Author Topic: Gloves or Mits  (Read 2957 times)

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Gloves or Mits
« on: November 26, 2016, 04:47:55 AM »
Hi, Winter is well and truly here.  Looking for new 5mm Gloves for sup-surfing.

Some manufacturers are also doing Mits.

Some Mits have an index finger, others are just a thumb and the main part.   Anyone tried either, could you grip the paddle ok?  Thanks.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Gloves or Mits
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 05:01:41 AM »
Although I don't sup in the winter (because I don't like cold water), I have used mittens and gloves to shovel snow when I lived in upstate New York as a kid with my parents. When I shoveled snow off the driveway, I preferred 5 finger gloves over the thumb finger mittens. It made controlling the shovel easier for me. I imagine this would apply to a sup paddle as well. If I had to sup surf in the winter with a dry suit and gloves, I would cover my hands with a 5 finger glove.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 05:20:22 AM »
Gloves have a better dexterity than the three finger mitts, but, in my experience, the best, warmest glove with enough dexterity is the NP GBS 3 finger mitt.  I've used them at 19F in a stiff wind, for hours of surf, and found them good.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:04:22 AM »

I'm in NH. Winter doesn't arrive here for another month. November and December are warm compared to Jan and Feb.

Gloves are always better for gripping the paddle. The only reason to wear mitts is if you need the extra warmth.

Everyone is different. Some people can go all winter wearing gloves, even when it's well below freezing. While others like myself need to wear mitts as soon as it gets below 50 degrees. Most people are somewhere in between these two extremes.

Try gloves first. If they work then you're fine.

I have 3mm gloves, 5mm 3-finger mitts and 7mm full mitts which cover just about every temperature situation. All are Xcel Dryloc. Those NP GBS 3-finger mitts that Jarvis mentioned with the pre-bent fingers look pretty nice.

I am fairly comfortable gripping the paddle with mitts but people with short fingers may have difficulty. Having the index finger helps a lot for grip but being separated from the others, it may get cold. Same goes for the thumb.

Wetsuit thickness will also affect how warm your hands will be. If your core cools down, your hands and feet will be the first thing that gets cold.

One way to help your hands and feet start off warm is to pour warm/hot water in your boots and gloves. While your at it, you can also pour some down your neck. A plastic jug of hot water will stay warm for an hour or more while you drive to where you are going, especially if wrapped in a towel.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:48:34 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 07:45:23 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.  Current gloves are 3mm going to step up to 5 and see how that goes.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 07:45:59 AM »
I regularly surf with air in the teens and strong winds.
Experimentation has led me to 3 mil, 5 finger gloves, with fleece lining (key) in even the coldest weather (for me)
Warm, comfortable and great for paddle handling.

When trying on gloves or mitts... take your paddle and some bottled water into the store.
Wet the shaft and make sure the gloves have proper grip when wet!

I always tear out the stooopid "water dam" in the gloves. They are impossible to get on and off with that squeeze point at the wrist. I don't notice ANY difference in warmth.... and they slip on like butter.

Note:
NO wetsuit gloves keep me warm when flat-water paddling in wind and low temps.
I finally discovered ski gloves, with great palm grips. Hands are toasty in all weather and great for paddle handling.
BUT.... after they get wet... your hands will freeze.... so I always carry a back-up set of wetsuit gloves on the deck.
If you are a few miles from the car and fall in.... the the wetsuit gloves will save your hands.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 09:01:25 AM »
Yes. 3mil gloves with welded seams and if necessary use a thin fleece glove underneath. It has to be DAMN cold before you need that though, unless you have circulation problems. If you are going that route then try on the gloves with the fleece gloves on, or consider going up a size. Then use the Velcro wraps that kite surfers use to stop "elephant legs" in their wetsuit, wrapped around you wrists to ensure that water does not get into your gloves. Some sweat will leak in there from your wetsuit but there's not much you can do about that, and it's warm anyway.

The key is to get gloves that DON'T LEAK. Buy ones that surfers use, not sailors, kite surfers etc. They have to be blind stitched, taped (in places), and have a fluid seam weld on the outside. The Xcel ones are good. Their Drylock ones are pretty hard to get on and off but they do work well. 3mm Xcels do me in temps close to zero and winds of 40 knots, especially with under gloves which I only really use if I'm going to be putting my hands in snow or frozen inland waters. Mitts are warm but quite disabling.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
If you try to flatwater paddle with the mitts that have your index finger separate you will regret it in serious wind chill conditions.

I use snowboard five finger gloves gortex lined with 2 ml summer gloves in lieu of the felt liners. If, or in fact, when I go swimming 🏊 that keeps my hands from getting frosbite.

Sup surfing 🏄 in the winter much less dangerous. I use fat little five finger 7 ml gloves sometimes, and mitts sometimes.

Winter water here 32-34 F. Wind chill is a serious consideration.

Don't be stupid. Dressing with the "I won't fall" while I am flatwater paddling is idiotic IMHO.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 11:38:22 AM »
Lot's of good info above. Lot's of factors to consider. I surf all winter in southern New England. Water gets down to the mid to upper 30's (F) and the air is usually the same. I won't go out in wind in those conditions so wind chill is not a factor. For me, one of the most important factors is having pre-curved fingers. My hands will get both cold AND tired fighting the stretch of the rubber in a "straight" fingered glove while trying to grip a paddle. Surf gloves are really not designed for that. I come from a kayak background so I am used to using curved paddling gloves which I think work best for a SUP paddle. I have been having great success using these 3.5mm pre-curved paddling gloves from NRS http://www.nrs.com/product/2441/nrs-natural-gloves-closeout
Like mentioned above, I also always pour hot water in them before I go out. Have fun
Bunch of old shit

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 01:25:25 PM »
In Creeks pics he had "gave these away" over a pair of 3 finger 5mil mitts and I'm the lucky guy who he gave them to and I use them all winter, they are warm and work well.

Thanks Rick !!

BTW I have regular five finger gloves (7mil) and my fingers get cold but I can feel the padddle much better.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM