Author Topic: Fight for your rights [net neutrality]  (Read 1892 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Fight for your rights [net neutrality]
« on: January 25, 2017, 03:49:14 AM »

Looks like Trump and Ajit Pai will do away with Net Neutrality. Obviously there is big money to be made as sites will need to pay to have quality of service guaranteed. The corporations will take over. Also, I suspect, Trump will use this to shut down independent news and opinion outlets. He clearly has a deep need to control news about him. Scary stuff.

I presume this also affects internet users sitting outside the US but  accessing a US based site. Like this site. Right? The bandwidth at the source will become less available [for those who didn’t pay].

What an easy way to control what information people can receive, while still pretending it is available. This can't be healthy.

If it happens, what's next? A massive move of site hosting to outside the US?

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fight for your rights [net neutrality]
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »

I support this 100%

Removing net neutrality is shifting the competitive landscape from end users, innovation, and small companies (read this as tech startups). We'll see a lot more innovation at building anti-competitive measures and added value service offered by the telco's themselves.

I think it will negatively impact the 5G development and slow down innovation. 5G should be slated to be the biggest innovation in networking since the Internet first was conceived. The opportunities in 5G is astounding....but this development will now impact my forecast.

I do not think it will immediately ruin the Internet, but it will impact small companies strapped for resources.
What annoys me beyond compare is that we have already tried the approach the Trump administration is bidding on...and it did not work. What did work was when we decided electricity was a utility...just like data (de facto) is.

It annoys me that providers will now be able to charge at both ends. They are to some extent already doing this, but it will get worse and much much more blatant. The arguments for removing net neutrality is that more competition will come in, but that is a ludicrous sentiment as the barriers to entry into this market is enormous.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »
Dipshit regulation creates competition unless it explicitly prohibits it. The barriers to entry are currently great because the telcos and cable haven't screwed up the web totally yet. But they will. There are lots of ways to circumvent the existing infrastructure.

This is another dipshit notion like regulating DAT tape. They'll be ten steps behind the technology, because that's what government colluding with big biz does. Too slow, too stupid.

Watch what happens to utilities as smartgrids start deploying. The unstable grid argument goes away. Grids turn to 24/7 utilization instead of  10/5. Renewably generated power doubles in value.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
Anonymous will go ape shit if this administration tries to wipe out net neutrality.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 12:06:11 AM »
Dipshit regulation creates competition unless it explicitly prohibits it. The barriers to entry are currently great because the telcos and cable haven't screwed up the web totally yet. But they will. There are lots of ways to circumvent the existing infrastructure.

...but what you end up with then, I think, is multiple Internets. I do not think it is ideal since it just makes things more complex. 

I agree that most acts are way outdated by the time governments gets their shit together and write it out...this is why an enabled FCC could play a role. In my opinion having net neutrality is enabling competition by keeping markets open. It is kind like making sure companies are not abusing market power when they get a large market share.

I would agree that governments have more or less just been a nuisance (and not effective in regulating), but that is not a reason to give up trying to regulate something that is critical to our survival (it will be).

For instance, in other countries you have agencies that are created to protect citizens data. It is a freestanding, government funded, office that makes sure that government and corporations are not abusing personal data. US has a way to go before trusting an office like that, but with a lot of transparency I think it could work since they have one purpose, to make sure privacy rules are not abused. Make FCC be that...give it teeth and purpose that doesn't change everytime a new president comes in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal