Author Topic: Hand Tying Leashed DIY?  (Read 2610 times)

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Hand Tying Leashed DIY?
« on: November 19, 2016, 09:16:16 PM »
So, I have a bunch of calf and ankle leashes that I really hate, I'm super annoyed when I jump up on my board and have the leash wrapped around my leg and I want to change them out to waist leases. But, what knot is the proper one to use/ how do I properly tie the tube to the to the end line? I have tons of of end line and heat shrink, but how do the experts tie the two together to make a clean and strong joint? I've searched and searched, but this seems to be a bit of a secret black art that no one wants to share.
I can easily try different knots, but there really has to be a "right" way to do it since guys have been doing this for over 40 years.
Help a brotha' out.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hand Tying Leashed DIY?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:03:43 PM »
No need to tie or change anything.. Just put the ankle/knee cuff around/through some kind of belt.. It's as easy as that..  8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 10:53:35 PM »
Beasho experimented with this a lot. If you're using the leashes for flatwater or smaller surf, then DJ's approach is fine, if it's bigger surf then you need more strength. I wrap the leash cord around a small stainless thimble that is covered on the top curve to keep the urethane from jumping off, then I use alternating wraps with overhand knots to secure the leash cord. Beasho uses a crimped wire. I tried that and didn't like it. For swivels I use stainless ball bearing fishing swivels for big fish -- rated to 600 pounds.

Find Beashos thread here on the zone. Lots of good information.

Oh, and I use 9mm urethane. Your existing leashes are probably nowhere near that thick. Anything like double overhead will put a much bigger strain on the gear than an ankle leash, where you can streamline yourself. a waist leash makes you into a Rappala. You pop to the surface, but the strain on all the compnents is probably double what an ankle leash has to endure.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 10:57:30 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 05:37:20 AM »
One paddler in Europe is selling such a belt but its crazy money to surrender for something similar which you can find easily on eBay. But before you decide on it, I'd advise its use limited for flatwater and maybe light surf and ONLY with coiled leash. As what PonoBill said, while it is effective for keeping you un-entangled, it could be dangerous if worn for the wrong event due to the extra tension coming straight fm full body weight. You'd also want to loop that standard ankle/calf leash loop to the belt in such a way that it doesn't slip away when you release the belt. Or you go home with just a belt and hopefully paddle-in-hand. http://bit.ly/BHinner
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 05:51:20 AM »

I almost bought one of those duty belts mentioned above but wasn't sure I could trust the buckle. I like Velcro better.

So I went with the Sup-position belt. I mostly use it on overhead days to prevent being dragged by my leg and not being able to breath. It works great. I haven't noticed any more strain on the leash. If anything it seems like less.

http://oar-on.com/product/leash-belt/

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:02:15 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »
OK, thanks for the leads, I'd searched before, but the old thread didn't come up. HERE is Beasho's old thread for posterity.

I think I'll try the nail knot with spectra line. Maybe it'll move enough to not permapinch the urethane.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »
Badger, what is the purpose for the steel D ring in the Sup position belt?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »
Badger, what is the purpose for the steel D ring in the Sup position belt?

I don't know. You'll have to ask Ralph.

I don't think it serves any purpose. Maybe it was already on there when he had them made up and he decided to leave it on.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »
I think  got this idea from Pono, anyway it works great. Get one of your old leashes and remove the rail saver. This can be done with a fin key. Replace the knee/ankle cuff with the rail saver so you have one on both ends.  The rail save fits perfectl on my belt, which is an old diving weight belt.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »
Here is a link to the thread I started on "A Better Leash Design"

I am going on 4 years with this design and I have only had my leash design fail ONCE. 

This was a break in the middle of a 2+ year old leash so the TERMINALS HAVE NEVER FAILED.

I am currently using metal Hog Clips, thanks to Wetstuff, to secure the material around the thimble.  I was a bit wary at first using my own theoretical design but am happy to report that the theory for leashes worked (better than my current efforts with fins I might add  :o

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,18684.msg235427.html#msg235427

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 12:55:18 PM »
For big . . . really big waves I am now a fan of using double 'regular' heavy leashes e.g. 2 X 7mm cord vs. the 9 mm heavy duty single leash I use on everything up to 15 foot faces.

The double leash ends up looking a bit clunky but I believe I have driven the weak link to the leash plug, or maybe the board just breaks. 

The current design is shown below.  Plastic thimble, 500 lbs stainless fishing swivel, Stainless S hook and stainless hog clip.  The cool thing is that you can just keep reusing all the parts (except for the hog clip) when building a new leash. 

Unbreakable, customize-able, recyclable and in the long run cheaper.  What's not to like  8)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 01:11:42 PM by Beasho »

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »
Great thread, thanks. Although I'm not a fan of hard parts on leashes in general. I think I can replicate most of the advantages of the thimble and hog ring with Spectra line and creative knotwork. I also don't want to drive the failure point to my leash plug. Personally I'd much rather snap a leash and pick up my board later rather than rip the plug out. Of course, I also call it a day when the waves exceed double overhead.  :o So the likelihood of snapping a single 9mm seems pretty remote. We'll see, this winter when we start getting the good swells.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal