Author Topic: Shopping for new gloves? Do the counter test.  (Read 4742 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Shopping for new gloves? Do the counter test.
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:02:45 AM »
I've been wearing Excel Drylock gloves and mitts for a few years now. They are starting to wear out and it's time to replace them. I liked them alright but they did have a problem of slipping on the paddle shaft now and then, even after I waxed it.

So I went down to my local shop (Cinnamon Rainbows) to see what they had. I looked at the Xcels, Patagonia, Quicksilver and Body Glove.

I went with the Body Glove 5mm Pr1me Claw glove. 

http://shop.bodyglove.com/r/en/product.php?product_id=59801

The material is super soft and stretchy, they go on and off easily, but most of all they have incredible grip on smooth surfaces. I put one on and tried to slide my hand across the glass counter at the shop and it would not budge. The Xcels slide across the glass with hardly any grip at all and therefore they will also slip on your paddle.

When shopping and comparing gloves, always do the counter test. Get gloves that will grip glass and reject the ones that don't.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:36:01 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shopping for new gloves? Do the counter test.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 04:38:17 AM »
That sure is an odd looking glove.  2+2 fingers feels ok ?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 04:49:54 AM »

It's 1 + 3 fingers, plus a thumb.

I've used the same style from Xcel for years. They are for when it's too cold for a five finger glove but not so cold that you need a full mitt.

It's like part glove, part mitt. The index finger gives you more dexterity while still retaining the warmth of a full mitt. Sometimes my index finger will get cold but it's easy to pull it inside with the others for a few minutes to warm it up.

When it's below freezing, I go with a full mitt. My hands get cold easier than most people.

Some people don't like mitts but they feel comfortable enough to me as long as my hands are warm.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:28:46 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 09:31:48 AM »

It's 1 + 3 fingers, plus a thumb.

I've used the same style from Xcel for years. They are for when it's too cold for a five finger glove but not so cold that you need a full mitt.

It's like part glove, part mitt. The index finger gives you more dexterity while still retaining the warmth of a full mitt. Sometimes my index finger will get cold but it's easy to pull it inside with the others for a few minutes to warm it up.

When it's below freezing, I go with a full mitt. My hands get cold easier than most people.

Some people don't like mitts but they feel comfortable enough to me as long as my hands are warm.

How's the dexterity of these gloves in general and compares to the Xcell? Do feel you can excuse
a really good stroke with it?
in progress...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 09:58:15 AM »
How's the dexterity of these gloves in general and compares to the Xcell? Do feel you can excuse

I was pretty happy with the dexterity of the Xcels but now that I've compared the two, the Xcels feel a bit stiffer.

The Body Glove material is very stretchy so it conforms more to the shape of your hand as you grip the paddle. It's their version of NeoGoo. I like it. It has a soft, squishy feeling to it. I haven't actually paddled with them yet but I'm pretty sure they will be superior to the Xcels for controlling the paddle. The extra grippyness also gives the Body Gloves an advantage. I'm hoping to test them in some waves tomorrow.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:11:42 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 10:26:08 AM »

I was pretty happy with the dexterity of the Xcels but now that I've compared the two, the Xcels feel a bit stiffer.

The Body Glove material is very stretchy so it conforms more to the shape of your hand as you grip the paddle. It's their version of NeoGoo. I like it. It has a soft, squishy feeling to it. I haven't actually paddled with them yet but I'm pretty sure they will be superior to the Xcels for controlling the paddle. The extra grippyness also gives the Body Gloves an advantage. I'm hoping to test them in some waves tomorrow.

Sounds promising. Please report once you got some time on the water if you don't mind.

I'm constantly on the lookout for a good Winter glove (mid 40 and below). My hands are
more sensitive than the usual as well. I found the All New NRS 3mm Maxim gloves to work
very well all the way down to mid 40's, super comfortable and allow full operation of the paddle.
Felt much better than comparable gloves from Oneil and Xcel. Good grip as well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:27:47 AM by burchas »
in progress...

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:45:36 PM »
One of the biggest issues I've found with neoprene gloves is cramping in the hands and forearms from gripping the paddle or bar/boom.
Most of the brands construct their gloves flat or mildly curved at best. When holding a SUP paddle, a WS boom, or a kite control bar, the neoprene will stretch over the back of the hand causing muscle fatigue. Mostly kitesurfers and windsurfers report having this issue. I've now experience this issue when SUPing as well. The best solution I've found is finding two specific things with the glove design and construction...

1) Radically curved fingers to eliminate the hand/forearm fatigue.
2) Thin neoprene on the palm side of the hand (2mm or less).

Right now I'm using the Ride Engine glove...  http://www.rideengine.com/GEAR/Wetsuits/2mm-Gloves.html
Here's what I've used in the past...
Gul Windward glove...  http://www.gul.com/sail/accessories/gloves/windward-1-5mm-sailing-glove-25954
GlacierGlove Perfect Curve glove...  http://www.glacierglove.com/perfect-curve-glove/

Using the radically curved gloves has been a game changer for me. Before I could only last about 30 minutes before my hands and forearms were toast.
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »

Any glove/mitt might be better with radically curved fingers but it's not a must have thing with me.  The Body Glove Claw gloves do have some curve to them which I like.

I've had my arms cramp up a few times, but in my case, I don't think it has a lot to do with how I grip the paddle although my paddling technique could use some improvement. I try to grip the paddle as lightly as possible. Even my 7mm Xcel mitts don't seem to directly cause any cramping.

None of those brands you mentioned would keep my hands warm this time of year. They might make good early/late summer gloves, but I'm not like most people.

Grippyness is now my number one priority. How well do your gloves perform the counter test?

These Neil Pryde 3 finger 5mm pre-shaped gloves look nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsWMflpaBqU

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:13:46 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »
One of the biggest issues I've found with neoprene gloves is cramping in the hands and forearms from gripping the paddle or bar/boom.
Most of the brands construct their gloves flat or mildly curved at best. When holding a SUP paddle, a WS boom, or a kite control bar, the neoprene will stretch over the back of the hand causing muscle fatigue. Mostly kitesurfers and windsurfers report having this issue. I've now experience this issue when SUPing as well. The best solution I've found is finding two specific things with the glove design and construction...

1) Radically curved fingers to eliminate the hand/forearm fatigue.
2) Thin neoprene on the palm side of the hand (2mm or less).

Right now I'm using the Ride Engine glove...  http://www.rideengine.com/GEAR/Wetsuits/2mm-Gloves.html
Here's what I've used in the past...
Gul Windward glove...  http://www.gul.com/sail/accessories/gloves/windward-1-5mm-sailing-glove-25954
GlacierGlove Perfect Curve glove...  http://www.glacierglove.com/perfect-curve-glove/

Using the radically curved gloves has been a game changer for me. Before I could only last about 30 minutes before my hands and forearms were toast.

Good suggestions! I've stopped wearing anything thicker than 2 mm NRS Maverick gloves because I didn't like the stiffness of thicker neoprene gloves that I'd tried. Maybe some of these radically curved options will allow me to keep warmer without the strain of thicker straight gloves.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »
I also have hands that are very sensitive to the cold. I’ve tried more gloves and glove liners than I can count and this year came across these gloves from MEC (https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-352/H2O-3mm-Gloves). I haven’t had them out in the extreme cold, but for our winter climate they have so far worked great for me.

As for the counter test, I’m afraid these would not pass. But to rectify that, I use the 3M gripping material that Burchas had earlier recommended (https://www.amazon.com/3M-Gripping-Material-TB400-Black/dp/B0093CQF00/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482078058&sr=8-2&keywords=3M+gripping+material+TB400). Works great and this way I don’t have to worry about finding gloves that are both warm and grip well. I just need to find gloves that keep my hands warm and the gloves mentioned above from MEC are just what I was looking for.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »
QB - have those same neoprene gloves but an early version with green vs blue labels.  They do help quite a bit when really cold - plus use a 3mm neoprene beanie as well.  You lose a lot of fine dexterity with 3mm bulging around each finger - but it definitely makes the cold water a lot more bearable this time of year.  Good choice.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 03:24:30 AM »
QB/Burchas - That 3M gripping material looks like a good product. I might have to get some.

It says it comes in a wide range of tactility from firm to soft. The soft is designed to be more comfortable during skin contact. The material QB linked is the firm. Is that what you guys went with?

This is the ultra soft. Do you think it would be durable enough?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Gripping-Material-TB641-Black/dp/B0093CQPW8/ref=pd_day0_328_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YM8E5X9G22QQQDA45TVE

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:50:25 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 06:11:53 AM »
QB/Burchas - That 3M gripping material looks like a good product. I might have to get some.

It says it comes in a wide range of tactility from firm to soft. The soft is designed to be more comfortable during skin contact. The material QB linked is the firm. Is that what you guys went with?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Gripping-Material-TB641-Black/dp/B0093CQPW8/ref=pd_day0_328_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YM8E5X9G22QQQDA45TVE

Personally, If found the 641 a good combination between comfort and durability, it also
comes in the form of sheets of 6x7inches (rather than the 1inch roll) which I find easier for
application and more durable and streamlined as far as the grip:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093CQQNQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 400 will be even thinner and more durable.

Comfortably is a very personal thing as I discovered while giving some of my fellow paddlers
samples of various models.

If I were you I would try both. Here is a link for some technical specs:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/956447O/pressure-sensitive-adhesive-psa-backed-3m-gripping-material.pdf

in progress...

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 07:13:45 AM »
QB - have those same neoprene gloves but an early version with green vs blue labels.  They do help quite a bit when really cold - plus use a 3mm neoprene beanie as well.  You lose a lot of fine dexterity with 3mm bulging around each finger - but it definitely makes the cold water a lot more bearable this time of year.  Good choice.   ;)

Hi Eagle,

Yes, I really like them. I know what you mean about fine dexterity, but I really don’t think they are all that bad. I’ve tried all kinds of 2mm gloves and they just aren’t warm enough for me. I’ve even tried them with glove warmers inside and they are still not warm enough. And with the glove warmers they are almost as “bulky” as the 3mm gloves. When I found these 3mm gloves I couldn’t believe how much warmer my hands were. While I did lose some dexterity in comparison to the 2mm. gloves, the difference in warmth was well worth the trade off for me. In fact, I liked them so much I went and bought a second pair.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 07:16:12 AM »

Hi Badger,

I’m not sure about the one you linked as I have only tried the one I linked (the TB 400). I think it’s great stuff and while I haven’t used it a lot with bare hands, the times I have done so it hasn’t been an issue. Should also say I got the exact product that I linked and I initially wasn’t sure how I would apply it. My first thought was that I would peel the adhesive off the back and wrap it around the paddle shaft but then I saw one of Burchas' posts where he just taped it to one side of the shaft. I tried that and it works really well. I cut a strip off the role about 13” long. I figured out approximately where my bottom hand placement is on the paddle shaft, and ran the 3M product vertically along the front of the shaft. To hold it in place, instead of using the adhesive on the back, I just held it in place by wrapping some electrical tape around the top, bottom and two or three places in between. This keeps the 3M product perfectly in place and I use very little of it at a time this way.

Have also found the 3M product seems to stand up very well. I still haven’t replaced the initial 13” piece I taped on, although as I said earlier, I haven't used it a great deal.

Hope this helps.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal