Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 59018 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »
Oh man, out here it means, poop in the ocean from runoff. People ruin everything.

But I got the sides cut down so it's 12" X 18" now and I can paddle with my arms to get I earlier. Also put a grey shop floor foam deck pad on it just so it floats a bit more and so no one will think I'm fancy. ;)

Next trip I gotta get some footage of this thing.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
Oh man, out here it means, poop in the ocean from runoff. People ruin everything.
Ah, cultural/geo differences. Didn't think of poop. I envy your sun. I don't have poop concerns. Except in False Creek. Probably should in Deep Cove and Eagle Harbour when its super warm.   

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »
Update:

Ok I cut it down to 18" wide. It's still 12" front to back. Works great and I can paddle to get into the wave.

I learned something today about why surffoils video looks like it does. When you are in the whitewater on a wave the foil doesn't lift as much and so you are flying, you can feel it, but you are really just barely off the water. When you're in the green part of the wave you lift off fine and man is it fast. I outran the wave a couple of times.

I'll be out with friends soon and get some video. I suspect it won't be staggering since you're laying in the water, but the feeling is super fun and way smoother than a boogie board. No bounce.

Next step is to try with no stabilizer. I'm pretty sure I don't need it with my legs dragging to keep me balanced.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2017, 02:29:57 PM »

Here you go. I understand now why surfoils shots are hard to understand. With  6" of lift it's hard to see the space but that board is 1" thick so it's not out of that wave due to buoyancy. I'll try to get some video up later but I wanted to get this up for all the guys who've been asking. 12"x18" lifts pretty well on a knee high wave.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »

Here you go. I understand now why surfoils shots are hard to understand. With  6" of lift it's hard to see the space but that board is 1" thick so it's not out of that wave due to buoyancy. I'll try to get some video up later but I wanted to get this up for all the guys who've been asking. 12"x18" lifts pretty well on a knee high wave.
Looks like fun Cowboy.  I think you're onto something that could replace the boogie board.... Something a mom could fold up and put in her beach bag, but the kids will want. Of course the dads will need a dad size version.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »
Man, I just wanna build the next of my collection of surffoils craft. Linear foils next?

Maybe one of those oval foils that's flat instead of foiled? But also I sort of need to get to work on a Clearwater kit.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2017, 03:26:34 AM »
I cant help but think are these foils or ski's?

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2017, 03:31:03 AM »
Too small for skis based on a top speed of 8 m/s.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2017, 03:52:35 AM »
I think it would be border line if you include the speed of the water on to that. I can ski on my feet from about 12m/s. just a thought, as skis have the ability to carve very hard

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »
The pics gone but did you notice th depth variation between the foils sections ?
 One of the simplest foil arrangements is having a canard style where the smaller font section sets the height for the rear foil. It's also how to get a foil that carves on a steep wave face at any speed. I don't think ive every gone over 25 mph, if you measure out 8 yards or metres it's a lot of ground to cover. I focus on the 5-20 mph range.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 11:28:56 PM »
I'm thinking about the canard actually. Even wondering if it would work on a bigger board sort of a middle aged geezer foil. ;)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
OK, back to it. I've been going back and forth about designs and have been about every way you can on this.

I'm thinking the Clearwater is probably fine for behind a boat but I can't get info or video of anyone flying one on a wave. They simply look too thin to fly at slow speed.

I considered adding a layer to the bottom, like Pono, only for thickness as well as chord length but then I kept hearing UK tell me to just get some materials and start chopping, so here goes.

Starting with those of you who know such things, I wanted to ask about the thickness towards the ends of my foil. Should I thin it out more or keep the thickness more to the ends to maintain lift when turning? Should I buck the trend to test something for us?

Here are the 2D drawings I'm starting from, again, these are rough but looking at the profile to see if I should keep that thickness further out or not. What says the peanut gallery?

The red line on the template is my guess at the thickest part of the foil.

Also included is a layup to lam up some 3/4 birch plywood to get a piece thick enough for the anhedral. Again, just showing the theory, not an exact scale drawing yet. Might make them all full thickness and then cut the arc with a series of circular or table saw cuts to get the wood out of there quickly and save an hour of grinding. I'll link a YouTube video of a guy doing that.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:56:37 AM by surfcowboy »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2017, 09:58:27 AM »
You Tube Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE49vhNcMK4

Also, I can get 1" plywood here, should I maybe go to a 2" thick foil or 1 3/4"?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2017, 10:54:27 AM »
If you are going for the full anhedral design perhaps consider hot wiring a foam core and then make a jig to bend the curve perhaps and then glassing it nice and heavy.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
That was my other thought and probably easier to do. (Even without hot wire.) A 4" thick piece of WPS with my edge flattening tool would get me to a good starting point and then come sandpaper on a shipping tube would get me my anhedral.  I really don't think I wanna mess with a flat one other than maybe for A/B testing. But I can make a flat one super fast and already have the materials here.  I'm hoping to get my fuselage to where I can bolt on wings for testing.

I was concerned about being able to glass it heavy enough. If I got a little carbon in there, what would you consider a decent layup schedule?

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal