Author Topic: Fragile Naishboards?  (Read 18837 times)

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fragile Naishboards?
« on: December 20, 2016, 12:55:14 PM »
Hello!
I have a friend here in Sweden who repairs and shapes boards. Everytime he gets a Naish (raceboard) in for repair the damage to them are extensive and some dings and damages are a bit hard to understand how they happened. Other brands are more straight forward. The ding is where it got hit but in a Naish case the ding seems to generate "aftershocks". Don't know how to explain it better. Does anyone have similar experience with Naish? Are they a bit more fragile than others? This concerns both the carbonboards and the raceboards that are supposed to be a bit more durable.

Henrik F
crosswater.se

BrownSugah

• Malibu Status
  • Like Pahhtay wit me ?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fragile Naishboards?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 01:06:29 PM »
I have heard similar things and its been in the more recent versions of the boards. I heard it might just be a bad batch but starboard is made out of the same factory not sure this helps any but yeah i have heard this alot lately in SO CAL
ALOHA

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »
I've talked to our local board repair guy about what brands are worse or more common than others and he says that Naish are one of the better made boards..

From my experience with Naish they used to be very strong and durable and over the years became lighter.. weaker.. and more fragile (especially the race boards) but this has been brought on to be competitive with other brands of light and fragile boards..

Naish have turned this around in recent years.. 2016 boards are better but 2017 boards are much much better.. They may weigh a little more but they are much stronger and stiffer.. The new Quest boards have amazing strength and durability.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:10:09 PM »
I have heard similar things and its been in the more recent versions of the boards. I heard it might just be a bad batch but starboard is made out of the same factory not sure this helps any but yeah i have heard this alot lately in SO CAL

Thanks!
crosswater.se

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »
I've talked to our local board repair guy about what brands are worse or more common than others and he says that Naish are one of the better made boards..

From my experience with Naish they used to be very strong and durable and over the years became lighter.. weaker.. and more fragile (especially the race boards) but this has been brought on to be competitive with other brands of light and fragile boards..

Naish have turned this around in recent years.. 2016 boards are better but 2017 boards are much much better.. They may weigh a little more but they are much stronger and stiffer.. The new Quest boards have amazing strength and durability.

Thanks DJ
crosswater.se

SUPsideATX

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »
Hello!
I have a friend here in Sweden who repairs and shapes boards. Everytime he gets a Naish (raceboard) in for repair the damage to them are extensive and some dings and damages are a bit hard to understand how they happened. Other brands are more straight forward. The ding is where it got hit but in a Naish case the ding seems to generate "aftershocks". Don't know how to explain it better. Does anyone have similar experience with Naish? Are they a bit more fragile than others? This concerns both the carbonboards and the raceboards that are supposed to be a bit more durable.

Henrik F

What are the year(s) having the most issues?
12'6"Laird/Bark
10'6" SUP ATX
10' SUP ATX
11'6" Surftech-Surftank Universal

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 12:14:45 PM »
Hello!

Henrik F

What are the year(s) having the most issues?

Seems like 2012 hollow, and raceboards 2013-16. No idea about 2017.
This is a pic of a 2016 (not full carbon) that seems to have been delivered like this. Plenty of water in this one.

Henrik F
crosswater.se

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »
The 2010 and 2011 race boards were as tough as old boots. Mine are still going strong, no problems.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 03:32:04 PM »
HF, shake that board a little, I think the soup spoon that you used to remove the pad may have fallen into that gaping hole ;D

BTW, love my 2015 LE. 

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 04:38:10 PM »
My 2013 Glide (not really a raceboard) sets the standard for durability.  Not sure I'll ever let go of it because of this.  Consistent with what's been said here, it's not exactly light--so probably before the quest to make things super-light may have brought on fragility.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 05:16:15 PM »
DJ.......such a Naish fan.......drives a yellow vehicle.......wears naish coloured crocs......am sure he must also use naish paddles.
Doesn't actually go surfing.......just rides the occasional ripple on a non threatening point break.
Nice to be set in one's ways ......but hardly an impartial commentator about naish durability :)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »
Carbon and glass act very different in a impact, carbon is brittle and shaters on impact but damage should stay localised glass dissipates the impact more with less damage but over a larger area. The thing you really have to look for is the layup shedule they state which they have a habit of changing every year! Only take these with a pitch of salt though as they all have a habit of trying to  deceive everyone with minimal info. Most brands have had good and bad years on there race board line 13-14 was bad for sb 13,14,15 bad for fanatic naish were not great 15/16 from the ones I had in for repair. It's is also worth noting that often brands do not build all there boards in the same factory some of the cheaper constructions are often made with less skilled laybour and lower quality materials in other countries.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 06:15:51 PM »
GizzeeNZ - None of that means that what DJ is saying isn't true. And he is better positioned to judge than most people because each year he buys the latest one.

I wish all the big brands would make their boards at the same factory that Jimmy Lewis uses (Kinetic, Vietnam, I think) rather than at Cobra in Thailand (mostly). The JL boards are cheaper and better made IMO. I'm not convinced about the QC procedures at Cobra. I suspect that unless the brand has someone actually there full time watching over the factory shapers, corners can get cut and mistakes not picked up. And as supuk says, sometimes the board isn't made in either factory, and they may not have rigorous QC procedures.

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 07:16:18 PM »
My understanding of the Cobra Factory:
Same factory yes.... but each brand is fully independent of each other. Different tech, different employees, different materials, different management.

I believe Fanatics are made there and their HRS construction has no connection to the construction of other brands at the same factory.

Secrets are not shared.

I could be totally wrong... but the difference in quality coming out of the same factory, seems to support "total separation of teams" within the factory.
Anyone know for sure?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 08:31:35 PM »
^ ask your buddy Tino

let us know the answer, just out of curiosity

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM