Author Topic: My first time ever surfing the Go Foil Maliko - Video  (Read 6663 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: My first time ever surfing the Go Foil Maliko - Video
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »
Clay, also check out the Blue Planet thread with headmount's comments on the front foot.

Watching your video, you might want to check your front foot. He's saying that that's critical, which I would totally have missed in my "mind surfing."

Sorry to offer "advice" here, not usually my style to do this from my chair when someone's out there doing it in the water, but I thought maybe this would help. Not to derail but since you seem into this sort of stuff I'll give you may favorite saying on the subject. "Unsolicited advice is a form of abuse." Hope this is seen as friendly and not critical. You are killing it and I promise to share my blooper reel when I can. ;)

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »
Clay, Very cool that you documented day one..... everything is a process, and you vids will help ease the path of others!

Keep em' coming.... and watch out for the pointy end.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »
Thanks Clay, nice video, it's harder than it looks!  You did well for your first attempt.  Make sure your feet are right on the center line of the board and your weight needs to be centered right over the front wing before lifting it up, otherwise it's impossible to control it.  The hardest part is not getting it to lift out of the water but to keep it flying level and balanced, so just focus on lifting slowly, gently and controlled.  As soon as the board lifts out of the water you speed up and the foil creates even more lift so you really need to apply front foot pressure to keep it flying level and not shoot up too high and out of control.  Keep trying, you'll get it and as mentioned, got someone to tow you to get the foil-feeling.  Most guys on Maui are using straps and I think a big advantage is that it makes you place your feet in the right positions before flying.  I'm still going strapless but plan to try it with straps soon.
I have not tried it on a downwinder yet but I can imagine its even more difficult than in waves.  Aloha!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:42:34 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »
Yeah, great vid again, Clay.

You have some cojones. I don't think foils are the thing I would choose to pioneer.  It looks too much like trying to ride Messala's chariot without falling on the wheels.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal