Author Topic: A close look at the new Malolo.  (Read 6985 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
A close look at the new Malolo.
« on: December 16, 2016, 04:39:17 PM »
Here's a close look at the new Naish Malolo foil sup board..

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: A close look at the new Malolo.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »
Thank you for posting this DJ.  I find it interesting that both the Malolo and GoFoils have a very thick foil profile unlike kite foils that are pretty thin.  I guess the thicker foil creates more lift at lower speeds. 

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 05:21:45 PM »
How does it look on your roof rack?   ::)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
Thank you for posting this DJ.  I find it interesting that both the Malolo and GoFoils have a very thick foil profile unlike kite foils that are pretty thin.  I guess the thicker foil creates more lift at lower speeds.

Thanks Robert.. Yes they are short.. wide.. and thick.. Naish have made this as an easy to use low speed/high lift foil..

They are working on a longer.. narrower.. and thinner.. foil that is designed for higher speeds and they will be available as a replacement that con go on the same mast..

They are also working on a foil for windsurfing and I'm guessing it will be more like the new higher speed sup foil.. or more like their kiting foil..

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 05:45:18 PM by DavidJohn »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »
I wonder what Naish would rate the lifting capacity as? that's not a lot of area. You'd need a huge foil coefficient to make that work at 4-5 MPH.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »
I have never seen a shop like that in my life, rather not in the last 10 years of my life.  I used to see them in the Gorge and in Maui but OMG.  Skateboards, windsurfers, racks full of sails and booms and then all those beautiful SUP's.

I went to the DMV today and stopped by the Ski and Windsurf shop off 101 in San Mateo.  Nothing but snowboards and skis.  Then again its winter time in Northern California.  I was hoping for a SUP or two on closeout, or maybe to check out a set of fins.  NO-DICE, notta - NOTHING.

In the US the theory is that Mail Order killed the windsurf shop.  I guess mail order isn't the same in Australia.

On the topic at hand - Thicker foils are generally for lower speed high lift applications.  The surprising thing is the reverse dihedral or anhedral.   Most airplanes have dihedral or upward curving wings.  On a wing dihedral adds stability.  This foil would appear to do the opposite, curving downward, to add instability even at the cost to lift.  A purely flat wing has the most efficient lift profile and generally long thin whispy wings like an albatross are most efficient. 

ODD - Maybe they're on to something maybe its purely first generation stuff. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihedral_(aeronautics)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:24:30 PM by Beasho »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 10:32:30 PM »
Good for Naish for bringing this to market first.

Some obvious questions are:

Why is it so heavy?
Why is it substantially made a aluminium?
How much does it cost?
Why is it 28" wide (since foils apparently add a large amount of stability when paddling - is this an indication of the foil or board design?).
When are you going to try one?

And yes, that shop is amazing. We've not got anything remotely like that in the UK. That's such a huge amount of stock it would be considered too risky here I think. The SUP market in Australia must be very strong.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 11:29:12 PM »
Good for Naish for bringing this to market first.

Some obvious questions are:

Why is it so heavy?
Why is it substantially made a aluminium?
How much does it cost?
Why is it 28" wide (since foils apparently add a large amount of stability when paddling - is this an indication of the foil or board design?).
When are you going to try one?

And yes, that shop is amazing. We've not got anything remotely like that in the UK. That's such a huge amount of stock it would be considered too risky here I think. The SUP market in Australia must be very strong.

It's reasonably heavy because the mast is aluminum and not carbon.. and the fuselage is also aluminum.. Making these carbon would add another grand to the already high price.. The wings on the foils are carbon and with it being a much thicker foil than the kite surfing foils the core must add weight..

A normal Maliko here (Oz) cost $4,000 and these complete cost a little over $5,000..

The board is 28" wide so most people can balance on it when at a standstill..

It has a normal fin box and can be paddled without the foil.. but carrying it will be very tricky because the handle location is perfectly balanced when the foil is in place.. I think they need two handles..

I'm keen to try one at that little break that I often surf at that has a long rolling unbroken wave.. It should work very well there.. I wonder if it's too small for me to paddle.. This one is sold but maybe he will let me try it.. I almost hope I can't do it .. or don't like it because it will get very expensive for me..  8)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:49:02 PM by DavidJohn »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 04:42:13 AM »
the Naish is advertised at $5499AUD think the go foil is $2200AUD so there is a difference the thing is if they say its a price point foil however if its aimed at the lower end and learners maybe the wings should be more solid and not carbon as thats the bit that will go first every time. I also hear there is going to be a very strict policy for warranties due to the chances of hitting something underwater being very high! Will be interesting to compare it against the Starboard/GoFoil when that turns up and see how much lighter the all carbon construction is. Two handles would have been very sensible being as the put the extra inbox in and you are not always going to be carrying it with the foil in and out the garage.
I was told no demos and i can understand why certainly until there are more available.

There seams to be a huge number of sup specific foils coming on to the market so hopefully this will drive the compassion and prices down a little.

I pulled this still of kai's foil of one of his newer vids looks a little different.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 05:06:58 AM »
We have one local foiler who's at a pro level and has ridden almost every brand out there. He's everyone's go to guy on foils.

He rides the heaviest foil out there, the Slingshot Hoverglide. It's shocking how heavy it is, and he says weight is better.

Light wings are more affected by ocean currents, foam, etc.. you can feel vibrations transferred into the board more often.

Heavy just handles wave riding better, currents, foam, rides more solid.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 08:03:22 AM »
Beasho, next time you're in the Gorge, check out Big Winds. I love the look and character of the Aussie shop, but Big Winds has all the good stuff, in spades. And if you're in Portland, there's Gorge Performance, which has all the stuff, and all the character, as well as a stoked nutcase running the show.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 08:10:22 AM »
Cool, thanks for sharing.

Are Naish, Starboard, Gofoil copying each other's designs, or did Gofoil license their design to Naish and or Starboard?

Did a DW run yesterday, first time in months, I was all over the place.  I'm suspecting foil DW is going to have a steep initial learning curve.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 10:07:04 AM »
^ do you know how to foil pulled behind a boat already?

You need a really experienced waterski driver. As a general rule most waterski drivers are a bit lame at finessing. Throttleheading doesn't seem to have much in common with that kind of skill. You need a driver who can finesse the boat and deliver a silky smooth ride. You're going to need to dial in your own WholeNewLevel of smoothness so you don't want to deal with a jerky driver. Look for someone who slack-lines and drives waterski boats, that could be a good combo. For example.

I haven't foiled on SUP yet. I'm saying this from memory in AirChair foiling days. Yep, about 30 years ago.

You'll understand everything I said once you've foiled. The dampened response you need is hard to explain. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:34:57 AM by yugi »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 04:16:11 PM »
It just became possible to turn any board into a foil board in 5 minutes.

https://foilmount.com

Tuttle version coming soon.

https://youtu.be/CCrBuRaSZRc

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 06:56:25 PM »
The concern for me would be that the foil mount would unstick at some point.  But the ease to install is amazing if it holds permanently.  Normally that works fine for above water applications on a board.  But underwater with lots of flow and splash and torque might be too much over time.  Seems a tad risky.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal