Author Topic: Wetsuit thickness these days.....  (Read 6110 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Wetsuit thickness these days.....
« on: December 15, 2016, 07:56:40 AM »
You guys in RI still in 4/3's for the most part?  I suspect after this cold snap it'll be 5/4's at the least(?)  I get cold relatively easy but I'm hoping my 4/3 with a separate hooded vest (adding another mil or so around the torso) should keep me okay down to the lower 40's.....I'll find out next week! 

And Creek, you're disqualified cuz you ain't human....I suspect you're still comfy in a spring suit and no gloves or booties..   ;D ;D ;D

8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wetsuit thickness these days.....
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:59:10 AM »
My 6/5 is now in the truck as the weekend wind chill will drop the water temps.

My sense is a 5/4 would be fine until late January, I just don't have one (yet).
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 08:16:51 AM »
WhatSUP,

I agree Creek "Ain't Human"
however I feel I am I'm in awetsuit 12 months a year here in NJ. So here is how I do it

4/3 Hyperflex AMP (cut w/arms upVERY IMPORTANT IN A SUP SUIT) Until the  water gets into the high 40F I use lycra (Victory Koredry) under my suit. Now the water is 46F I use a Fleece under garment Although it makes the suit a bit tighter (a problem with folks my size) the fleece (and water) improve the mobility. Also I change my suit out every 2yrs (lighter suits) and no more than 3 yrs on my 4/3. Stretched out or thread bare suits just don't work Also selling these suits is a serious disservice to the end user So I throw them out...not tomention more sanitary
I must admit I stay out of the surf when the water temp gets into the mid 30F and below...It's just not fun

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 08:32:33 AM »
I'm a little farther north in NH, and I use an XCEL 4/3 OS Rear Zip wetsuit throughout the winter, mainly because it's such a pain getting in and out of anything thicker or front zip. I add some layers in the colder months, including a NeoSport 5/3 hooded vest on the outside, polyolefin shorts, and if it's really chilly, a lavacore vest underneath. With 7mm boots + 1 mm socks and some thin maverick gloves, I'm warm enough for a couple hours on the coldest days I've been out (below freezing temp/wind chill and water temps in the 30s).

Sometimes I'll wear a drysuit instead, but that's really for when I don't feel like changing outside after a session, or expect to remain in the suit for a while afterwards, like when shuttling around after a downwinder. The layered wetsuit described above usually feels just as warm on/in the water.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »
5 4 3 ready to go. 6 5 4 is for when the water goes into the 30's. Wetsuit quiver important if you hate thick rubber, but are a skinny olde fahrte who gets cold!

Water always warmer in RI! Lovely this time of year. 50 ish!!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »
Let's see.... it's only mid December.

32* now
13* tonight with 60-70 mph gusts
sucks if the power goes out tonight!

high of 22* tomorrow
10 feet at 9 seconds with 20 mph offshores.

so, yeah... you'll probably need some sort of wetsuit  :)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »
All helpful Gent's!  I recall back in March there was a day I went out and it was 40 degree air and about the same water and I got 2 hours in before getting chilly a little in my 4/3 (plus hooded vest and my Patagonia impact vest) - damn that's at least a 5/4 or even 6/5 in the torso.  Of course the 4/3 was brand spanking new (O'Neil Heat).

JimK:  I think when the water dips low 40s and below I'm heading south for a week or so.....Cocoa Beach looks to be a nice landing spot for a few days of telework and dawn patrol sessions.  I went down there this past March for about 5 days, however, and watched the wind scream day after day...gotta remember to bring the guitar next time.

Stiff-Man:  That's hard core!!!!  Like Biggie says, the waters always a bit warmer in Lil'Rhody as compared to the Cape and points north.  Thank goodness!

And Creek, Thanks for the chuckle!   ;D ;D   Pretty funny!!!   ;D ;D
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »
When Pono's geezer foil is ready for alpha test..We got beeg fellas and leetle fellas ready for Winter Testing. Stony will want to DW the thing never to return so he would have to go last.. ;D  ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »
Wait Biggie, PB is bringing the G-Foil to the east coast?  I want in!

Oh yea, w/respect to the topic, until last year, 3/2 and 4/3 got me through 12 mos at the JS.  Last winter I added a 5/4/3.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 05:24:02 AM »
Here's Creek...."yeah, might be time to think about a rash guard"

;D
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »
Supreme 4/3/2 with a Neosport 5/3 hooded vest, 7mm boots, 2mm gloves gets me through just about everything. I also carry 2 gals of HOT water with me.....drink a quart or so before heading out and pour another into my suit before going in the water. Get a little cold...take a short break, drink and pour more water. The hot water extends the session and hour or so I'd guess. I save a gal for rinsing off after. Feels awesome stripping off your suit when it 20 degrees out and pouring hot water over my head.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 07:51:43 AM »
last week was my first switch to the hooded 5/4/3 from the no hood 3/2 here in Monmouth Co NJ

I probably stayed in the 3/2 a few weeks longer than I should have.  All my prone buddies were already in 5's, and

mcwop

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »
When cold in RI, you should eat a box of bakery pizza before going out. Now that I am in Maryland, still using a spring setup, and have a 3/2 that just came in. Should not need much more. Cold.is breaking tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 09:03:22 AM »
Don't shoot me guys, but I'm thinking of adding a hooded vest for when it's colder here (really just when wind is up in SoCal) I am assuming I'll put it under but I see someone mentioned it over the suit. Anyone else do that? I know the hood would flush a bit but you could buy a bigger size and not have to stretch your main suit so much. How does that work?

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 09:18:27 AM »
I never buy a full suit with an attached hood, because I like the option wearing a hooded vest under the suit.

My hood was on a fairly thick full sleeve rash guard, but I cut the sleeves off to make it easier to put on.
The thick rashguard vest adds a considerable amount of warmth to my full suit, by adding a barrier between the suit and me.
It holds the water, warmed up by my body, around my core.... that plus the fleece chest and back panels keep me toasty.

Then I also have the option of wearing the same wetsuit when it's warmer, with no hood.

By wearing the hooded rashie under my suit, I am able to use my 4/3 all winter, in New England.
I have a 5 mil suit, but have only worn it 5 times in 3 years.... when it gets near zero.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard