Author Topic: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread  (Read 59048 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2017, 08:48:03 AM »
I'm going to glass the fuselage before doing the whole mast so I can check the strength before moving forward. If there's any flex or lack to strength I can knock out another mast in a day or two and go back to my original idea of a bolt underneath wing.

I'm hoping this proves strong enough as it'll make creating new wings much easier. I'll know soon enough.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Cowboy Foil Experiment Thread
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »
Ok got the wing sealed and ready to bag.

Then I turned my attention to the fuselage. The front wing mount section of the fuselage wasn’t round so rather than add a bunch of bog and risk weight and alignment issues, I figured I’d add strips of carbon down the flat sides to make it stronger and round it out. 6 layers from 1/2” down to about 1/4” and it’s almost an inch in diameter and more than strong enough. In fact, I’ll probably cut the back part a bit thinner now too. 1 1/4” will be bulletproof for the back wing support and will look much sleeker.

I’m going to wrap a layer of carbon and glass on it, sand it a bit and then epoxy the paddle handle tube on and fill the gaps with epoxy mixed with chopped fibers.

Then I routed out my board, just did the outline and took it down to 1 3/8” deep and then cut and picked  out the center with a blade and a thousand little cuts. (Is there a great way to route out a giant box like this? Need to start a thread in the shape shack. Then I sanded the bottom flat with some blocks and got the insert very close. I’ll fine tune it one night this week and then maybe glass it in next weekend. This install is sooooo easy. I can’t even imagine doing one without the kit. Do yourself a favor.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:10:08 PM by surfcowboy »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2018, 07:14:04 PM »
I see some light at the end of the tunnel... Looking good!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2018, 07:39:09 PM »
Yeah man, vacation time so I can work in the unheated garage. ;)

That epoxy can stay sticky a loooong time in winter.

I'm guessing another month, which is hilarious. I think in the summer you could do one of these in a couple of weekends once you had the plan together. Like my first board, there's been a lot of standing around staring at the problems. ;)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2018, 04:28:52 AM »
for routing the box there is multiple ways you can do it depending on your tool at hand.  If the board is nice and flat you can just slowly work your way over from one side to the other with a standard router bit but it makes a big mess or you have  a nice long thin router bit set at the correct depth or just higher work well by just doing multiple cuts length or width way's then you can just snap the bits out by hand and adjust the bottom if needs. A multi tool can be used in a similar way with a lot less dust created.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2018, 06:50:44 AM »
Looking great B! Happy for you that you get to mess with all this stuff.

I would have tried to patent some sort of cross-sliding jig using a top-guided bit.

I do not see an issue epoxying foam-to-foam as you have a clean rout, insulation, and regular exotherm in your favor.
If the rout was sloppy I would worry about pooled resin going runaway exotherm and melting foam. All this is based on the epoxy components being stored indoors and the resin side heated to lukewarm before mixing.

Enclosing are some pics of my heat lamp setup for keeping small bits of fiberglass lukewarm until cured. I patched my longboard this last week during the cold spell in the Midwest.

http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2018, 08:10:20 AM »
PS- I would add some foam in the corners rather than try to fill with epoxy for drain/exotherm reasons above
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »
that's for that J, I actually use a setup like that for myself and can make them for others but generally the cost of a jig for doing one or two installs ends up not being justifiable,  how many of the guys on here have purchase a futures or fcs jig, I know it was a good while be fore it I did buy blimey does it make life easy when you do!

I will do some drawing and see if I can make it so it can be relatively for people to diy a jig if they want. 

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »
So I drew this up. I have done two different options for the slider, one for use with a large router and the other for use with a trim router that normally have a smaller base plate, this version would require you to flip the plate over to get the opposite side. If anyone has any suggestions to add to it I will happily try and include it and then publish a pdf that can be printed and cut out for the diy'er.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
Yo, Let's start a home made tools thread.

I did a combo where I chipped out pieces but I think a multi tool would have made quick work of it.

Jrandy, thx for the advice. Yes, I'm going to seal the foam in that bow with a slurry, then I'll be dropping that cassette in with 4oz glass around it overlapping onto the bottom of the board so the resin should stay in. And foam for the corners is already ready to go.

Hadn't thought of a heat lamp, gr at idea, especially with all these small parts getting glassed. Thank you for that.

I need to sand a bevel into the surrounding glass before I drop that thing in and then it'll all get a nice big PonoPatch of 6oz carbon with 6oz glass over that so I can sand it down.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »
Yo, Let's start a home made tools thread.

Hadn't thought of a heat lamp, gr at idea, especially with all these small parts getting glassed. Thank you for that.

I need to sand a bevel into the surrounding glass before I drop that thing in and then it'll all get a nice big PonoPatch of 6oz carbon with 6oz glass over that so I can sand it down.

I use a heat strap, with some layers of aluminum foil to spread the heat, then an old synthetic duvet over top. No matter what you use, check it often. Smoke is a bad sign, but it gets bad before smoke.

How about also tying in that unidirectional carbon with a unidirectional patch with a bit of overlap?

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »
I use a heat strap, with some layers of aluminum foil to spread the heat, then an old synthetic duvet over top. No matter what you use, check it often. Smoke is a bad sign, but it gets bad before smoke.

How about also tying in that unidirectional carbon with a unidirectional patch with a bit of overlap?

Blackeye, yes-letting the smoke out is bad. I am only trying to get initial cure going faster at 80 or 90 degrees F (opposed to my workspace being 65 or 70 F) with the heat lamp.
Around 120-125F the epoxy is at HDT, 135F is post-curing, and above 160F you are damaging any nearby EPS.

I saw that uni strip too...yes, it seems like a good opportunity cosmetically and structurally.

Charlie, nice looking jig. I like the stepped approach. Like you said, it can be hard to justify some tools for some jobs but sometimes a 'nice bit of kit' makes all the difference, prime example is the Futures one-pass setup with a compatible router. I have the kit and I have a homemade one but the homemade is clumsy in comparision.

B-a tool thread would be fun. I am spoiled in that my little CNC is perfect for small wooden projects like router jigs.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:19:23 PM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2018, 10:37:49 PM »
Hey guys, not sure that I'm following. Tying in the uni carbon tape th another piece of the tape? I'm using a big carbon patch just to strengthen it from front to back and side to side. I don't think you'd see the tape against the black patch. Or am I missing something?

Final thing, the back has a pretty serious V so that'll have to get shaped down, blended, and covered. I'm just going to lay the black carbon over it since I won't be able to color match the aged epoxy.

The patches will be diamond shaped so as to not create a stress/break point anywhere.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2018, 03:48:00 AM »
B-I think the idea was that if you were glassing with plain glass cloth, you could add a strip of unidirectional CF and tie the look and a little structure back together. Since you already have a good plan I would proceed with your plan. I am just a latecomer to the thread adding 2 cents of precaution and whatif's without a big picture view.
Be safe, have fun. -J

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »
Blackeye, yes-letting the smoke out is bad. I am only trying to get initial cure going faster at 80 or 90 degrees F (opposed to my workspace being 65 or 70 F) with the heat lamp.
Around 120-125F the epoxy is at HDT, 135F is post-curing, and above 160F you are damaging any nearby EPS.

I should have added that I work in a carport where it's 0C to 7C in winter, up to 15C spring and autumn.

An  incandescent lightbulb with a tent of foil and an insulator over top works too. A cardboard box lined with foil makes a decent low-temp oven.

If the purpose of the longitudinal carbon tape was cosmetic, then never mind. A carbon patch would obscure its replacement. But if it is structural, it should be replaced with the same or higher spec fibre in the same effective orientation. By putting a strip of the same tape overlapping the old tape you would be assured of matching the weight and orientation of the existing fibre.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal