, are you still in Houston? If so, we should have a bump arrive this weekend and I have extra boards.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:52:31 AM by windwakerider »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »
Oh man! Windwake thank you. I'm back in LA but should be back before too long. I'll hit you up. I also am dying to bring a foil as I think the Gulf is ripe for foiling. Tanker waves too since you shouldn't even need them to break so we may not have to chase them too badly or pick only certain spots. I'd love to meet up for a paddle when I'm back in town, even if it's just a flat one. ;)

Blackeye, you've sent me down a YouTube hole with the bladder thing now lol. Thx for that link. I'm watching all that guy's other vids now.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2018, 03:55:49 AM »
Looking forward to it surfcowboy.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2018, 09:50:50 PM »
You guys said to put a big ugly fillet on this thing, right?

It’ll smooth out with a little sanding and then I’ll start laying on the final carbon layers.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »
Where did you get the rhinoceros skin?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »
Super rare. Picked it up out of the back door of Space X.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »
Looks like a couple minutes with sandpaper on a round stick and you'll be golden.
I forgot to consider twisting loads from the wing to the fuselage. I may end up with a couple 'big ugly' fillets too.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »
Super rare. Picked it up out of the back door of Space X.
That’s classic cowboy!
Question: Could you have used the fiberglass rope that they use for glassed on fins instead? Can use fingers to mold it in place. Or would that not be strong enough for this application?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2018, 10:19:58 PM »
808, this was a weird one. Had I just used cabosil I'd have been able to make a small one and that would have been it. But since I used microballoons and it spread out, I just decided to fill it in and avoid all the sanding. It worked out but yes, it could have been about half the size.

I just need to smooth it a bit with some sanding and then I'll lay carbon over it. It'll be pretty bombproof at least. But it's gonna look like I have a Tuttle adapter on it lol.

Like all things with this build, the next one will be smaller  ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2018, 11:05:05 PM »
I'd recommend chopped carbon for stuff like this. It's surprisingly strong even though the filaments are not continuous. And of course there's nothing to buy, just chop up some carbon scrap and mix it with epoxy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 13, 2018, 10:39:17 PM »
I add some milled fiber as well most of the time. Since I was covering this and wanted to sand it easy I went without here. Should be fine but it's crazy how much strength just those tiny fibers add.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »
I sanded this down, then filled and re-sanded smooth (pic coming, I'm having issues with Tapatalk.)

I've got the underside of the plate and the transition to the mast in the bag now. You know how you've got a good wife? She will help you get parts into the bag. You know when you have a really good wife? She knew to put peel ply on but didn't mention it and let me do what I was doing. Lol.

Probably losing a bag today but I know I married well. I also told her that I trust her enough that if she's sees me doing something goofier than usual to mention it. But minding your own business is a major part of staying married so God bless her.

If I have another bag, I'll try to get my mast layers on one night this week. It's light outside now after work so I've got no excuse to slack on my sanding. Pics coming soon.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »
Plate and fillet done. I'm having issues with Tapatalk so I can't upload right now. (Paging admin, I'm getting a server error.) I'm still blown away at the strength of plywood covered in carbon. Next one I build will have less wood I think now that I know the strength involved.

All I have left for glassing is to lay up the mast. Hoping to do that tomorrow, then it's off to Vegas for a week of work (Laird help me.) when I get back, hot coats and then finally, mounting the tail wing. Getting close boys.

Then, what next? ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:53:51 PM by surfcowboy »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2018, 11:04:08 PM »
Laid up the mast tonight. 3x 6oz carbon, 3x 4 oz glass over 2 x 6oz strips laid on at 45° Angle. Out of the bag, nut not yet hotcoated, it's 3 lbs, 3 oz. with the wing, it should all float.

Haven't tweaked on it due to it curing but it seems bulletproof. I'm super proud of this thing even if it never flies, it's been a great build and I learned a ton. Patience pays off for sure.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2018, 07:21:24 AM »
I'm having issues with Tapatalk so I can't upload right now. (Paging admin, I'm getting a server error.)

Me too. Tapatalk stopped working for me a while ago, but only with the standupzone. It says 'Server error'.  I just blew if off and open TheZone in a web browser on my phone.

Looking good Cowboy!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal