Author Topic: Transfering RSPro railtape onto a new board  (Read 8824 times)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Transfering RSPro railtape onto a new board
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
Hey, I have an old board that I hardly use with RSPro rail tape on in. Has anyone successfully moved RSPro rail tape off of one board and on to another? any tips on doing it?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Transfering RSPro railtape onto a new board
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »
pull it off and stick it on the new one. I have some RSPro that's been on three boards now.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 12:16:47 AM »
I actually did in in the parking lot of Big Winds on a couple saw horses in about ten minutes. I got a warranty replacement Bullet V2 and I only had about 15 minutes to swap the fin and the RSPro to the new board or I was going to miss the Viento shuttle. I just ripped it off, eyeballed it and stuck it down. Funny thing is that it is on the new board better than the first time I applied it to the old board since it had formed to the shape of the rails. Great product.
JP
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:18:41 AM by JP4 »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 04:03:51 AM »

I would do it on a good warm/hot day to loosen up the glue.

I had to remove and re-install it on my Sunova and it pulled some graphics off with it. It went back on alright but I should have waited for a warmer day or used a heat gun.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:06:28 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 05:17:53 AM »
I tried it on a Naish Nalu and it removed the graphics and some of the paint/lacquer so I had to give up. So you need a board that has decent paintwork.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 06:01:42 AM »
There is that. If the board you put it on already had chipped paint or a poorly adhered graphic,  some will likely stay on the tape. I had some chips come off on a board that I used a while before I stuck on the rspro. If you lay the tape down on it's back side carefully, and weight the ends so it doesn't curl up, you can pick off the chips with tweezers. Be careful not to let the tape faces touch each other. It might be possible to get that apart again with two people, but I couldn't do it by myself.

If you get your greasy fingers on the end of the tape it might not stay down perfectly. In the past, I trimmed the damaged adhesive off, but I learned that you can hold it down with some masking tape and leave it a day or so. The adhesive somehow "fixes" itself. Perhaps it flows past the grease. Whatever, it works.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supbarton

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:51:03 AM »
Just to jump in here.  I've also been able told remove RSPro Rail tape and I use a hair dryer over a heat gun because if your not careful with the heat gun you can damage the board.  Just use caution.

I am a huge fan of the RSPro tape but I'm always searching for a less expensive product because I repair boards for people and often add rail tape to there boards if I think they should be using it.

I just purchased some rail tape called SUPSMART RAIL TAPE.  It is texturized just like the RSPro tape and for 2-4" by 84" pieces cost me $30. 

I got it for my new Infinity Surf Sup.  I was actually able to cut it in half and I will do 2 boards with the 4 pieces.
I only put it where my paddle could potentially hit the board.  It is definitely worth checking out.

I also really like the RSPro clear traction pads.  Have some of those on order to install on the nose of my Infinity and Starboard Hypernut.  The traction pads are very nice.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Anybody had success applying the tape wet? Ive heard it goes on easier with less air bubbles.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »
I've done a wet application with the other Rail Saver tape (Pukka Patch) and it works Ok.  Maybe more foolproof but you really need to work at getting the bubbles out.  Also a longer drying time, but in either case, you want to give it at least a day.  For RS Pro, I always use the dry approach because it will re-stick.

Here is Jimmy with some excellent technique regardless of what tape you use.

https://youtu.be/2yybqWB77Vo
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:44:57 PM by Bean »

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »
I did the wet install as well. A drop of dish soap in a 16 oz sprayer to get the rail and rs pro wet. stick the center line all the way down the board and work out from there. You will get bubbles no matter how good you are but with the texture of the rs pro you can use a thumb tack and poke a hole to release air. I did Heli tape on another board and bubbles or pin holes are a lot more noticeable on perfectly clear tapes vs rs pro. good stuff for sure.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 02:47:35 PM »

I've done both the wet and dry methods. If the graphics of the board give you a well defined line to follow, then the dry method is easy. If you have no line to follow and are doing it by eye, the wet method is safer because you can move it around until you get it just right.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
I've done both methods and wet is far better. Use lots of water.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
I am transferring  RS PRO railsaver and one part doesnt have enough stickiness left. what would folks use? something sticky but NOT permanent...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 08:07:45 PM »
Just hold it down with tape and see what happens. I've done it three or four times--one time it didn't work and I had to trim the tape, all the others eventually stuck down and stayed just fine. I can't imagine how this works, but it does.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »
I just purchased some rail tape called SUPSMART RAIL TAPE.  It is texturized just like the RSPro tape and for 2-4" by 84" pieces cost me $30. 

I got it for my new Infinity Surf Sup.  I was actually able to cut it in half and I will do 2 boards with the 4 pieces.
I only put it where my paddle could potentially hit the board.  It is definitely worth checking out.
Number of years ago I bought some of this at SUPATX when they had a retail shop in our area (since closed), and thought it was pretty solid stuff. Only thing I didn't like was the texture on it, as I like to sit and chat at time between sets, and this "texture" was like sandpaper on the inside of my thighs...so I eventually took it off, and just practiced not whacking the crap outta my board with my paddle.

Other than that though it's pretty strong stuff, because there were some pretty scared up areas of it on the board, and when I took it off, the rails underneath were like brand new. SUPATX still has if for the $25 (plus free shipping) that I paid in the store for it way back when.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal