Author Topic: The Chronic Effects of Stand Up Paddle Boarding: A case study  (Read 10469 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Chronic Effects of Stand Up Paddle Boarding: A case study
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
Interesting. But it would have been better if they had contrasted SUP with some other sport that is currently recommended such as running, gym work, cycling etc. Most of these effects would happen if any sedentary person stopped being sedentary regardless of what the activity was. But thing that strikes me about SUP is that sporting injuries seem to be less common than for some other sports, and that people will persevere longer at it. And so these might be two good reasons to recommend SUP over other some other physical activities.

I lost 35lbs in my first year of SUP.

The SUP aspect is irrelevant and this should merely be filed in the 'any exercise is good for those who currently aren't doing any' file.
Well, you don't know that it's irrelevant. This report just doesn't speak to it.

I don't think its a huge leap in expectations.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
You are   a tough   crowd .  I think   you   should   look   up   the   definition   of   case study .
If I were reviewing this for a journal, I'd be asking whether the case study approach added value when in this context. They are typically better for extremely niche or hard to acquire problems/subjects - Not when someone hasn't obtained a decent sample size for a problem and metrics not really suited for a case study approach. They are typically more robust when the study is also almost exclusively qualitative so you can get the depth in.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 11:27:36 AM »
Interesting. But it would have been better if they had contrasted SUP with some other sport that is currently recommended such as running, gym work, cycling etc. Most of these effects would happen if any sedentary person stopped being sedentary regardless of what the activity was. But thing that strikes me about SUP is that sporting injuries seem to be less common than for some other sports, and that people will persevere longer at it. And so these might be two good reasons to recommend SUP over other some other physical activities.

I lost 35lbs in my first year of SUP.

The SUP aspect is irrelevant and this should merely be filed in the 'any exercise is good for those who currently aren't doing any' file.
Well, you don't know that it's irrelevant. This report just doesn't speak to it.

I don't think its a huge leap in expectations. I think it would have been much better if they had done as per your suggestion and cross linked to other sports if they couldn't get a decent sample size.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »
I didn't say case studies are useless...I said a study with just two people for this is silly...and it is for this to get any meaningful conclusion.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 12:52:21 PM »
a previous 6-week study utilising SUP as an intervention were tracked

Thankfully this was not a US study.  Not my (US) tax dollars this time... ;D

supthecreek

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 01:11:07 PM »
The Chronic Effects of Stand Up Paddle Boarding: A case study

KEY word = Chronic:
adjective
(of an illness) persisting for a long time or constantly recurring.
"chronic bronchitis"
synonyms:   persistent, long-standing, long-term; More
(of a person) having an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring.
"a chronic asthmatic"
(of a problem) long-lasting and difficult to eradicate.
"the school suffers from chronic overcrowding"
synonyms:   constant, continuing, ceaseless, unabating, unending, persistent, long-lasting.

Funny word to use for a serious study.... but I'll take this study as totally gospel  :)
whereas ANY exercise that gets you off the couch is beneficial.... no exercise gets me off the couch.
Passion for all things SUP does throw me into exercise mode... and I lack the ability to stop....
therefore it falls in the "chronic" catagory.... persisting for a long time and constantly recurring.

My "one man study" concurs with the "1 man, 1 woman study".... do I get a cookie? :)

or a lucrative, retroactive grant?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
He is real!

Ho, Ho, Ho

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 01:29:09 PM »
I didn't say case studies are useless...I said a study with just two people for this is silly...and it is for this to get any meaningful conclusion.

Well I have a friend who tried and was happy. I saw him smiling. So that's 3 now.

Oh wait, I'm happy and I paddle. Is that 4 people now even if I drink beer after?

There. We just doubled the study.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
But thing that strikes me about SUP is that sporting injuries seem to be less common than for some other sports [...] .

Sup supplanted  ::) motorcycles in my life... partially a conscious choice, as a forced dismount from a bike has more dire consequences than a dismount from a board... including the risk of long term residual health consequences... and while motorcycles are fun as hell,  no exercise to speak of.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
I don't do a lot of other stuff anymore....falling hurts in most sports and can be deadly in some...I fall a lot..... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »
Before my wife and I first tried paddleboarding,  I thought it looked pretty stupid. BUT,  then after trying it in Morro Bay, CA I got hooked. It was more comfortable for me than kayaking and I could see things better. Then I discovered that it was a much better workout than kayaking. We both lost 30 lbs during the first year and I cut my cholesterol numbers in half !!  (my doctor could not believe it...thought maybe I had started taking a statin without telling him :)......I'm 65 and feel that I really am in better shape now than I have EVER been in. It has improved my wife's health as well. She is not as stoked about it as I am,  but when conditions are right she'll go with me and her stroke and speed are improving such that I can still get a good workout. I really hope this is something we can continue to enjoy together for many years to come. 
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 03:32:09 PM »
The Chronic Effects of Stand Up Paddle Boarding: A case study

KEY word = Chronic:
adjective
(of an illness) persisting for a long time or constantly recurring.
"chronic bronchitis"
synonyms:   persistent, long-standing, long-term; More
(of a person) having an illness persisting for a long time or constantly recurring.
"a chronic asthmatic"
(of a problem) long-lasting and difficult to eradicate.
"the school suffers from chronic overcrowding"
synonyms:   constant, continuing, ceaseless, unabating, unending, persistent, long-lasting.

Funny word to use for a serious study.... but I'll take this study as totally gospel  :)
whereas ANY exercise that gets you off the couch is beneficial.... no exercise gets me off the couch.
Passion for all things SUP does throw me into exercise mode... and I lack the ability to stop....
therefore it falls in the "chronic" catagory.... persisting for a long time and constantly recurring.

My "one man study" concurs with the "1 man, 1 woman study".... do I get a cookie? :)

or a lucrative, retroactive grant?

Look at you, Creek!  What an awesome transformation.  You are going to live a longer and happier life....but, no, you don't get a cookie. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
I am 58 YO and I feel great after 5 years of paddling and love it.  I fitness paddle and go as hard as my aerobics will let me for an hour.  Heartrate gets to 170 and can be above 150 for an hour.  I read lots of posts here and have seen videos with HR that show this is not uncommon for paddlers going for it.

On my last physical my Doc says my EKG has changed in the last 2 years.  I need to see a cardiologist.
WTF!   I nervously go.  The nurse asks me if I am a runner.  ha. 

I was worried the Doctor would tell me to let off, but instead she said it was something else, and to keep going hard.  She laughed at me about thinking my paddling could have caused it. We are going to monitor it in the long term.

Keep paddling hard!  YES!!

ed

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 08:24:52 AM »
My nephew is a runner. He runs the Boston Marathon every year and has done 30 1/2 marathons in the last two years. He's also been volunteering to help with the CCBC the last 5 years or so. Despite being prone to seasickness he's been on the boats helping paddlers. He had the winning bid for a 14' Coreban Alpha we auctioned 4 years ago. After last years CCBC he told me he's going to join us for the 10th anniversary despite having a phobia about the open ocean. He's been training hard already....he knows he has a long way to go to be prepared. Long story short....yesterday at the family Christmas party he told me he's amazed at how good he feels. His shoulders arms and core are all stronger. He feels better, and he says the leg work (hips, knees, ankles) that SUP brings has made him a better skiier. He said he feels far more fluid on the mountain.
Bob

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 06:13:00 AM »
The Zone is a "case study" for the long term, positive effects of Stand Up Paddle Boarding  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal