Author Topic: Max Heart Rate and Age - (Or how to give half the Zone a heart attack)  (Read 8377 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I'd like to hear from anyone who has EVER taken a stress test (in a controlled environment or at self administered at home). Not looking to revisit the formula approaches (ie.220 minus your age), just actual results please.

Tell us what kind of test you used and the results (year of the test, max heart rate, age at time of test and gender), and whether you agree with the findings.  If you have a friend or family member that has recently taken a stress test and you can share the data that could be interesting too.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Max Heart Rate and Age - (Or how to give half the Zone a heart attack)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »
I just took one the other day.  Did not hear results back yet.  I have a right branch bundle block apparently.

The test was easy except they shaved my chest and it is wicked itchy.  Only took me to 140 BPM, way lower than the 160+ i do for an hour paddling.  They measured my blood pressure on the way up and down.  Mine recovered nicely.

Age 58. 

ed. 

The cardiologist said I can keep paddling hard but may someday need a pacemaker.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:42:16 PM »
No test but I have monitored my heart rate with a polar H7 chest sensor and a polar v800 during training and races. The highest average was 180 and max was 194. Age at this time 51.
Training or race takes 1 hour up to 2.5 hours.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
Ran up steep hills max speed to near collapse to measure max HR with a HRM strap recording 186 - 194 peak a few times.  But since this did not jive with the 220 age formula - said forget that bs.  Some say a highly stressed heart can create micro tears etc - so no more pushing limits for me.  Now once I hit 170 -> I throttle back major and limit time.  Have my watch set to start beeping.  Even so - my endurance has increased hugely.  And probs lost about 25 lbs of fat - and added about 10 lbs of muscle.  What about you - why the interest in stress testing? 

https://youtu.be/Y6U728AZnV0
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »

I had one about 15 years ago as part of an echocardiogram after a substitute doctor was convinced I was going to die from heart problems.  I was in pretty good shape then, and they never got me close to max. heart rate, so the max. was irrelevant.  All I really got out of it was screwed-up achilles tendons for a couple weeks, because they kept angling the treadmill up steeper.

A couple years later, I had a masters swimming coach who would periodically get us at least very close to max, then have us instantly take our pulse for 5 or 10 seconds (idea being taking it for longer than that, it's already slowing way down).  I'd get 180-186 consistently.  It was swimming, which tends not to allow you to reach max as easily as other things, since you're floating, and we also weren't necessarily at absolute max effort (although any non-fit person would feel that they were).

About the same time, I got a heartrate monitor and tried running hard up a steep 1/2 mile hill, then sprinting the last part until I hit my max.  I did it a few times (not on same day).  I think I got 196 as the highest, and close to that other times, so it seemed accurate.  I would have been about 46 or so. 

The 220 minus age formula underestimates for most people who are in shape, especially older ones.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »

What about you - why the interest in stress testing? 

Eagle, PDX hit on it, the "rules of thumb" approach seem to not only underestimate the MHR but apparently the results are all over the place.  Nothing new there, but just wondering how Zoners would fit into the mix.  I'm finding my MHR to be at least 10 beats higher than my "predicted" MHR per the rules of thumb. 

Not an issue for me now, but a medical concern we should all be aware of as we age would be the possible misapplication of a target, max heart rate, that is preliminarily set too low in a formal stress test to effectively diagnose underlying heart issues.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »

https://youtu.be/Y6U728AZnV0

This!  Covesurfer and I used to be pretty hardcore masters bike racers. We both had raced on and off since college but really got into it again about seven years ago. We got pretty good and really competitive. And really obsessed. It only took about two years of hard training and racing for me to start developing Afib issues, and as it turned out, so did several other members of my masters bike team. Some had ablation surgery to try to correct it and some had the surgery several times before they could fix it. All so they could go back to bike racing and tearing the shit out of their hearts! I had all the tests done and and my cardiologist told me bluntly that I would eventually damage my heart permanently, if I hadn't already done that and I could even kill myself doing it in excess. Despite super low heart rate, blood pressure and cholesterol, my heart muscle was enlarging and becoming scarred.
Fortunately I had a horrible bike crash that snapped my leg in several places and that took me out of the viscous cycle of racing and training. It was during my recovery that Cove introduced me to SUP, and that has become a great form of exercise and a diversion from excessive bike riding. Yes, you can sustain some elevated heart rates while paddling, but it isn't anywhere near what is required for cycling or running. Thankfully I've yet to have any Afib issues SUP'ing, but it is one of the reasons I wear an inflatable pfd downwinding.
JP

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »
Highest HR I have recorded while standup paddling was the first time I did a real downwinder in Hood River. My max HR was 175 and average was around 158. I'm 65, 158 lbs 5ft. 8.5".  I can sustain 150 plus for maybe an hour and half,  but I'm pretty bushed at the end. I normally try to aim for 135-145 and usually go 6 miles. It's a good workout for me,  but probably not nearly enough for some of you serious competitors!
(ps...I use the Garmin soft strap along with my Garmin gps/map 78sc and also record my sessions on my Smartphone using Endomondo)
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »
Outlier. An "almost death" sudden cardiac arrest 1.5 years ago. An internal cardiac defibrillator was installed while I was in intensive care.

The initial threshold for a shock was 180 bpm. Got zapped in the Providence Paddle Race.

After long discussions with my cardiologist, and her physicians' assistant who has worked with several 5K athletes the threshold was set to 214.

The years of anaerobic hockey training led to this decision. I also referred them to a study of professional big wave surfers who average 180 for a couple of hours and max at 210.

Have had an echo stress test, and the radio active perfusian. On a treadmill get up to 150 or so.

However, in big winter COLD waves the remote download feature of my ICD has elicited a phone call or two.

At this point I have purchased a Garmin Vivioactive HR with a strap and wear it every surf session, and every paddle session.

My heart waveforms are completely normal; was given a clean bill of health; am no longer a stent candidate.

My personal setting on my HR monitor is 185. Beep- beep and I am on the beach!

I am 69 and grateful that I can still sup surf, and paddle at all! Average paddling in a race is now 170 and max is 180. Surfing is 160 to 185 (ha)!

Paddle on boys!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:15:57 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »
Total outlier. I have to nearly explode to get much above 140. I have a cardiac stress test every other year and I've had the version with dye and a cat scan twice. If you race cars you can't have heart attacks.

Whenever I go for my test an audience gathers because they have seen the copious notes in my records. Usually thee techs,  a few nurses, and at least two doctors the record was five.

Yeah.weird.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 05:52:11 PM »
Bigs and Bean - this is something you may have already been tested for - or might want to have yourself tested for - if that might be a concern for you.  Only takes a few minutes.  CT Coronary Calcium Score.  Shows your actual artery plaque blockage and is more accurate than a stress test etc.

https://youtu.be/4gHK3XhTIlM
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:42 PM »
Eagle,
Mahalos. When the ICD was installed they sniffed around. My LAD is highly blocked. But alternative pathways have been created, otherwise I would have left a long time ago.

We had agreed that I would wait for dissolvable stents to pass clinical trials and have one installed.

No longer a candidate per our last meeting. Homeopathy, gemmotherapy, indigenous shamanic healing, has boggled The Cardiovascular Institute's collective mind.

No allopathic crap! Will refrain from my Bad Pharma rant. But, my next visit is in nine months. Just keep doing whatever you are doing is a quote from a very skilled cardiologist..
 ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:14:49 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
I didn't realize surfing elevated the heart rate that much.  I do feel the ticker going out there, but I never thought to measure it.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 07:54:34 PM »
54 and can still ride in the 170's for an extended time, 180's not so much and saw mine hit 204 5-10 years ago. Have read the current thinking and rarely go that hard anymore.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 10:26:17 PM »
54 too, and just had an annual ECG and stress test last week with the inclined running machine hooked up to EKG machine monitoring my heart and blood pressure. They stopped the test when I was at around 165bpm. My max nowadays when downwinding is around 175, and I often average in the 160 - 165 range.

Some general info on the ECG Stress test here..

http://feghalicardiology.com/ecg-and-stress-test-2/
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal