Author Topic: 10'0 Laird SUP Exotic Wood Shaped by Ron House  (Read 8833 times)

[MB] SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
10'0 Laird SUP Exotic Wood Shaped by Ron House
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »
Just curious to see if anyone has any more info on this SUP. The DIMS are below, has anyone rode it and if so any feedback would be appreciated.

$1,199.00

LENGTH: 10'0"
NOSE:20 1/2"
MID: 27"
TAIL:16 1/8"
THICK:4 3/8"

Thanks ~ Todd
8'5 Hokua
9'1 PSH hull ripper pro
9'6 X 2 Nalu
10'6 Isle

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: 10'0 Laird SUP Exotic Wood Shaped by Ron House
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:15:59 AM »
is this the Surftech wood veneer board?  I tried a Laird but it didn't suit me well.  It was a little tough to surf since I'm a lighter guy (165lbs) and probably don't have the weight to push that board into turns.

a little off topic, but as far as Surftech's, I've also tried the 10'3" Takayama Ali'i... easier to surf, noserides great, but stability is not that great.

[MB] SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
Yup that's the one, Surftech. My weight's the same is yours so I might have the same trouble.

Anyone else?

Thanks ~ Todd
8'5 Hokua
9'1 PSH hull ripper pro
9'6 X 2 Nalu
10'6 Isle

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:09 PM »
oops, forgot to mention that the size of the Laird I tried, 11'.  and I tried it when I first started stand up while I was learning how to properly use a paddle while surfing.

stevenson91@cox.net

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »
H.S. was that 11' laird a little unstable for an 11' board? I thought so. In glassy conditions it was fine but a little wind, a little chop, and the board seemed very unstable to me. Surfed OK though, but the tippiness was a bad trade off. I've used much shorter boards that weren't nearly as wobbly.

Glenn

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:21:20 PM »
no, the 11' Laird was fine, the 10'3" Takayama Ali'i was a little tippy, for a 10'3" that is.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:58:29 AM »
I tried an 11'0" Laird in Kauai last year.  It did seem a little tippy - (I think it was 27 or 28 wide).
I am a bigger guy - 200 lbs. - and the Starboards and Naish's that I have tried in that size range seem better - they are 30'ish wide.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

[MB] SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 04:36:32 AM »
Funny how an inch in width can make a difference in balance, this makes me lean towards the PSH 10'0 / 10'3.

Thanks all for the input but just one last question and it's about construction. Is this type of SUP prone to pressure dents?

Thanks again for the input.
8'5 Hokua
9'1 PSH hull ripper pro
9'6 X 2 Nalu
10'6 Isle

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 05:25:21 AM »
I can't speak for the stand up boards, but I've owned Surftech Tuflite surfboards (high performance longboards) for a few years now and they withstand a lot of beatings without showing any damage.  The only pressure dent I managed to put on any of my Tuflite boards was air dropping into a big closeout and landing all my weight on my back heel only to get worked... heel was bruised for a few days, but the board only had a slight pressure dent near the tail.  durability and "stiffness" is what you'd be getting with a Tuflite.

riverrat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 07:08:19 AM »
I have the Softop version of this board and like it.  I have found a large single flex fin works best for my style of surfing.

Rogue Wave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Jimmy Lewis Canada
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:40:55 AM »
Thanks all for the input but just one last question and it's about construction.

Make sure there is glass over the wood. I'm not familiar with that particular board, but some of those boards have NOTHING but resin to hold the wood together -- beautiful to look at, but they belong on a wall.
Jimmy Lewis Canada

riverrat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 05:24:26 PM »
I concur that you should approach the wood veneer boards with caution.  I made a late drop on a Surftech woodie (beautiful Haut shape) and momentarily grabbed the rail with one hand.  After kicking out, I discovered that I had put my fingers through the epoxy coating along the rail.  During my next session, I had large circular shatter under the area of my rear heel (I weigh 165 lbs) for no apparent reason.  I then exchanged the board for a Tuflite version.  This was a few years ago, and Surftech may have adjusted their manufacturing techniques since then. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal