Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis Rail  (Read 34192 times)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis Rail
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2016, 04:56:06 AM »
Eagle:  have you tried a tracker on your Dom?  If so, I bet you didn't like the combo.  My wife's Stiletto came with a small tracker, and right from the first time out in cross chop it proved problematic.  More so when dealing with the ever present wakeboard boat wakes..  The combo of the displacement nose and the tracker caused a lot of hammock swinging.  Solution was a much smaller area semi dolphin shape - in this case I got a VMG Mako 37.   
Anyways, it just goes to prove that there is no way that a single fin style can be matched with any style board, little own a particular paddling environment.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2016, 06:18:46 AM »
^yes, we do need a killer DW board from Sunova. Not a dugout please, nice clean surfboard inspired design.
I would love to see a surf inspired DW board from Sunova.

How about the Search? Did anybody ride it ? Or at least seen it?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2016, 06:43:16 AM »
I believe we got peeps here with a SunovaSearch in their quiver. They just need to amp up and go ride some wind waves to let us know how it feels. I'm fairly confident it puddles along just fine on the flats and wussy waves.

I know it can be nicely windy there.
 ;)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2016, 08:47:24 AM »

I demoed the Search 14 x 30 last winter and was really disappointed. Super stable, but it felt like a barge and really stuck to the water. Turning while paddling was very difficult, to the point that I would walk way back to pop the front half out of the water when making any change in direction. Slow to accelerate when paddling and didn't release at all in short period downbreeze bumps that a Bullet V2 would have eaten up.  It caught some small waves to surf easily enough, but was such a pain to turn to catch a wave that it wasn't a ton of fun for that either.

Maybe it really shines in big downwind conditions, where its tremendous stability is an asset, and big, powerful wind and waves can overcome its considerable inertia, though I don't imagine it could be so much better than other pure downwind boards in those conditions to offset its awfulness in smaller stuff. Too bad, because I love my Sunova Speeed and had high hopes for this board.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2016, 09:16:04 AM »
muskoka - the JL Tracker cannot fit in my Dom fin box.  But have used the Gladiator Elite in there.  When I first started paddling - my Dom came with the Elite.  It was a popular combo at the time and really helped me starting out as my balance was a problem on that board with the deep vee.  Now I plop in my SB Race 24 narrow dolphin or short SIC 7.0.  Those fins free up the tail so the board can surf across waves without broaching.  As my balance and technique slowly improved - my fin choice evolved to smaller and smaller.  I now use a large tracking fin as a learning tool.  Very hard to DW -> which forces you to improve your technique to stay dry.  Trick is to always stay ahead of the waves.  So kinda gone full circle.

"The fin makes a huge difference and it makes me wonder why the Bark Dominator didn’t come with that fin in the first place."

https://www.supgladiator.com/racefins/

http://www.paddlesurfnorthwest.com/2012/01/race-fins.html
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2016, 02:39:26 PM »
Thanks for the review, Board Stiff. (And sorry guys for hacking the JLR thread)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2016, 02:42:59 PM »

The Search 14 is not a downwind board. It's incredibly slow for a 14 footer and sticks to the water like glue. Paddling against a 6 inch chop will almost stop it in it's tracks. Like Board Stiff said, it's a bitch to turn while paddling.

The Search 14 is a very stable board for someone who isn't in a hurry. It's a flatwater board best suited for small lakes and protected coves. Upwind and/or sidewind situations should be avoided because the board doesn't deal with chop well and you might not make it back to where you launched.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:09:55 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2019, 06:59:40 AM »
Reviving another older thread because an earlier question was never really answered on the rail in the surf.

Has anyone been able to compare the M-14 and the Rail in the Surf?   Seems like the Rail is a better flatwater/touring board and downwinder in moderate conditions (Not massive waves)  Flatter rocker, easiest glide.

Seems these are back in stock at JL and trying to decide between the Rail and M-14 in the 28 width.  Use would be touring in some chop. (I bought a cheap displacement hull board and its a nightmare in chop) with some ankle to knee waves and light upwind/downwind.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »
I would like to hear more about surfing the Rail as well. It's such a nice looking shape. I would go with the 28" also.

Interesting that the nose is Vee to double concave similar to the TC Outer Reef.

$1200 + $150 shipping is very tempting. I wish I could afford another board.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »
Some Rail 28" pics I took
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:09:58 PM by burchas »
in progress...

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2019, 02:07:04 PM »
Super helpful Burchas!  Thanks for the pictures.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »
It's a very capable board and it will handle everything you mentioned.
in progress...

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2019, 03:00:06 PM »
nice board indeed and almost bought a rail for dw/surf but I get the feeling the M14 surf's better and the rail is faster.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal