Author Topic: Attach a foil to anything  (Read 10866 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Attach a foil to anything
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 01:55:38 AM »
That proves it.  Stand Up paddlers can kick Kiteboarder's asses at pull-ups.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 09:38:55 AM »
Yeah, the video shows that it will work fine on the right board. The most significant proof is that little kids really like to climb. Watching the video and seeing the bottom of that very stout board flex inward at the bottom and out at the top, I'm thinking "do that on any SUP board I own and you'll be on your ass".

A light SUP board has a remarkably small amount of material, and just enough strength to do what it was designed to do. You need a mongo board to use the mount reliably as is. Even something in the range of 35 pounds for a ten footer would probably not be enough.

It's still an easy path to a foilboard. You could add three or four layers of glass and carbon to the bottom of a board as a tapered, board width, quarter length patch. A flat patch is an easy layup. The end result would be as strong or stronger than the typical mount which is two fin boxes. Still not as strong as a tuttle, but I think most foil bases use the fin box mounting, not a tuttle. And if the board you mount a tuttle into is really flimsy, the tuttle is going to delam too.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:47:53 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 02:03:52 AM »
Pono, taking DW's advice and keeping the bottom flat, you could bag in a nice piece of 1/8" birch ply and sandwich that up for a post mount. That'd get you a nice mount point if done well. Hell, make the whole bottom out of it, it's a foil board, just give it a Wavestorm-like down rail all around. Hmmm...

Stoke

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:04 PM »
I know this thread is a little stale, but seemed like the appropriate place to post some feedback on the foil mount. I went this route because I wanted to mount a foil to a 6' FCD Fark shortboard that is too thin for a tuttle box. I'm using a GoFoil Kai with a Manta adapter to the track mount.  I have a handful of days on it and it seems solid.  I'm guessing it's stronger than my board is.  My board is pretty flat but with very slight tail rocker.  You can see in the photo that the foil mount is peeled up a bit toward the tail (1/2" back?).  Not sure if this is due to difficulty getting the glue to set initially in that spot or perhaps leaving the foil bolted on, which would tend to pull the mount back to flat (and the tail section away from the board).  Either way, I have been riding it like that and it doesn't feel loose at all. 

The adapter is from Manta.  It's about as clean as I could imagine, but still seems sadly bulky to add to such an efficient foil.  I guess it doesn't matter when I'm in the air but I definitely think about it when I'm paddling to catch a wave.  Also, not sure I love that the foil is a few inches deeper than it would otherwise have been.  https://www.mantafoils.com/e-shop/Manta-deep-tuttle-to-plate-adapter-p85832834

I know the GoFoils float, but when it's attached to the metal adapter and the foil mount... not so sure.  I tied up a little leash that goes around to my leash string for the time being just to give myself some peace of mind until I'm a little more confident in the setup. 

Overall, easy to install, so far so good.  For about the same price I kind of wish I went the route of installing twin boxes.  I'd have a little more confidence and at least I could still go surf this board without the foil that way. 

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
Stoke
  How long was the wait/ ship time for The Tuttle adapter  plate from Manta?  I know its overseas from the US.. Is anyone here make an adapter plate? I too have the foil mount attached to my SUP ( working well so far. dozen sessions on it ).. Thanks for the input.
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Stoke

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 09:56:30 PM »
It's either a long wait (multi week) or expensive postage from overseas for the Manta. I'm a little surprised there isn't a domestic alternative but I didn't run across one. GoFoil said they're working on one but it's not available yet. They referred me to Manta in the meantime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal