Author Topic: Sunova is looking to make some waves...  (Read 18158 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sunova is looking to make some waves...
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
Just caught that on SupRacer: http://www.supracer.com/sunova-race-team/

Sunova is building a race team and Sneak peeking some nice new ocean boards
to boot.

Any one has more info on the boards?
in progress...

supthecreek

Re: Sunova is looking to make some waves...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
This just in....

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
Seem to be DEEP Ocean boards.  Sunova either bought them or the guy Marcus who posted the video just moved over from DEEP.

BluePlanet interviewed James and Marcus at M2O with a very similar board
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz5p1NzSVBo
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:50:43 AM by digger71 »

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
I know that this is Bert Burger's Sunova Dugout..... and James Casey is at the Sunset Beach Pro as a Sunova Team rider.

To my untrained eyes, the board looked impressive in this video.
He appeared to turn and ride across the waves very well, with hardly moving his feet.
I didn't see the nose push under and seemed to ride bumps forever.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »
Seem to be DEEP Ocean boards.  Sunova either bought them or the guy Marcus who posted the video just moved over from DEEP.

Yes, the supracer article states Marcus signed with Sunova so this is
his new iteration of the "deep" design which is obviously drawing influence
from the SB Ace shape.

The Signature Sunova wood  build definitely makes it stand out. I wonder
what would be the weight of this 14'

I didn't see the nose push under and seemed to ride bumps forever.

It sure does seem like it. Creek, maybe you can get some more specs
on what would seem to be their new offering? I'm sure they are also
planning on introducing an all-water and flat water designs.
in progress...

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
I know that this is Bert Burger's Sunova Dugout..... and James Casey is at the Sunset Beach Pro as a Sunova Team rider.

Yep, not arguing with you Creek - it is a Sunova board...now.  Just saying that Marcus Tardrew is the guy who designs those boards and he used to be with DEEP.  Now he works for Sunova.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 09:36:04 PM »
Those canoes are funny looking. Sit down, you're gonna tump over!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 03:28:42 AM »
Sunova’s new race team with James Casey and Kelly Margetts plus Marcus Tardrew racing and designing should produce some interesting boards.

I’d love to see Casey, Kelly and M Tardrew work with Bert to also come out with a planing hull 14’ downwinder too. Please please please. Bert’s surf expertise and those guys testing it could come up with something really cool.

Not thick and high like Bullet’s but more surfboard style with surfboard rails that give the board a bit of stability by not getting slapped by cross chop. You know, the way he expains how partly buried rails can help with stability. That and something that optimises on a plane and is turny off the back. Make it a board one needs to move around on, lead-foots can buy the canoes. We’ve found long low low-volume pointy pokey noses to work really well. There’s enough other boof noses to be had.

Creeky, Please pass that on when you speak with Sunova.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 04:01:08 AM »
I’d love to see Casey, Kelly and M Tardrew work with Bert to also come out with a planing hull 14’ downwinder too. Please please please. Bert’s surf expertise and those guys testing it could come up with something really cool.

Not thick and high like Bullet’s but more surfboard style with surfboard rails that give the board a bit of stability by not getting slapped by cross chop. You know, the way he expains how partly buried rails can help with stability. That and something that optimises on a plane and is turny off the back. Make it a board one needs to move around on, lead-foots can buy the canoes. We’ve found long low low-volume pointy pokey noses to work really well. There’s enough other boof noses to be had.

Those are precisely the characteristics I want in a downwind board. A shape like that would be awesome in the surf as well. No rudders, boof noses, dugouts or square/pointy tails for me. I'm not not racing. I just want plenty of glide and the ability to turn on the wave.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:08:24 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 04:13:31 AM »
Burchas
I copy/pasted the answer that Marcus gave on Seabreeze

"The dimensions on this one are 18x24.3. It was our first prototype.
They will be available and some shops are starting to order them so they will start popping up.
The standard sizes are 24, 25.5 and 27. All 18 long.
Yes it is foot steering.
No you really don't need to move back on this board as much as other unlimiteds but it's very different to any other unlimited as you can see."

yugi... I'll talk to Tino and see what plans they have for a 14'r

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 04:27:23 AM »
Thanks creek! Would love to hear more about their new offerings as
it becomes available to you.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 08:27:52 AM »
Cool board. The value of deep dugouts is substantial, not just from the standpoint of stability, but also paddling efficiency. We don't have that much power to start with, Throwing some of it away on a vector that also pushes the nose up and the tail down is pretty wasteful. You can see the improved paddling vector in the video. Of course, the drain system has to be efficient and effective. A pint is a pound.

Add a FAST style steering system and they'll have something. There's not much room in that skin for buried control rods, but a rear spring and flush deck steering arm would be a big improvement in control. I think the rudder shape might be a little off too. You can see in the video that the board responds a little slowly to steering input and banks in response to steering. Might be a function of the rudder design. I've seen a similar effect in "weedless" rudders with some rake. Spitfire style fins are terrible weed harvesters, but they don't bank.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:30:29 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:34:52 AM »

Those are precisely the characteristics I want in a downwind board. A shape like that would be awesome in the surf as well. No rudders, boof noses, dugouts or square/pointy tails for me. I'm not not racing. I just want plenty of glide and the ability to turn on the wave.

You're describing my Vec...which is based on the Foote Maliko....about as far from a dugout as you can get.....:). I love it for its simplicity and how well it surfs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:55:37 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
That description also fits the JL M-14 and JL Rail.

Here is my M-14 before I sold it. It surfed great but I must say the M-12'6 is better for surfing. I'd like to see Sunova make a board similar to this only with less volume/less thickness.
I weigh 170 lbs. I don't need 290 liters to get the board to plane.

The Vec looks cool. I'd love to try it.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:55:06 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »
The lines on the Foote (Vec) and JL boards are classic.  For some reason they just look right; like a big wave gun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal