Author Topic: $38 for a SUPreme wetsuit?  (Read 7601 times)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: $38 for a SUPreme wetsuit?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »
I've got the same suit but LS and like it.  I think it'd still be a good deal at 3x what you paid for it.  I've had good experiences with SUPreme stuff--granted I'm fortunate enough to not really need it all that much so my opinion on durability probably isn't as informed as burchas.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 06:07:27 AM »
SUPreme suits for that price has GOT TO BE AN AMAZING DEAL So far below my cost I'd buy a bunch

The ONLY drawback to the SUPreme line is they don't offer a SUPER WARM winter suit If they would just tape and Glue the seams of the 4/3 they have that would do it for me. But the again they are part of a wetsuit group that has Hyperflex which makes a ton of GREAT SUPER WARM SUITS For SUPing the AMP WIND is perfect for winter

OH yeah SUPreme makes wetsuits NOT Suits of Armor Like everyone else's they do wear out With care they will last 5yrs IMHO

Go get'm guys GREAT DEAL

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 08:06:14 AM »
My guess is that pricing at Amazon is not set by humans (other than initially) but rather algorithmically. Anything that's sitting too long gets reduced until it sells, and the price for replacement inventory rises. I suspect they constantly seek a price that turns inventory at some optimal rate. You can sometimes catch it at the low point of the swing, but not often. Inventory sitting on a shelf is the most expensive thing in retail (other than lawsuits). A taxable asset that takes space and consumes cash. Has to go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 08:23:01 AM »
My guess is that pricing at Amazon is not set by humans (other than initially) but rather algorithmically. Anything that's sitting too long gets reduced until it sells, and the price for replacement inventory rises. I suspect they constantly seek a price that turns inventory at some optimal rate. You can sometimes catch it at the low point of the swing, but not often. Inventory sitting on a shelf is the most expensive thing in retail (other than lawsuits). A taxable asset that takes space and consumes cash. Has to go.

Ahh yes, I think that explains the pricing anomaly.  The suits had been sitting there with just a single two star review and people were not buying them and the price went down bit by bit over the months.   My buying it tripped an algorithm that reset the price back up to $127.  I'll report on the condition when it arrives.   
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »
It seems like the price changes all the time. I went on Amazon to look and it listed the 3-2mm for $45.63.
I don't really need another suit right now, but for 45 bucks and free shipping I thought why not.

I ordered it and got the price. Then a few minutes later I checked and the same suit was $212.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »
I love my 4/3/2. Buy a bunch
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 08:21:22 AM »
It seems like the price changes all the time. I went on Amazon to look and it listed the 3-2mm for $45.63.
I don't really need another suit right now, but for 45 bucks and free shipping I thought why not.

I ordered it and got the price. Then a few minutes later I checked and the same suit was $212.

I had something similar happen on the Patagonia site a couple nights ago.  Looking for a new jacket, I was mildly interested in a hooded R3 at $254 (I went back to look at it more than a couple of times without buying).  Next day boom, price jumped to $379, as if to say, you blew it!   

So, is the Patagonia site training my buying habits, or did they simply sell a bunch of R3's in my size overnight and the price automatically recalibrated as PB suggested?  How does interest, expressed in searches on specific items, factor in the pricing of that item?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »
I was thinking about this just this morning. I'm reading the new book by Michael Lewis and the two sources merge into a sort of epiphany. What's the price of something that isn't selling?  As long as it's not selling, there is no price. Price is like Schrodinger's cat it's state doesn't exist until it's observed. It's not just unknown, it's unknowable. Until it's sold, then bam, there's a price.

Amazon has a huge amount of data about a lot of things, but for something that isn't selling, like a particular size of wetsuit, it is lacking the most important data. The question "what can we sell this for?" doesn't have an answer until someone buys. So if you were going to optimize price and avoid expensive dead inventory, you have to bounce the price around. Drop it low--sell one, instantly raise the price and see what happens.

Amazon is not like the retail businesses they disrupted. They "know" (in a data sense) where every bit of product is, how much space it takes, what they paid for it and every other parameter that can be directly measured or calculated about the product and the customers. And they know it in semi-real time. Profit is a constant negotiation between manufacturer, Amazon, and customers.

I was wondering this morning why it is that businesses everywhere were in a state that they could be disrupted. How did all these businesses get so broken, and why didn't they fix themselves. And then I realized that the ability to use data like this is very new, and most people don't even think of it. Admin, Chan and I tried to build a forum/magazine a couple of years ago that would address all the challenges and opportunities of doing business online, and how to use advanced tools to better position business. No interest. The people who understand this stuff have no reason to share, and the people who don't are clueless speed bumps.

Disruption is inevitable, and it will happen in every business. It's just starting.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:41:34 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 10:42:05 AM »
Knowing what the consumer needs and is willing to spend on a specific item right now resolves a lot of the traditional issues in retail sales.  But ultimately, knowing (or accurately predicting) what the consumer will need, and what they might be willing to spend on a specific item in the future, is where big data analytics will become very interesting.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
The wetsuit arrived today and it's great.  New, still sealed in plastic.  Folded, which I don't like.  The construction seems fine, all seams and stitching appear to be fine.  It's super soft and spongy.  Have no idea if it will be warm enough in our current 58 degree water and 55 degree air, but I'll find out tomorrow.  Stoked to have gotten it for under $20.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 08:43:27 PM »
You must be doing something right Zoo!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 08:52:55 PM »
You must be doing something right Zoo!
I'm amazed.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »
2 things, Patagonia just ended a huge sale so that could be coincidental but who knows.

If you want to check if they are jacking the price on just you, use another browser or clear your cookies. Pro Tip: if you are looking at airfares, the cookie thing will save you a ton of bread. If you go back later,  and they know it's you, it will be higher. For travel they know you are most likely not going to bail if the price is bumped.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2016, 08:51:17 AM »
I will definitely try that out SC. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2016, 10:08:48 AM »
I wear the 4/3/2 all winter here. It's so easy to get into and (more importantly) out of and far more comfortable, that I can't bring myself to wear my 5/4 that feels like a straightjacket when trying to take it off. Add a 5/3 hooded vest and the Supreme is good for most anything New England winters can dish out.....I do now draw the line at 15F especially if windy...getting wimpy in my old age..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal