Author Topic: Innegra question  (Read 14898 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Innegra question
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2021, 10:04:14 AM »
I've never been able to save many of the hoses, including the spiral. I tried once and wound up with incomplete flow out, which made me nuts. My experience is purely based on projects I did after attending seminars from a supplier, and they don't have much of a reason to teach how to be frugal with the stuff they sell you. I quit playing with the approach rather than try to refine it because ditching 100 bucks of stuff to make a 100 buck part felt a little nuts. I got to watch the fabrication processes at a serious motorsports fab shop. Their model is a bit different to say the least. Their dumpster is probably full of stuff I'd treasure, including offcuts from 500 bucks a yard kevlar honeycomb panel and rejected 3d printed titanium bits. I do really simple shit, and not very well. Like everything else, I'd have to focus my attention over a long time to get good. Not going to happen. I just discovered to my chagrin that apparently I don't know how to TIG weld aluminum anymore. I haven't done it for six months after a year of practice and projects. And now I'm back to the birdshit amateur level.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2021, 10:36:40 AM »
When I built the panels for my hollow SUP I looked into infusion. As PonoBill said it all gets very expensive quickly and a huge amount of waist. If the epoxy goes of too quick you loose the whole project.
 I don't think the small weight saving is worth the huge extra cost. As you said you would have to seal the blank first.
 I have done a few boards with Innegra tape and carbon innegra. As people have said wet out table and poor man's peel ply work great. Innegra wants to float in the epoxy so you need to hold it down.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2021, 09:42:01 PM »
When I built the panels for my hollow SUP I looked into infusion. As PonoBill said it all gets very expensive quickly and a huge amount of waist. If the epoxy goes of too quick you loose the whole project.
 I don't think the small weight saving is worth the huge extra cost. As you said you would have to seal the blank first.
 I have done a few boards with Innegra tape and carbon innegra. As people have said wet out table and poor man's peel ply work great. Innegra wants to float in the epoxy so you need to hold it down.

What is poor mans peal ply?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2021, 12:18:42 AM »
It usually refers to clear tape or plastic wrap used to hold the fabric down instead of a vacuum if I recall correctly.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2021, 12:42:36 AM »
Plastic film to help hold the cloth down. I use vac bag plastic. I know it won't stick. You can use any plastic film. Do a test to make sure it dosnt stick.
 It works well to stop tape ends sticking up.
 Jimmy Lewis does the entire board.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2021, 05:25:00 PM »
I wasn't using innegra, but I was able to use a trash bag full of water as a poor man's vacuum bag - applies pressure and conforms to shape.  It worked great!

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2021, 07:59:21 PM »
It usually refers to clear tape or plastic wrap used to hold the fabric down instead of a vacuum if I recall correctly.

Aha-you mean poor mans.vacuum bagging technique from Jimmy Lewis right? Poor Mans peal ply too I guess but that's not what Jimmy called it, and peal ply is obviously different than plastic

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2021, 09:51:38 PM »
Yes. Sorry about the confusion!

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2021, 04:50:03 AM »
Ill never build another board without Innegra.  For the small amount of extra care, you end up with a board that , barring a small nuclear device, will not need a repair, thus saving you time in the long run.  The biggest problem of getting it to lay down properly can be solved by using a Tackifier.  I use Nu-Tack E an epoxy compatible spray on.  A little expensive but one can will last a long time since so little is needed per board. I routinely lay on my board(top and bottom) with my huge metal harness hooks as well as drop my board repeatedly while negotiating sea weed covered rocks and ledges.  while the stuff may be slightly heavier than pure carbon, its worth it.  I also vacuum bag it which helps keep the weight manageable. Double thickness on the rail laps is recommended since that's where most damage is likely to occur.   I use 4.8 oz carbon/Innegra twill 2x2, with carbon running the length of board and Innegra running transverse.  Extra 4 0z glass under for deck patch and 4 oz over all.  I then just fill the weave with epoxy/microballoons, sand it,  and then  put a very light, rubbed in sealing layer of epoxy. Time to foil!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal