Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 59000 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2018, 02:03:31 PM »
I think it would be strong enough as is but I would put a fillet there so when you lay the remainder of carbon up it doesn't have to go around such a sharp angle as it will be a potential area of fatigue In the future.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2018, 03:15:52 PM »
That came out clean!

This photo of the plate makes it look like some liquid cooled super computer netflix server. Can you make me one? My netflix buffering sux.

(how come the photo doesn't come out in the quote? It was the one on the top of the previous page)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2018, 08:30:43 PM »
+1 on the fillet, and make it chunky. Lots of stress there and that sharp corner is going to make a nice hinge.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2018, 08:47:13 PM »
Blackeye, thanks man. Lol. That was carbon with 1 layer of 4 oz glass but I used white pigment in the lam resin as a test and it came out that grey color.

Thanks for the idea on the fillet. Had I thought earlier I'd have done it out of wood but as it is I can mix up a strong bog with resin, microballoons and chopped fiber. Weight is not even an issue and I'm not that worried about drag. Those Tuttle to plate adapters are way bigger.

I'll lay on a big ass fillet before I do any more fabric for sure. You're right about the hinge. The bag makes those corners sharp. Good looking but not the best for strength.

I gotta say, it's nice to have the feedback. Thank you guys. For a while there it was just me and UK plugging away. I was feeling lonely. ;)

I can't wait to see what other builds come out of this forum.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
Quote from: surfcowboy

I gotta say, it's nice to have the feedback. Thank you guys. For a while there it was just me and UK plugging away. I was feeling lonely. ;)

Teaser from the snowy Midwest...thanks for the inspiration!
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2018, 08:17:07 PM »
Sweet! CNC?

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2018, 09:20:39 PM »
Yes, CNC. Designed in Fusion360, exported to STL, and then MeshCAM for generating the G-Code.
After that it goes through Cutviewer for a simulation and then LinuxCNC to drive the router.
Fusion is also capable of generating G-Code but I have not tried it yet.

Be safe, have fun. -J

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »

I try to stay quiet because I'm a dilettante. I study and watch, learn and forget. You and Supuk are doing it. I've done repairs and wasted materials on some ideas that include foils.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2018, 01:12:46 AM »
Blackeye that's exactly what I did to learn to make boards. Then I scaled up my tests.

Jrandy that plate with the cutout is really what i needed to do. I did a smaller version of it but that's a solid start on a connection. I dug back into Fusion 360 this week and am about to get into exporting gcode myself with slic3r for some tests. Oh and I found a lock maker space with a laser cutter. Also hoping for a CNC but haven't been able to confirm that yet.

Building stuff by hand is fun but some precision would be nice too.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2018, 02:19:54 AM »
Yes, CNC. Designed in Fusion360, exported to STL, and then MeshCAM for generating the G-Code.
After that it goes through Cutviewer for a simulation and then LinuxCNC to drive the router.
Fusion is also capable of generating G-Code but I have not tried it yet.

Great job, you should try fusion cam as its only a click of a button to do and does the simulation also. Cam is like another art to learn there is just so much detail in doing it properly I haven't even started to scratch the surface.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
Hi Charlie, how long does it take to set up and feel comfortable with Fusion360 CAM?

Hi Cowboy, I hope the maker space and other experiments go well. It's fun to watch parts go from mind-screen-machine-hands.
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2018, 12:41:41 PM »
Hi Charlie, how long does it take to set up and feel comfortable with Fusion360 CAM?

Hi Cowboy, I hope the maker space and other experiments go well. It's fun to watch parts go from mind-screen-machine-hands.

to do something like that its very easy and fairly intuitive. There's a fare bit on you tube to understand the basics

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
As I always preach, patience. But sometimes you just have to go surf. I had to leave before this set up well and it slumped so I'll have a little sanding to do and then fill the corner to get a nice fillet. All good. Stuff happens.

I did wanna show something I figured out for the new bag guys.

Pulling the bag away from the lower side of a shape let's you get a really nice lap instead of a flat plate at the bottom to sand off.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2018, 10:15:52 PM »
Thanks cowboy for inspiring me to try bagging! I've been too intimidated to try it before now. Your thread has given me hope that some sort of success will be achieved. And it did! Here are two pics. of my first attempt. I don't want to hijack your thread so keep up the great work and photos. I'm sure there are others like me who are learning while you are working through it. Thanks again to you and all the other DIY'S!!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2018, 11:30:55 PM »
As I always preach, patience. But sometimes you just have to go surf. I had to leave before this set up well and it slumped so I'll have a little sanding to do and then fill the corner to get a nice fillet. All good. Stuff happens.

I did wanna show something I figured out for the new bag guys.

Pulling the bag away from the lower side of a shape let's you get a really nice lap instead of a flat plate at the bottom to sand off.

Use cabosil in your mix it is designed as a anti slumping agent

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal