Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 59055 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »
Mast started today. I’m thinking the sea breeze post is wrong as I can’t really find decent 3mm ply so I went 5 mm (1/4” in the us.)

I cut my profiles out rough and I’ll finish them with a sander and/or router after laminating it together.

Seems like 3 ply with glass between and carbon and glass on the outside is the idea for now. Should get stuff enough. I also chose to make the mast and fuse all in one now to hopefully add some strength and avoid one more joint.

For the fuselage I’m adding 2 more plies. I think that’ll get me to about 1.5 inches with the carbon and glass laid on.

Now, I’ve got to see about a bagging rig for a single project. (UK don’t try to sway me into a big real rig, I’ve got way too many tools as it is lol.)

At least this will let me test some stuff and materials are pretty cheap at this size.

Hoping to cut an eps wing this weekend.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:19:34 PM by surfcowboy »

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2017, 02:02:25 PM »
I am assuming you are planning to add glass in the same plane as the plywood ie between plywood layers. I wouldn't bother as there isn't much advantage. If you think the fibre is justified, add it to the outside layers.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »
Thank God you posted, I was beginning to think only U.K. Could see my posts. Lol

Yes, but just a layer of 4oz. You think resin only will be as stiff? I really don't want flex.

I have carbon at 0° and 45° for the outside with glass over that for sanding

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2017, 10:10:26 PM »
Just use resin glue for plywood to plywood. It comes in a powder. You just add a very little water. I needs 24 hrs to fully cure. It's what they actually make plywood out of. Put talcum powder on your clamps and anything else you don't want to get stuck to the excessive glue and drips.

Looking cool Cowboy!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2017, 12:09:44 AM »
Yes you want the fibers to be out as far as posable, you won’t have a problem with stiffness down the length of the fuz with that much ply it will be torsion that you may still get so put nearly all your cloth of the 45 on the fuz

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »
Cool, alright, I'll grab some of that stuff and use it and I can reorient my fabric as well. I hadn't thought that really I'm building a tube around a core more than anything.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:49 PM »
Thank God you posted, I was beginning to think only U.K. Could see my posts. Lol

Yes, but just a layer of 4oz. You think resin only will be as stiff? I really don't want flex.

I have carbon at 0° and 45° for the outside with glass over that for sanding

I'm a bodger compared to most on this site. The last tube I made is a grotesque mess. I came up with an inquistional device to free it from its mandrel and largely destroyed both pieces.

I did manage to help a friend rebuild his sailboat's rudder. I proposed a scheme, he ground out the damage, we applied carbon goodness, vac bagged, he sanded, and the pintles fit back on beautifully. Couldn't believe it. My reputation somewhat elevated.

2x4 oz layer on the inside of plywood layers will do about nothing. 1x4 on each outside a whole lot more with the same weight.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2017, 06:07:04 PM »
Ok, got the resin glue. Gonna try to lam up this mast and get it shaped in the next week. This project is moving slooooow due to the early nights and me hating to sand in my garage so have to try to glue at night and sand on weekends.

I think I have my bagging setup decided on as well so probably do a test wing layup soon as well.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
Ok foil masters, this is a 7’5” Simmons shape. I’m thinking of dropping my UK mount in with the back of the boxes at 18” from tail.

That’ll get me pretty close to flat (at least in shim distance) and maybe perfect when I’m paddling.

Thoughts?

Also, stay flat to bottom or try to flatten it in my sinking the front a bit more? I’m thinking flat and shin if I have to for simplicity.

What say guys?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2017, 01:18:51 PM »
I would go with flat with the bottom of the board and then use a shims to play with the angle.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2017, 02:03:11 PM »
Thx, I have to say, this insert is bombproof. I’m really impressed. It’s got to be the strongest way to do this. The foam is crazy strong. Nothing like eps or regular surfboard poly.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
The lesson of this one? Slow and steady wins the race.

Got my mast pieces all cleaned up. Made one solid one and then used a trim router to make the others match. I made an extra one so I can keep the template and make others if this one works well.

Time to glue these up and grind em to shape.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »
Good job get on it and get it done! Can’t belive more are not building there own!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »
I'm feeling it now, especially now that I have a way to swap wings. It puts a lot less at stake and I feel like if the wing is funky I can just iterate til I get one I like.

I was considering 24" x 8" (61cm x 20cm) but now seeing all the giant wings I'm wondering if I should go wider? I do have a really thick profile (almost 4cm) 1.5 inches so I think it'll be fine at slow speed for me.

Think that's wide enough for learning on a flat wing? I guess I should just keep it simple and build it lol.

I don't think I can surf this weekend so hoping to shape and maybe start to laminate the wing.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »
Cowboy, I have been appreciating your humor, I usually smile and have a good chuckle reading your posts.  :D

I'm digging your diy foil build, and taking studious notes so I can jump off the fence and start building some.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal