Author Topic: 9'2 Skate and "the One" 9'5 video  (Read 3895 times)

supthecreek

9'2 Skate and "the One" 9'5 video
« on: November 11, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »
On Election Day, I had a blast on both these boards.

One video... two boards, because it was a great chance to compare to 2 "stability" boards head to head

I surfed the Skate 1st in pure glass, using the "headband" mount.

For the vid, I put "the One" 9'5 first, because it more accurately shows the wave size..... the Skate waves were at least the same, if not bigger, but the GoPro makes them look tiny.

Anyway, they both exceeded my expectations in these down the line walls.... soooo much fun.
I was beat after 3 hours  :)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: 9'2 Skate and "the One" 9'5 video
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:53 PM »
Excellent video. I enjoyed seeing going from left to right on that one wave at the 49 second mark of the video. Beautiful waves and to think you got to enjoy surfing them for 3 hours. What a rush.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 05:44:29 AM »
Great Vid Creek!!!!

Although the comparison is Skate vs The One....I'm wondering what are your thoughts as to how the 9'2"x32"Skate (148L) compares to the 9'2"x30.75" (148L) Speeed? 

(Length and volumes are the same while the Speeed of the same length is a full 1.5" narrower.  I see the noses are obviously very different on these two boards - personally, I like the nose looks on the Speeed a bit more than the pointy-er Skate).

REALLY curious as to your thoughts on how the Skate and Speeed would match up on some average knee to waist size waves.  And if you're inclined to lump in the higher volume "The One", please feel free! 

Thanks!!!!!   8) 8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 08:41:28 AM »
Thanks Night Wing!

Whatz^
Excellent question... it give me an opportunity to focus on this a bit.

Speeed  9'2 x 30.25"   148 liters
vs
Skate    9'2 x 32          148 liters (1.75" wider)

The Skate:
wider overall
flatter deck
wider tail
flatter rocker with
harder bottom edge for release.... keeps it above the water, skating instead of carving.

this means:
More stable, greatest glide in soft waves, a good time board for average to poor conditions
NOTE:
I particularly appreciate the wide tail when standing around.... it is usually the backwash or chop from behind, that knocks me over... the Skate solves that.
A completely awesome and comfortable board in softer conditions.
Intermediate or skilled, the Skate fills a very valid spot in the quiver.... I got it, because it is just plain easy fun.

The Speeed:
Narrower overall
domed deck
"bump down" rail, to narrow diamond tail with channels full of "special sauce"
high performance rocker
softer rails that cling to a steep wall and hold in a power turn

This means:
Less stable than the Skate, but the wide nose helps offset the narrow width.
Much higher performance in a full range of conditions and size.
The Speeed is an amazing board, that will handle anything.
NOTE:
the wide, kicked nose is failsafe on late take-offs
The Speeed tail has the sweetest, tight carve of any board I have ever surfed
The Speeed is always my "go-to" board when I need reliable performance in challenging conditions.

Both board paddle exceptionally well, with the edge to the Speeed, because the "kick" handles chop better.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"the ONE" 9'5 is a great choice for beginner or intermediate.... OR BIG SUPster looking for some performance.

With 160 liters of float and thicker rails than most Sunova's, it is very stable... and yet surfs easily and well... in a wider range of conditions than the Skate.

It is a more traditional shape, with a good surf rocker, that still paddles well in flat-water.
It is an excellent choice for many, many SUPsters.
It will handle small, weak waves and bigger, more serious stuff.... it was extremely at home in the waves on the video.... and you can see that the speed and surfability is impressive.

"the ONE" is the board that I most recommend to women who want a manageable flat-water board, for casual use.
Very compact, light.... easy to carry and load.... enough float to bring the dog or small child..... and fits inside the average SUV.

I have seen too many casual paddlers lose interest, because they simply don't want to deal with handling a long, heavy board every outing. So they quit.
"The One" 9'5 puts a BIG smile on their face, when I hand it to them!

"the ONE" is EXTREMELY affordable in the awesome new ECO-TEC build (the one in the video)

If you are a newbie or a BIGBOY..... "the One" is the Sunova built for you! (and they come in BIGger sizes as well)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »
Awesome read Creek.....Thank you!

Boy o' boy am I left scratching my head....each of these boards fills a niche.  You know I thought your 9'2" Speeed was awesome the day we were out in rather sloppy conditions a month or so back.  Since then I've acquired a B&B that I love and it will continue to be my board of choice on each and every outing that conditions allow given my nose riding quest.  However, there will be plenty of choppier, sloppier, bigger (for me chest to head high) that will call for a different ride.  And that's where I see either the Skate or a Speeed.  Only one thing to do.....gotta try em both together, so I'll put that high on my list - although not likely until late winter/early spring as I've got to try and avoid the overwhelming urge to pull the trigger on another new board anytime soon.  ;D ;D  Good thing my B-day is early April!!!!! 

Can't wait to see more vid's and reviews!!!!!

8) 8)
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 10:59:26 AM »
Thanks Whatz^

Let me know when you are in RI.... I'll bring the Skate and the Speeed, so you can do a little comparison test  :)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 03:48:48 PM »
Haha...you got it!  I'll be in touch given upcoming Turkey-Day and Xmas holidays...

And this (next) time it'll be breakfast at a joint voted one of Newport County's best b-fasts 7 years in a row walking distance from where we parked and SUPER casual! 

I've got a ton more questions!!!!!!!!

8) 8)

Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard