Author Topic: Malolo Foil  (Read 3331 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Malolo Foil
« on: December 15, 2016, 12:33:03 AM »
Got to take a look at the malolo foil from naish in the zu store in Melbourne today. First impression was damm it is heavy and i mean like to hands to pick it up type heavy! I'm sure its not to much of a issue in the water but on land it is definitely going to be a bit of a weight. The board is 28" wide and is quite different to maliko, i think 28 wide is a bit of a mistake as from the board i foil i built the foil acts like a keel and my board at even 24 wide felt super stable. At the moment they are only doing foil and board together which comes in at something over $5000aus.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Malolo Foil
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:29:10 AM »
This is just a marketing thing really, isn't it? Like that Laird Puma board from a while back. I think Naish just want to be the first to bring a SUP foil to market. Surely they are going to sell so few that these are probably loss leaders? The locations, conditions, and paddlers where they make sense are going to be few and far between. Most people who could afford one are probably too old to use it effectively. But maybe that's why it's 28" wide! And most people who are willing to spend big dough on boards do it because they are driven to do well in races. That motivation isn't going to apply here. So, I can see these sitting in the games room of rich playboys unused.

I'm very happy to be wrong, however. There is a break near me which would be perfect for it - about 6 times a year. So it would be interesting to try it. But at 5k?....

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 02:30:16 AM »
i think the foils will sell however I'm not sure people will spend that much straight out the gate on a specific board for one i see a lot more converting old surf and race boards and i believe they said all stock is sold out as it was pre order for the naish and next lot of foils is not due till june but the wait of the naish has made it enough of a negative to not really want to purchase one and will carry on waiting for my maliko go foil and maybe build a new one myself in the mean time.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 03:21:49 AM »
Naish aren't forcing this on anyone or suggesting we all need one.. but good on them for making it available to those who'd really want one..

I can see a few local kite'ers that already have their foiling skills down pat that would be keen to give it a go.. It looks like hard work to me and pretty dangerous in the surf but we have plenty of long rolling waves that it just might work well on..

Naish say their foils are pretty much entry level stuff that is aimed at being as easy and affordable as they can make it..

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 04:43:55 AM »
This is just a marketing thing really, isn't it? Like that Laird Puma board from a while back. I think Naish just want to be the first to bring a SUP foil to market. Surely they are going to sell so few that these are probably loss leaders? The locations, conditions, and paddlers where they make sense are going to be few and far between. Most people who could afford one are probably too old to use it effectively. But maybe that's why it's 28" wide! And most people who are willing to spend big dough on boards do it because they are driven to do well in races. That motivation isn't going to apply here. So, I can see these sitting in the games room of rich playboys unused.

I'm very happy to be wrong, however. There is a break near me which would be perfect for it - about 6 times a year. So it would be interesting to try it. But at 5k?....

The depreciation from anyone buying this is going to be huge......

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 07:17:51 AM »
Yep. 5000 AUD is £3000 GBP, or $3700 USD. The moment you took it out of the showroom you'd struggle to get £1k GBP for it used in the UK. So unless you have got money to burn you'd better be sure that you are going to get to use it a lot.

But I'm pleased that Naish have taken this initiative anyway. It's nice to have new options, even if I can't afford them.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM