Author Topic: Locking Tie Downs  (Read 10209 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Locking Tie Downs
« on: January 14, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
I'm getting a pair for some piece of mind on surf trips. The Kanulocks look nice. So do the Thules. What's the voice of experience say, Zoners?
LOL...the Kanulock website needs to be updated w/a picture of a PROPER racking job! Me and Tom racked up the Sunova Style TIGHT in his driveway!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:56:55 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Locking Tie Downs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
I'm considering the same thing, don't have an answer for you, but here is another set I'm looking at:
http://steelcore.com/collections/surf-and-paddle
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:23:57 PM »
I have personally been using kanulocks for the past year and love them. I used thule sup taxi before.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
I also use Kanulocks. They'll stop an opportunistic thief who basically uses a knife or a bolt cutter for a quick steal.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:25:17 PM »
I have used Kanulocks for several years.  They work fine.  I saw the Steelcore after I bought the Kanulocks.  Steelcore is better as it is harder for someone to use bolt cutters or smaller snips, which would work on the Kanulocks.  Any locking strap is really meant just to deter an opportunity.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 02:39:14 AM »
I have both the Kanulocks and the Thule locking straps. The Thule are overpriced rubbish in comparison.

The Kanulocks aren't very durable though. If you tie off the ends the metal cable can wear through the ends. And the locks can seize if you don't look after them and if they are stored wet. So in general they are better used as an occasional thing rather than an everyday solution.

I like the lockjaw surfboard locks that fit into your finbox because you can use a very heavy chain with it that couldn't be cut by small bolt cutters. Also if you have a board with a SIC or Blue Planet handle you can use a chain through that as well. Some of the Surftech had a security handle too.

But a determined and well-equipped thief will get anything, even if they have to cut your roof racks to get it. I'm surprised that more people don't emblazon their boards with their names and addresses. It might cost a bit to have it done - and then removed before sale, but it would be a good deterrent for a thief.

Fortunately I live in an area with virtually zero crime.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:29:46 AM by Area 10 »

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 02:58:36 AM »
I have Kanulocks....I find I can't tighten them up as good as normal roof straps for driving about. I tend to use bog standard Thule straps and if I ever have to leave the board unattended for a short while I bung on the Kanulocks too.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 06:11:56 AM »
I've been using the same pair of Yakima RipCords for the past 6 years, and they work very well. Haven't tried anything else, so I can't say how they compare to other products. They're long enough to fit over 2 stacked boards, and flexible enough that I can tie the excess length off in an ugly square knot when I'm only securing one board.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »
I appreciate all the input on this topic and thank everyone for commenting. I was nurturing "Inner Impulse Buyer Dude" yesterday and added the 13' Kanus to cart. They will be here well before my late January departure for Costa Rica. What made IIBD buy them was the fact that he's hauling a $1,300 sup to Costa and it's definitely gonna be on the thieves short list. I will also bring my regular 15' DaKine tie downs for the non-locking sessions.
Keep those boards secure, Zoners!  8)
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »
I've been using the same set of 13 foot Kanulocks straps going on 7 years and these are my everyday straps. Going to get another set soon. Outstanding piece of kit. It's true that the cables can wear through the end of the strap over time, but there are some quick fixes for that if it does happen. Once the straps break in a bit, it was easy to use them all the time, and one of the reasons I like them so much is the extra heft of the straps makes it much easier to throw the straps over your boards when it's breezy out. The straps are overbuilt and made to last.

When I get another set, I will still be using the existing straps as well because they are still in good condition after all this time.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
I   use  regular  straps  to  secure  the  board  and  add  the  locking  strap  for  theft  prevention . I've  been  happy  with  my  stealcore.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »
I like everything about the Kanulocks except for the locks. They appear to be very fragile and don't lock or unlock very well. I no longer use them because I am afraid that they might not un-lock one of these days. I tried keeping them well lubricated,  but frankly that didn't make much difference. The straps themselves are nice,  just wish they would have used some other type of locking mechanism.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »
I like everything about the Kanulocks except for the locks. They appear to be very fragile and don't lock or unlock very well. I no longer use them because I am afraid that they might not un-lock one of these days. I tried keeping them well lubricated,  but frankly that didn't make much difference. The straps themselves are nice,  just wish they would have used some other type of locking mechanism.
Mine didn't seem fragile but damn if the cam would go all the way back to where I could pull the key out making it pretty much broken. No problem with the strap not in the cam but just a mm or so shy of it closing properly with the strap in. Not sure how that happened. Not sure what would make what swell. Doesn't matter where on the cable/strap I put it. Fiddled with at for an hour or so when it first happened after having it for a year or two. Fiddle with it every season since with no luck. Ended up getting the Thule one with a different mechanism to lock it. Not as sturdy as the Kanulocks, either strap or mechanism but that little issue won't happen with the Thule. I also am of a mind that if I feel I got to lock it, either one is going to do what it is intended and it wouldn't matter which one was on if the board going to disappear.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »
I've been using the same set of 13 foot Kanulocks straps going on 7 years and these are my everyday straps.
Well that is good news! Your user name here would suggest that a thief would not be able to "Rob on"!  :P

I use  regular  straps  to  secure  the  board  and  add  the  locking  strap  for  theft  prevention . I've  been  happy  with  my  stealcore.
That is pretty much what I had planned on doing. Hopefully I will be pleased w/the 13' Kanus. The price was right.

I like everything about the Kanulocks except for the locks.
lol..They are "Kan not locks"! I hope mine perform better. I guess if they get stuck in the locked position I will see just exactly how long it takes to hack saw through them.

the cam would go all the way back to where I could pull the key out making it pretty much broken. just a mm or so shy of it closing properly with the strap in. Ended up getting the Thule one with a different mechanism to lock it.
Did you contact Kanu? I woulda been on the wire immediately.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:28:02 PM by surfercook »

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »
I'm considering the same thing, don't have an answer for you, but here is another set I'm looking at:
http://steelcore.com/collections/surf-and-paddle
Save your money if you're considering Steelcore's 9ft straps. Home Depot sells the same strap for $30.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-9-ft-Locking-Cam-Buckle-2-Pack-07909/204062706

+1 on the Kanulocks. I've been using them for over two seasons. Best locking strap available imo. What's nice about the Kanulocks is they have two cables in them which takes longer to cut. I figure that may cause a thief to give up if it takes them longer than 30 seconds to cut them. Statistically (according to US law enforcement) if it takes more than 30 seconds to remove a deterrent, most thieves will abort their attempt. Note that this is based on crimes of opportunity vs. planned.

In the future I hope to see security tie-down straps that are similar to the Litelok bike locks.
http://www.litelok.com
Make sure to watch the "testing" video!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:44:07 PM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard