Author Topic: 50 knot+ downwind near Marseille - video  (Read 39304 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 50 knot+ downwind near Marseille - video
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »
PS - just got back in after trying the paddle to waist set-up.  Worked ok but the wrist option worked better for me.  Seems just more free away from my body.  After a while like most things it just becomes normalized anyways.  Kinda feels odd now not having it attached.  Also allows you to just let go of your paddle for lunch or snacks on the water.  Just tie off to your leash.  No worries about it floating away.  Same benefit with camera and vid shots.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »
I made a paddle leash out of a Velcro bodyboard fins leash....and the Aquapac yellow neck string....not used it yet. Attaches to my Camelbak chest clip.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »
For some reason having the paddle attached in front of me just felt constrictive with more potential hazard -> so make sure you are ok with that when you try yours.  Once switched back to my wrist it felt a lot better for me.  My system stays tight to the shaft so it pretty much stays out of the way.  Takes a bit of fiddling at first to get the optimal length - but once set-up like it is now - it works really good.  Super low profile flat cord that is not much noticeable anymore.

Have been using the 23 and the green Race Ultra fin pretty much exclusively all winter.  That OEM fin is a very good compromise for tracking vs the SIC 7.0 and Gladiator Elite.  So far broaching has not been an issue at all.  Really liking the turning vs tracking aspects.  No probs at all today upwind and DW in 10-12 kts.  Was very impressed actually.  The SIC is great for quick turns -> but turns too easy when you want more tracking for distance.  DW that fin did really good on the 23.

In very light winds like that the 23 catches pretty much every wave.  That board just slithers along with such low drag.  No comparison to any other board I have tried.  With the boof I let it pearl an inch or two - and it pops up under complete control angling down and across swells.  Most fun I have ever had in such crappy sloppy cross chop conditions.  That little 23 just powers in that.  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:55:37 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 09:16:15 PM »
got a pic you of your wrist leash? In my mind I am trying to figure out how you can change hands without it getting in the way. What length?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 10:56:49 PM »
Put it around my left wrist and snug up and go.  Can use your thumb to catch any slack as well.  Initially would get in the way a bit. After about 20x out on the water - you stop thinking about it.  Attachment point on the shaft is tight - but can slide a bit to help take out slack when your hand is around the grip.  Works better than my first version with just spectra and knots.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 01:26:41 AM »
Ta Eagle

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 03:01:32 AM »
I wouldn’t wear a paddle leash.

I certainly would never wear a paddle leash without a quickrelease. For several reasons. Wrist velcro quick release cuffs exist or an ankle leash cuff could be adapted.

In solving a problem which doesn’t exist you guys could be creating a very real one.

You have, however, changed my mind to add a piece of safety gear to my pack for cold water downwinds. I will buy and carry some cold water gloves for downwinds when the water is less than 15c/60F. Thanks for that!

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 03:03:39 AM »
Nice to see somebody else DWing with a spare paddle!!

I reckon its Myself and you guys? Everyone else thinks its overkill.

Great Gliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiides btw :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Pretty much the biggest concern this way is cold water and cold air temps -> and having your board float off on you.  Then maybe next losing your paddle.  The risks are somewhat low and we have not had either ever occur.

But first line of defense is a board and paddle leash -> then maybe a backup plan like a spectra leash and spare paddle for long distances or big wind or big seas.

Many have suffered major consequences using no leash or no PFD.  DJ has shown clearly it is possible to survive -> in somewhat warm conditions though.  But in 5C cold water - hmmm?  Maybe not so lucky.  But if one never ventures in cold waters or big wind or crosses longer distances -> then can see not being too concerned.  PS and UKR and others like BdeS and CB - are smart to have backups.  Just like many now use waist leashes and QR.  Always good to know what options are out there.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »
Temps today were 5C.  Was out in Hydrus dry pants and a t-shirt.  Perfect.  Wind was 10 kts in a lotsa slop and cross chop.  Took out the 23 but swapped for the aircraft carrier Dom.  Right choice. 

Land on the left is 2 mi away.  Right is 5 miles.  Buildings in the center 9 miles.  No way could you prone 2 miles to shore.  Your arms and fingers would fall off in 5C water.  Safety first they always say.  Was out 2 mi from land -> like pretty much always.  Board leash and paddle leash are key when having some fun in cold temps.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »
Easy Peasy back up plan if you lose your paddle.  These https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5032-166/Ergo-Flex-Handpaddles
are in my hydration pack.  Couple them with the water temp appropriate neoprene gloves and your set.   
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

PaddleSpot

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • PaddleSpot.net
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 01:26:25 PM »
Another one last week-end   ;D

Olivier Drut
PaddleSpot.net  - Find your next SUP spot

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2019, 01:35:40 PM »
Wow, awesome conditions. Nice work getting shots of the other riders. That's the way to shoot a video.    8)
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »
That was some serious wind. The swell looked like it was lined up pretty good. Fun fun!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »
Another one last week-end   ;D

Ma famille me disait que le Mistral soufflait a 120km/h dans la vallée et 200 km/h au Mont Ventoux. Faut bien s'accrocher a sa planche :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal