Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 59013 times)

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »
When foiling on a bodyboard your legs are dragging behind, that gives you plenty of fore / aft stability, it also means you don't need as much area because you're not lifting your entire weight, maybe 60-70%.
Turning it will be easy,it's only a single foil and will pivot around that COG easily, in fact without your feet dragging it will be quite unstable in yaw.
 If take the fins for extra kick into the wave and becuase you're new to foiling,if you kick outta some point and kick into the foil you won't be happy. Consider the fins to be safety equipment.
Even at a low speed , that's a foil with big lift.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 12:47:29 AM »
Foil mounted today. I gave myself 2-3" between the rear of the board and the trailing edge as advised.

The aluminum is also more than strong enough when screwed into the board and wing. I have just over 7" to the water. I'm sealing it up with some spar varnish and hoping to test this weekend if I can get a buddy to assist/film/laugh at, me.

I'll shoot pics in the am if I can.

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 02:32:55 AM »
So stoked to know you've built your own and you will be amazed how easy it is to foil with a basic shape.
Even at low speed you're going up in the world !!

You'll be bustin' a move like this up the beach after !!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

Maybe wait until you get home...

But it feels like this especially the speed when you're prone,  you really are flying.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXCs41DkWs

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:58:15 AM by SURFFOILS »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 06:17:33 AM »
All this stuff is driving me nuts at the moment because I can't jump in myself.... :(. Love the idea of playing with foils on a bodyboard 1st. Seems far easier and faster. I have so many projects backlogged on my list now it's frustrating....and that's not even counting all the stuff my wife will want done on the new house. But once I have my new workshop setup I'm going to make some sawdust and I think something like this will be one of the 1st things out.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »
Well Boys. It works. My legs could use some exercise but I got a few good rides in before I wore out and had to get a longer board to ride.

I added a stabilizer up front ( thank you DW) but I'm pretty sure I don't need it.

Caught a couple thigh high mushy waves and like Dave Kalama says, pushed the nose down and it went. I could steer and went down the line into the unbroken face. Super stable.

Mods for next trip. Cut the wingspan down so I can paddle with my arms. Get more padding on the deck and wax it up again to make some speed before the wave tosses me into it.

Work out my hamstrings. Wow I haven't swam with fins for months.

Finally, test without the stabilizer and yes... get some pics.

I fully kooked it with a full face motocross helmet for safety. But I don't think I need it going forward, the foil stays in the water pretty well and if you let go, as you know, you can fade into the wave pretty easily. Still, glad I did it for the inaugural run. I'm doing it for boat training when I get a taller foil.

I also checked in with the lifeguard since I was alone and let him know that while I was crazy, I wasn't that crazy. He was pretty stoked and curious. We talked after and he encouraged me to get it into bigger waves so it could really get going.

All in all, a moderate success and yes, it doesn't take much to get foiling. Btw, my stabilizer is a flat aluminum plate.

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 07:44:03 PM »
Was there any doubt that you're a genius ??!
 Told ya ! So easy and you don't need all the carbon, just a piece of ply will do.
 So glad that you had fun and experienced foiling, I think you can ditch the canard and the helmet.
Because of the way a foil is shaped it doesn't want to keep going once you've fallen but I always hang on to a prone foil. It can't get you if you're on the other side of the board !
 You can cut the foil down to 16 inches wide, even more once you've graduated from The Foil Academy.LLC.  8)
 And that ply looks about 1/2 in thick, But you can go to 6mm with glass on both sides and it's superfast.
 If you take a leap of faith and try a longer foil say 24 long by 13 wide you'll see how the change in dimensions changes the performance.
 Once again, I'm so glad you had fun at a reasonable price. It's a blast isn't it ?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
Yeah man. So fun!

I'm gonna hack on it a bit to get it a bit more narrow and also get a more buoyant board.

Also gotta get a trip to the metal yard to find more bracket material. I'm thinking there are some longitudinal foils in my testing future as well.

Thanks for the help seņor foils, uK, Pono and all the guys who pitched in.

Now, what to mount under a SUP?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »
Very cool. Your lifeguard experience is typical. Anyone looking to lifeguards for conservative safety suggestions if nuts. Those guys are dangerous.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 12:49:42 AM »
For those of you playing at home, here's 4 test boards that may whet your appetite for home grown foiling.
No 1 board is a standard bodyboard with painted ply strips top and bottom with thin bolts holding them. The wooden strips are an easy way of screwing struts to the board and moving them back and forth.
 Board 2 is a 1 inch thick wooden paipo with 20 mm foam floor tiles glued on.
Board 3 is an EPS epoxy prone board with fin boxes to hold the struts.
Board 4 is a snapped surfboard with fin boxes.
 If you're thinking of making your own all of these versions work equally well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:59:41 AM by SURFFOILS »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 05:16:01 AM »
Well Boys. It works.

Awesome.  This is fun to watch.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 06:07:09 AM »
+1 ...Right on S-Cowboy!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 09:27:28 AM »
Cool!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 03:59:24 AM »
Argh, stuck in Vegas for work. I'm dried out and worn out lol.

Can't wait to get back to the garage and the ocean. I have my padding and a plan to cut down the wings which should get me a better (well, at least different) result..

More to come. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 10:01:08 AM »
Ok it's raining. Maybe today I can cut this wing down a bit and get ready for my next outing. I've got three buddies itching to get on this thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 12:12:04 PM »
Ok it's raining.
That's my then 5 year old's logic! She couldn't go swimming because it was raining out! Yeah, getting wet when in the water sucks. ;)  We all had a good laugh about that.

I know what you mean though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal