Author Topic: Longboard style SUP recommendation  (Read 8343 times)

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Longboard style SUP recommendation
« on: March 03, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
I want to get opinions on other sups that are similar to the riviera nugg.  Not a lot of rocker 32" wide and setup like a longboard.  I mostly ride Florida east coast cocoa beach area and I like that the nugg is relatively short only 9'2" and still has great glide.  Length is important to me since I stay in hotels when I ride and need to get it into an elevator and into tight spaces.  I was considering stepping down to an 8'11" x 32" Exocet fish but I'm worried it's more of a performance oriented board.  I like how I can take the nugg out in 1' mushy surf or 6'+ overhead and still enjoy the day.  I also love how It can handle chop.  I go every day no matter what even if it's blowing 20mph I still paddle.  I hardly ever fall off the nugg.  I tried a Gerry Lopez stun gun 9'2 and it was way to unstable in chop for me.  I like to kind of wait for a wave and not constantly paddle to keep stability.  Riding that was more of a chore and it was considerably harder to catch a wave.  I'm not someone who rips, I like that I can get on a wave walk to the nose and hangout or pump the board and generate speed.  I like that I can have a relaxing ride or try to do some turns instead of constantly having to work for speed.  I'm 185lbs 6'2" in good shape 34 years old and just want something that can handle mushy surf up to head high.  I was thinking a carbon nugg or nugg turbo but I see a lot of other options, nsp has a cocoa matt and sunova has a shroom model that looks nice.  Just wanted input on other fairly short boards that have that same glide and ability to catch small waves.  The other thing I've considered
Is changing my fin setup to increase performance without losing glide.  Single fin or smaller thruster setup.

Here is a video of me on the nugg in cocoa beach on a very small but fun day.
https://youtu.be/kpxWr9YLS-Q

Thanks!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Longboard style SUP recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »
Hey StarbySUPman, have you seen Infinity's new longboard-style board called the New Deal? Sounds like it would fit what you're looking for.

https://www.facebook.com/InfinitySUP/photos/a.304408852921346.85812.301593443202887/1365093416852879/?type=3

Here's a link to their 2017 production catalog which lists the dims for the New Deal:
https://issuu.com/infinitysurf./docs/infinity_sup_catalog2017_full_issuu

9'6x31, 141L. Might be a little too much volume for what you're looking for but don't forget you can always go custom and get the exact dims and volume that you want. I have an 8x28 Infinity that is a few years old but very similar to this new shape and it's a blast in ripples up to whatever I feel like I can handle. Lots of options out there though and sounds like you're doing your research, just wanted to add another to the mix to consider.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
What is it that you want that you aren't getting from the Nugg? If you are worried that the Exocet fish wont work well in the small mush, something like this might be better:

http://blueplanetsurf.com/products/811-x-32-fish-n-chips-2017/

Not going to have the rocker for late drops (nether does the Nugg), but its gonna have much thinner rails which is fun. Plus I bet you find it at least as stable as the Nugg.

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:07:10 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm looking to to drop down in length and stay to a similar volume.  Also looking for more performance without giving up glide and ability to catch and ride mushy waves.  Exiled that 8'11" fish n chips suggestion you gave is exactly what I'm looking for.  Last time I stepped down someone suggested a jimmy lewis stun gun.  It was a chore to paddle and very difficult to catch a wave with.  Appreciate the advice I will be looking into that bird.  Do you know if the 8'11" fish n chips is available for demo in east coast of Florida?

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »
The FishNChips is a new model, I think they only just got it in a couple of weeks ago, so probably no demos yet. Not sure who is stocking them on the East Coast, but I know they have some distribution out there, but maybe not Florida.

Short plus glide plus surfing mush probably means you are looking for a wide tailed board. Larger sized tomo style boards like some of the bigger starboard hypernuts might work for you. For my money, nothing beats a Mini Simmons shape for surfing mush. You can get them custom made at a lot of different places, such as:

http://www.l41surfcraft.com/about-1-1/
https://www.kingspaddlesports.com/products/simmons-kings-custom
http://www.infinitysurf.com/sup/phoenix/

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »
One of the fun (est Noseridding) SUP's I've found is the FANATIC StyleMaster 10Ft X 30 135L Absolutely amazing ridden on the nose or off the tail

Plus there are a few available at a KILLER price since Fanatic is moving warehouses in Florida

Let me knoiw if yiou are interested

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

OilheadCJ_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »
Do you want production or custom?

This focus is nice, also comes in 9'6" and 10'

https://focussup.com/products/9-0-classic/

I have a 9'6" that Kirk from L41 made.  it's 28 wide and 120 liters or so.  I'm 6'2", 165, 47.  i ride it as a single fin and love it.  Fantastic longboard shape that is often my summer board of choice.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 01:37:32 PM »
What a great vid.  I got warm just watching it.  Man... i cant wait to get out of all this rubber up in NJ

As for the board, Although mentioned above- I'd caution against the hypernut.  Unless you get it in huge dims (which defeats the purpose) it doesnt glide....

Since you have the Nugg- I would get something to compliment it.  The simmons suggestions are good ones. Plus you could easily drop a foot in board length, (IE sneak it into hotel rooms as i do with my SUPS when traveling) And still have a glidey early entry machine, that will turn flat when you need it to. Especially it is only mush below head high stuff like your video.

good luck!

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 10:06:56 AM »
Appreciate everyone's suggestions!  After some careful consideration I decided to go with L41 Surfcraft SimSup ST.  I spoke with Kirk and I liked the idea of the wide split tail. 

I went with a 8'4" SimSup ST, 136L.  I'm 185lbs 6'2".  Took a little over 8 weeks to get it.  Here's a quick review, haven't tried it in surf yet just on my lake.

Unboxing.

Board was packed up very nicely plenty of padding and even though there was some box damage none of it made it through to the board.  The first thing I noticed was how light the board was.  5+ pounds lighter than my Riviera Nugg easy.  I need to weigh them both to truly compare.  Much stronger glass job, very solid.  Love the color the fit and finish.  Vent in the handle is slick along with the raised stomp pad.  Couldn't be happier.

Water test.

Initially it felt very tippy but I think that was mostly due to it being so light and the thinned out rails.  My heavier boards (9'2" Riviera Nugg and a 12'6" Compressor) are much slower to react to movement and both have very full rails.  Started on my knees but easily stood up after a few seconds.  I noticed the board felt like it was trying to plane out with me paddling it which was amazing.  I can tell this board is gonna fly!  I could get 6-7 paddles on one side before switching so tracking was good.  Nugg for comparison is 7-8.  Glide was comparable to the Nugg, despite the SimSup pushing water and trying to plane it still had nice glide.  I did notice if you got tired and didn't keep the board level in the water the thin rails would dig in and you would only get 2-3 paddles per side but that is just me learning.  The sweet spot seemed to be with my heels 2" back from the rear of the handle.  2" forward and the nose would pearl, 2" back and the tail would sink.  But once you were setup it was very comfortable.

I paddled it in my lake roughly 4 miles round trip.  Never fell off, very light and I was quick to get used to the lower volume.  This is exactly what I wanted I would be worried if I was falling or unstable in flat water.

Can't wait to try it in a few weeks in the surf!

Few pics of the board and my daughter rocking the surfing stance.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »
After some careful consideration I decided to go with L41 Surfcraft SimSup ST.  I spoke with Kirk and I liked the idea of the wide split tail. 

I went with a 8'4" SimSup ST, 136L.  I'm 185lbs 6'2". ...

The first thing I noticed was how light the board was. ....

Initially it felt very tippy but I think that was mostly due to it being so light and the thinned out rails. ...

Can't wait to try it in a few weeks in the surf!

Giddy up!  You are going to love this board!  This model changed my whole outlook on SUP surfing. It was such a game changer for me. I'm pumped for you.  It's such a fun board.  And once you go light, you'll never go back.

One word of advice... if you feel a bit discouraged out in the surf in your first session or two, don't worry.  You'll be amazed how much you lock into it after a few sessions.  My first two sessions were really challenging, but by the fifth or sixth, I was completely comfortable and I've heard similar stories from others. 

Beautiful board....looking forward to some ride reports.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »
Hi, I recently picked a used st with the same dimensions and volume.  First session I was blown away at how lively it feels, tail doesn't feel wide.  First turn I almost threw my foot off the board, very responsive. 

I dropped down from a 8'8" s3 which is only 5L bigger, so I was shocked at how much better the ST surfs. 

In glass I am very happy, in chop I notice the difference but it's manageable.  It's backwash or rebound off a cliff that I struggle with, getting hit from the side or behind throws me off balance.

Great board I suspect you'll be stoked.  This board has me thinking I can go smaller on my winter board... :)
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 12:13:36 PM »
Congrats on the new board. I've been riding an 8'4" x 31" ST for a couple years now and it's been a great board. It takes a little getting used to catching waves, but once you get it going it is super fast and stays planed up forever. I remember when I first got it it felt really tippy, but now it feels like an aircraft carrier compared to my 29" wide Starboard Pro. It's really good in chop. The only limitation I've found for me is on steep overhead surf it's a little wide (31") for my 170 lbs to lever around.
I got it with the carbon rails and the custom travel bag and it's been a great travel board. Beaten the crap out of it and it's still water tight. Enjoy!
JP

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 09:32:06 AM »
I am so stoked to get it into some waves after reading the replies.  4 more weeks to go!  I weighed it today it came in at 18.5lbs which feels so light compared to my riviera nugg which weighs 24.3lbs.  Can't believe almost 6lbs would make so much difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »
Finally made it to Cocoa Beach, FL.  The L41 SimSup ST Board is amazingly fast.  First few waves I went right off the back, the board just shot out from under me.  Once I conquered that, it was getting used to being able to do a bottom turn.  You really need to get back on the tail of the board as others have said, but actually doing it is another experience entirely.  Once I got it dialed in I started to really rip down the line and make sections I thought impossible on my Nugg.  I'm very happy with the size (8'4" 136L) lots of side chop and backwash and the board is pretty stable despite all that.

Here is a video of the board in action.  The first few waves on Day 1 are a little mushy, Day 2 winds switched to offshore and really cleaned the waves up.
https://youtu.be/z2rfe8zrqQ0

Very impressed lots to learn.  Any suggestions on form or technique would be appreciated!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal