Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 59008 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2018, 08:13:43 PM »
And one more. Top plate carbon.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2018, 04:42:45 AM »
That came out clean!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Thx man. That's the 5th bagging run for me so hopefully working out the learning curve.

Now I gotta get that mast and plate into a giant bag. Wish me luck!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
Ok so Saturday’s projects are more hotcoat on wings and finally mounting the plate on the mast. It’s finally becoming a foil.

If you look closely I routed a little section that I could fill with epoxy and chopped fiber to set the mast in. Then I laid a single layer of 4 Oz to “glue” things together as straight and true as I can. That’ll hopefully make the carbon layup easier to manage.

Now to nap til everything kicks.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2018, 08:18:40 AM »
Did you dream about flying?

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »
Looking good B!
I found myself disinterested in foiling but recent posts and pictures are making me feel otherwise.
Have I been sucked into the dark side known as DIY foiling?
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2018, 09:36:31 AM »
Oooh. I’d say that all the guys near lakes should get a foil. It’s one of my thoughts should I spend the summer back near my folks. I can’t surf but I could hitch a ride with my skiing buddies all summer.

Is that a canard wing set up? I just had the thought that my next foil might be one of those. Thinking of printing some parts to carbon up and making that rig one of my tests once I get a good wing running. (Next project). With your skills you could kill it man. Like all of this stuff it’s practice and patience.

I got mine mocked up today. Don’t mind the wonky angles. None of this is locked down, just stacked up so I can see it all in one place finally.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2018, 10:09:39 AM »
I spent time on the mast (to fit within a Tuttle box) and the plate (for 90mm centered tracks).
Still 'sussing out the fuselage, thinking I will adopt a bolt-on foil concept, perhaps compatible with mass-market types.
The foils shown are 'fakes', a couple splines extruded to make it look plausible. The front is negatively tapered giving it a little curve.
Once I have a better grip on the dimensions for the 'fuzz' I will probably start in on it.

Edit: Thanks again for the inspiration. Now back to our regulary scheduled Surfcowboy prorgamming...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:49:39 AM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2018, 11:06:10 AM »
Oooh. I’d say that all the guys near lakes should get a foil. It’s one of my thoughts should I spend the summer back near my folks. I can’t surf but I could hitch a ride with my skiing buddies all summer.

Is that a canard wing set up? I just had the thought that my next foil might be one of those. Thinking of printing some parts to carbon up and making that rig one of my tests once I get a good wing running. (Next project). With your skills you could kill it man. Like all of this stuff it’s practice and patience.

I got mine mocked up today. Don’t mind the wonky angles. None of this is locked down, just stacked up so I can see it all in one place finally.

nice not fare to go now!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2018, 05:38:39 PM »
Lol I know right? Trust me I'll be foiling for sure before I go.

Got one sides 45° strips laid up this afternoon. Bagged it up and clamped it to a straight board to keep it from warping. Should have the other side done early tomorrow and hope to lay up the covering layer of carbon and glass and have the mast somewhat done. Fuselage should be less hassle being straight and consistent shape.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »
And we're done. Laid down nice and tight. That's 2 layers of 6 oz carbon.

I am loving the bagging now. It really does make laminating better. I get why people put up with the hassle and setup.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2018, 06:01:03 AM »
Looking great B!
What are your plans for a lamination schedule overall?
Will you be adding a fillet between the plate and mast?
-J

Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
Thanks man.

I'm thinking that I'll wrap another layer of carbon at 90° and 3 x 4 oz glass around the mast for a total of 3, 6 oz carbon and 3, 4 oz glass. The first 2 layers were cut on 45°.

The plate has those first 2 layers wrapped up onto it. I'm going to add another layer of carbon and 3 of glass on the transition and to cover the underside of the plate. There are patches of carbon on the front and rear of the plate/mast connection too so that will all be covered with the top layers.

I'll top that off with a layer to lap the sides, probably laid on from the top of the plate.

I'm sure I'll put a little chopped fiber and resin to make a fillet but nothing too big. I set the mast in a little fiber and resin and so I hope all that will do me. The Clearwater kits don't have anything near that to my knowledge.

I'd love to hear from other folks on here as to what they think of this but I think I'm good with the built in structure of the ply under this all. I can always add glass on top if it's not stiff enough when I'm done with this.

The hardest thing is getting a little time each day to lay things up. I end up only getting to do like 3 layups a weekend. If there was more time after work and a little warmer weather I could probably knock this all out in a few weeks now. I'm anxious to do another one and see how fast it can go next time.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »

I'm sure I'll put a little chopped fiber and resin to make a fillet but nothing too big. I set the mast in a little fiber and resin and so I hope all that will do me.

Great project so far.

I don't have real life experience on these foils, but the top plate join to the mast seems like the weakest link. Why not have a big fillet there? HD foam or wood, maybe 1" high/wide, maybe bigger, then your final layers. You could fair out the leading and trailing edges of this so it isn't to abrupt, but it will be far less drag than the leading edge of your plate.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2018, 01:05:29 PM »
Yeah, I agree with the fillet idea. A lot of stress /moment at that connection. A fillet will reinforce that ? ? 90% ;) Even if it is as large as 1", it won't matter at all once you're fly'n dude!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal