Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 59559 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2018, 06:06:01 PM »
Ok today really tested the low dollar bagging rig.

First, I drilled some holes to fill with resin and then drill again for bolts or inserts to keep the wing from twisting. (More on that later. )

Then I got down to business laying a 6 Oz carbon and 4oz S glass patch on top. (Anyone think I need more than that here?)

As you can see, I got stretchon
film and the good tape. Note, they only had the grey, not the yellow. Seems fine.

Put some foam to keep film out of the hose. As you can see, I just taped it in.

It pulls down tight, Jrandy, I forgot to cut the carbon and glass in my excitement to bag it all, but it sucked down fine I think. I’ll pull the film later tonight.

And there’s my $20 pump. I was all set to have to do a ton to this thing and I’ll be dammed if it didn’t have intake ports that fit the aquarium hose hiding inside. I drilled 2 holes in the top and ran the tubes out and joined them with a T.

It will do fine for these parts. Not sure I’d do a board with it but it’s great for foil building and since it’s magnetic instead of an impeller, it can’t really burn out. I just let it pull and it runs cool for hours.

Hope to make my plate and back wing tomorrow so I’ll be ready to bag the wings this week.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2018, 09:02:52 PM »
Ok, holy sh&at, bagging is a revelation! I pulled the peel ply off and it's unbelievable how nice the finish is. Pono I see that "tooth" you refer to often. I love it.

UK, DW, Pono, Jrandy, why didn't you make me get a bagging setup sooner?! lol. It's really unbelievable.

I'll never fix a ding without bagging again. So much better.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2018, 10:11:57 PM »
Ok..... I'm inspired to try bagging on my next project. First I have to clear out and re-organize actually organize my shop with an emphasis on board building.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2018, 12:30:28 AM »
A real bagging setup is a worthwhile investment. Useful for more than just glassing. It also lets you do infusion, which is a great addition to your toolset.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »
TallDude, it’s really cool. Check these pics of tearing off the peel ply.

I’d heard “no sanding” and couldn’t believe it. But it’s true. Crazy.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
This weekend I got the hotcoat done on the board mount. I'll sand it this week. Also trying to get the inserts into my paddle shaft mount as well this week.

I didn't full coat it with white pigment so I just did the hot coat and it's sort of a milky effect but it keeps things cool which was my concern.

Hoping to carbon this thing up next weekend and start making it look like a foil.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
Sanded the boxes down today. Pics tomorrow. The install looks great if I do say so.

One small mistake that I'm not worried about but others should watch out for. I went too deep with my cassette and had to fill in. Ended up adding a pound or so of weight I didn't need. Live and learn.

Put in my threaded brass inserts today and they are curing now. I'll melt out the wax tomorrow and test my bolts.

Trying to get the mast plate and rear wing done this weekend but now it's light after 5pm again so work will speed up. Ready for summer foiling?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2018, 11:35:01 PM »
Much progress today. Bagged the first 2 layers on my wing and mounted the paddle shaft connection to it. I'll reinforce them as a unit going forward with a few more layers of glass but I just wanted to get this part done and out of my head so to speak.

Got a few wrinkles but overall I’m happy with the bag job. For those who are wanting to try it, it’s easier than it seems. Just do it.

If any of you guys have some advice on getting my corners better, let me know. Should I try to wrap them up in the bag when putting them in? Maybe masking tape over the peel ply? I’d love to get the rounded front corners to lay a little better instead of just sanding them down. Thoughts?

I got a lot of edges to trim for sure but getting it out of the bag while still a little soft was great as I cut most of it off with an xacto.

Mounting the wing was easier but stressful. Getting all the angles right was a challenge for sure.

I’ll go over this with a few layers of glass in the am and then bag another 3 layers of 4 Oz over the whole wing. Hoping that 20 Oz of glass is enough. We shall see.

Have to mark those top holes so I can find them once the glass is laid on top too. That is an interesting challenge as well. Next time I’ll just wait and drill the whole thing out after the wing is done. Live and learn, right?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:37:20 PM by surfcowboy »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2018, 07:26:28 PM »
Laid on 4 x 4oz glass today and I think I'm done. 24 oz or 6 layers should do me for this one.

I beefed up the area over the mount point and that's curing now. I think things will move quicker now, this was the hardest part of the project.

Even if this thing flies like a dog, it's been a great learning project. Just getting bagging skills will change my board building forever.

One tip, for bagging wings I've been using the stiffer tube but it doesn't really conform to all the surfaces. From now on I'm just going to make my own out of the stretchalon so I can get pressure on all the nooks and crannies. At least formthese small parts.

Aquarium pump is working absolutely perfectly but the way. I can't believe it.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2018, 08:00:12 PM »
B-
Glad to hear your system is working. Looking forward to seeing the rest of yours and Opie's pictures.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
It's funny, the wing, with white glass is so boring to photograph lol. The changes are hard to even see.

I should get the back wing cut this week and that with the mast plate will  start to make things look more like a real foil. My goal is to hotcoat the wing this week. Hoping to glass the mast next weekend but that might take a few sessions.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2018, 06:52:42 PM »
Ok, need some advice.

I have some wrinkles in the 4 layers of 4 oz that I bagged on (got to work next time to pull it all tighter before bagging.)

Anyway, when I sand them flat I get small holes where the wrinkles were that sometimes go to the foam. The largest is 1/4" by 1/2". Others are maybe 1/8" wide tops. Rather than sanding further and trying to fill them with glass I'm considering putting resin with chopped fiber in the holes. Note that this thing is rock solid with zero flex after 24 oz of glass so I'm not worried about structural integrity.

Is this ok or do you think I need to try to sand a bigger hole and lay 6 layers of glass in? I think I know my vote. ;)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »
Finally a little progress. Got the wing sanded flat so I can fill it a bit. Pro tip, don't let your glass wrinkle in the bag.

Had to post some of the mess here.

Also got my plate and rear wing cut and shaped. I like it. Next up, glass and mount.

Hell, I might fly this thing next month!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2018, 12:43:41 PM »
Another weekend, another run of resin.

Rear wing and top plate getting a layer of carbon to stiffen things up before really getting serious.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2018, 07:13:43 PM »
And to end the weekend.

Got my holes epoxied. I like hiding a splash of color in places.

That thing is backed with a layer of carbon and I'm stunned at the stiffness.

And I managed to get a pretty good lam on my rear wing. That's 3 x 6 oz glass layer wrapped around and a 6 oz carbon and a 4 oz glass under that on the bottom for extra rigidity. Should be able to just sand and hotcoat this one.

I'm inspired to keep this pace now.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal