Author Topic: "The One" Review.... the Sunova for everybody  (Read 11592 times)

supthecreek

"The One" Review.... the Sunova for everybody
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:11:02 PM »
"The One"
This board is a gift!

It does so much, so well... and, it is affordable, durable and beautiful. This is a no brainer for the whole family.

I surf it a lot in the winter. At my current porkiness of 235 lbs (104 kg) I like to relax occasionally, so I take the One 9'5 out.
It is super stable at 32" wide and 160 liters... yet it rips in most conditions. It carves in overhead surf, or makes small mush fun. There is plenty of surf footage salted around in this video.

The One is the board that I have talked about for years..... I have met LOTs of women that asked me about a light and manageable board to paddle flat-water. They just wanted something easy to throw on or IN their car.... go for a casual paddle, without dealing with the bulk of a 12 footer.  Now, when I show them "the One" they are thrilled. It is light and easy to load on or off their car. It is stable for a beginner, and paddles really nicely for casual daily paddles.

Dad, Mom and the kids can all use this board... in surf or flat-water. What's not to love?

This review is a bit different.
I decided to review it while paddling a 3.5 mile flat-water trip, so you could see it in a lot of different lights, with a big man on it. As I talk about the board, I have inserted videos and pictures to make the point discussed.

It is longer than most reviews... but I wanted to show it off it's versatility... and how well it does them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n39Hh2_64o

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: "The One" Review.... the Sunova for everybody
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:33:35 PM »
Nice review and a very good video. I saw this same review over on the Seabreeze site, but I'm not a registered member over there so I could not leave any comment there. I'm glad you decided to share this review over here on the Zoner site.

I like the way you paddle a 9'5"x 32" board. Very nice straight line tracking. I also paid close attention to the spacing of your feet with your left foot forward and your right foot behind your left about a foot in distance to the right of your left foot. I'm going to try this spacing on my 8'11"x31" Hammer.

Nice that you chose a coiled leash too. I will probably get me a short coiled leash for freshwater lakes since there is a lot of algae which accumulates into floating clumps when the weather starts getting warm in March where I live.

Also, I enjoyed seeing the photos at water level of the Sunova showing the rocker of the board. Thanks for sharing this video and also your tips comment wise.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 06:12:04 AM »
That's the kind of easy, surfable, cruiser that I have been looking for.  If I wasn't broke from Christmas, I would order it now.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »
I love the wood!  It is a little heavier than the Balsa wood of the XXX construction but it looks great.  I have the 10.2 of the ONE and i agree with CREEK on the Fun for the whole family board.  It paddles well and fun in the surf.  I can surf it and have fun as well as help new comers learn to stand and paddle easily.  It is a fun ONE.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »
Since I sold my Hobie yesterday, I've now got the space for another sup. Since my Hammer is designed for sup surfing, if I get another sup (and I've got the itch for one), I'm thinking of a longer sup. I've been looking at different lengths ranging from 9'5", 9'6", 10', 10'3" and 10'5". Widths from 31" and 30". Since I'm at 150 pounds right now from all the eating from social gatherings my wife wanted me to go to with her since Halloween, it is the liters of volume which concerns me since I don't like high volume boards but when boards go up in length, so do the volume of liters. Once the hot Texas weather arrives starting around the middle of March, I should be going back down to 145 pounds.

Watching STC's video (and other videos on this site) always give me new perspectives on different makes and models of sups depending on what that board will be primarily used for if it can do both flat water leisurely paddling and sup surfing.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »
I like the video review format, Creek! Nice looking board too.

From the short and wide dimensions, though, it looks much more surf oriented than all-around. I guess if I wanted a board primarily to surf, but which my much smaller wife or kid could easily flatwater tour on and lift themselves, this might be the perfect design. If I were looking for an all-around board for myself, though, the Kruze's longer and narrower dimensions look like they'd be a lot more conducive to flat water paddling, with more glide and less lean required to get the paddle vertical.

One of the nice things about Sunova's lineup is they have so many different models that you can find a board that suits your particular needs.  :)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:52:11 PM »
Creek, you make every board you ride look good 8) Sent it to a friend.
This thorough review will surly help.
in progress...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 01:29:38 PM »
It looks like Bert hit a long ball right down the middle -not racer enough for some/not surfer enough for others- yet likely satisfies 95% of what both think they need.  I'm vulnerabnle to false thinking: 'the board will improve my skills'; it seems this would be a great board to gain skills, then look for some magic shape to buy.

I like my balsa planks on the XXX series but this minimalism is still classy-woody with silver rails. It does not look down market vs. those plaster coated, decal boards that pass for all-arounders.  The numbers remind me of a Fanatic Allwave without pontoon rails and over reliance on graphics.

Ricky makes us want another One!   

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 02:50:09 PM »
Creek:  I REALLY enjoyed this "One"  ;D 

Can't wait to compare it to the Skate and the Speeed (the latter the only one I've tried in the 9'2" size, which was awesome!).

Come on March!!!!  (permanent relocate to Lil Rhody.)

8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »
Good idea Night Wing... I used to use surf leashes on flat-water, but they drag too much stuff along.
I like full coil... I don't want any of the leash in the water when paddling.

Yeah Zoo... it is super easy... and pretty damn good as well. I have surfed it quite a bit and always am really happy how easy it lays down a turn for such a forgiving board.

Board Stiff....
I used the Kruze a few times, it is a nice paddling board and reasonably fast for an Allrounder because the rocker is flatter.
And strangely enough, I really had fun surfing it! The Kruze really forced me to slow down and get smooth, which helps me surf a smoother, classic longboard style.

Thanks burchas!

Wettie... you would like this board. I'll bring it down next spring!

Whatz^ - see you in March. I'll bring em' all. Maybe it will warm up by then. Today was single digits, even on Cape Cod  :)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »
Another meditative video by supthecreek.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 07:10:09 AM »
Great review on a beautiful board. 

(p.s. don't fall in!)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »
Creek, do you know  what  the   9 5 weights ?

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »
Busted! You fell asleep during the video  :)  ;D
21.8 lbs (9.9 kg)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »

Great review Creek! 

Especially like that last wave you caught. 

That type of board seems like it would work in all kinds of surf?
Now I want one. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal