Author Topic: First impressions of GoFoil Kai Foil  (Read 21840 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: First impressions of GoFoil Kai Foil
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »
Awesome!

Excellent takes. That first shot with the sunset behind is sweet. Nice riding. Sometimes strapped, sometimes free. Please share the challenges

Loved that short punk and fast session (2nd vid)! It’s ridiculous that your t-shirt isn’t even wet. Just ridiculous. Cool tunes, footage and fun in the last vid.

Seeing you guys having fun learning new stuff in water and waves while it's pow season here makes it really feel like a small shared blue planet. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:12:11 PM by yugi »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  We will have another "learning to SUP foil" video coming out soon that will have lots of crashes and we talk about the challenging learning process.  Check the first two "learning to foil" videos in this thread for the crash reel.  We foiled behind a jet ski four times before even attempting to foil in waves and that helped a lot.  I have only done it in waves about 10 times now and am able to get long rides already, so it's certainly not impossible to learn if you persist.  The GoFoils are quite forgiving and are easier to learn on than the kite foil we were using at first when towing behind the jet ski.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »
I have not tested it but I'm sure it would sink, it's pretty hefty.
Alex Aguera said the Go Foils will float, which is a good thing if something breaks.  My friend had F-One foil which sank after the mast broke.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »
I just got my Maliko Foil and am waiting for a windy day to try it in a downwinder.  I have it mounted to a 12'6 x 28 Bump Surfer and mounted the Tuttle box so I can chop off 2' from the tail if needed.  I did try it in some onshore slop and was able to get it foiling a few times, so I think this setup will work for downwinders.
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »
cool good to see the maliko foil I'm havnt heard a word since Christmas about mine that was due to be shipped :( looks like a very flat foil compared to the kai?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2017, 06:08:54 PM »
Looks like a lot of square inches and a pretty long fuselage.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »
I ordered the Maliko Foils last summer and finally got the first two and we are still waiting for the rest of the order.   I think they are slowly getting up to speed on production but still not enough to meet the demand.
The fuselage on the Maliko Foil is the same length as on the Kai Foil but it does have a bigger surface area (both the front wing and the rear stabilizer) and the front wing is flatter with less curve. 
I rode it again today and got some pretty long rides, I think I'm almost ready to try it on a downwinder.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:54:35 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 01:52:40 AM »
Robert, that's a sweet rig, board and foil.

Curious to see how the placement goes. This seems really sensible to me but like a lot of things the real world tests will tell the tale. But the mid position just seems more likely to be able to recover from a touch and go like you'd see in downwinders.

Can't wait for the videos.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
So stoked Robert is doing this.  Riding shore waves is great but I saw Kai last April out in the open ocean and know that's the end game. 

Did my first try yesterday in very small surf.  27" by 8'6" board was tough for me to even stand on initially but after about five attempts I got up and started paddling.  Kept the board down on the water but felt it release on the little bump.  The boys told me to keep my weight forward and not lift too soon, working my way into the lift.  So I never lifted.  Will try a wider board like Sam's and hopefully find a comfort zone I can work with.  The guy I borrowed the board from is good on 27" and he's the same weight as me but very fit and 25 younger.  It was one of Dave's board and it had a little smile face up on the nose, which made me smile.

Getting front foot centered is important as soon as the board starts to get pushed.  Back foot too but most guys already have that down.  I'm trying to visualize being centered once I eventually lift as I've seen guys that weren't and the consequences are immediate.  I've heard of a hybrid foil coming out soon between the Kai and the Maliko.  I'm jazzed.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
Back to Robert's 12'   I think it's great because although it's apparently more ideal for 'pumping' what happens to a shorter board when the wind dies.  Well you know what happens.  You're paddling a potato chip with a brick under it.  So I think Robert is right on.  Finding the right length trade off will be the big experiment. 

Kai was on a sawed off race board last april when I saw him on a dw run.  It was 10'.  Robert is very strong and might be able to go lower than this 12' but that length seems about right to me.  I'll be very interested to see how it works for him... once the wind returns.

In a perfect world the wind would crank from start to finish but as we all know that is very seldom.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »
I agree and I trust Robert's hours on the water as well.

Interesting about the front foot staying centered. I wondered if that L/R orientation was critical or if the foil stabilized you.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »
I agree and I trust Robert's hours on the water as well.

Interesting about the front foot staying centered. I wondered if that L/R orientation was critical or if the foil stabilized you.

Nope.  No stabilization if you're off center.  I've been out on the surfski watching, even riding the same waves with these guys.  Anything off centered results in a turn.  It's so very sensitive.  Think Flyin Wallendas with your blade in front like a balance pole.  You're gonna flip Cowboy.  It's unreal.  You can turn nothing surf into lemonade every day of the week.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2017, 03:34:10 PM »
Right, even if your weight is slightly off center you will not be able to control the foil once flying so the foot positioning is very important.  I still tend to stagger my feet a bit with the front foot a bit to the left and the back foot a bit to the right of the center line and that seems to work too.  I think having straps would help me place the feet more on the center line.
I added a tail pad to my board yesterday which helps me place the back foot in the right spot and protects my shins from the screws.  The photos are from this morning, surfing tiny waves in Waikiki.  The foil make surfing small waves fun again!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:40:31 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
Those arch pads are a great idea to get the center line.

And HM, I agree. I really want to make use of all the "almost" waves we have here. So many little coves that you can paddle to that get a bump but not a real break. I intend to make my own spots all up and down the coast here.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2017, 08:16:40 PM »
Whats the logic behind coil leashes on foil boards? Do straight leashes just get tangled in the foil?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal