Author Topic: Has anyone tried this?  (Read 2735 times)

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Has anyone tried this?
« on: March 15, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »
This looks like a great idea for mounting on an existing SUP. I am considering it for my Naish 9'0 Mana. I would use a large low aspect Kiteboard foil.
I do wonder if the mount might cause delamination.
Any thoughts or comments.

Foilmount.com

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Has anyone tried this?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
Thats looks pretty cool and is so easy .  Not sure how the board would work without the foil ?  It would seem to cause abit of drag ?  Tuttle box might be better to install? 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 10:54:51 AM »
Plenty of surface area for the adhesive...pic below taken from their install instructions.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:04:33 AM »
We've discussed it.

The consensus from before was that on a production sandwich board, you are probably fine. On a custom, I personally think you'd rip the glass right off on a 1x6oz or 2x4oz bottom.

I'm considering building something like this into one of my boards to test with and Pono and I talked on the other thread about a larger aluminum plate to do this.

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »
On a side note. I was listening to a pod cast with Zane Schweitzer and he was talking about a friend of his in Japan that put a kiteboard foil on an sup and it ended very badly. You may have seen the pic of an Asian guy that ended up with his entire face and head split open by it. He adamantly advised against using any foil not made for SUP or surfing. I dont foil so i dont understand it, but just thought i would mention that.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »
Thats looks pretty cool and is so easy .  Not sure how the board would work without the foil ?  It would seem to cause abit of drag ?  Tuttle box might be better to install?

The Tuttle box is tried and true.  And, the plate is not an inexpensive option. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal