Author Topic: RED 2017 14'x25" Eilte racing machine!  (Read 16288 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
RED 2017 14'x25" Eilte racing machine!
« on: October 31, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
With the 2017 14’x25” Elite, Red Paddle Co really took it up a notch! The good old RSS (Rocker stiffening system) is now joined by the all new FFC (forward flex control)  to make up one hell of a stiff board! This model takes the rounded rail/bottom one step farther. I can’t stress enough how rounded it is (see attached images), that, along with the new pintail, translates to a very fast, alas, very tippy board.

After few rides I still can’t decide which is it, faster or tippier. According to some specs I’ve read, this board has the volume of 340 litters, which makes it sit very high on the water with my average weight of 175lbr.

Riding with the usual crew on some usual rides made it very clear that this board is super fast. The guys with the Starboard All-Star 25 had hard time keeping up, especially on the bumps where this board really takes off, that is of course until it sends you swimming. I switched with some people who ride a 24” or 25” boards, non wanted to stay on more than a couple of minutes, “too much leg work” they say.

I think this board RED just killed off-shore’s “will it downwind” series. Sorry off-shore. :'(

Bottom line, this board is a pure flat-water machine and it will give any hard board run for its money. I don’t have any speed tests results yet since I have no pure flat water lake in my vicinity but I can tell that I did register  a 7mph once in slack water, with no obvious current or wind assist. This will have to be verified with some true testing so don’t take my word for it.

If however, you’re like me and want to take it to rougher conditions, this board is a great workout machine that will keep your legs engaged at ALL TIMES. Hey RED here is a slogan for you “The Cool Balance Tool™”.

It’s a while now that I’m not getting good leg workouts on my SUPs, worse, with my current 27” and 26” boards it became apparent that it is way to easy to wander-off and just go to touring mode. This board changed that and now I’m back to feeling my legs after a 2-3 hour session. I bought it specifically for that reason so I’ll be more than ready for my upcoming 24” all-water board.

Another fun fact about this board, compared to my RED 2015 Elite, I’m schlepping 10-12LBR less weight. And the difference is felt both on and off the the water. I had this board alone at about 21LBR yet still feels durable as the old one. Time will tell.

The board has 4 really comfortable well placed handles that I’m actually using as a tie-down and leash plugs for the leash and the dry bag with all the equipment in it (pump, carry bag etc) Deck pad is also very comfortable and grippy.

Red did a good thing changing the fin box this year, they say it’s an 8” us box, but don’t expect to put a fin with an 8” base in it, 7.75” is what will fit in. Still, the box is improved over last 2 years models and can accept many standard fins.

This year Red realized that they have to up their fin game so They are offering Larry Allison fins as an up-sellll to their existing inadequate fin. If you are going to buy a fin specifically for this board (which you’ll probably need), you better off buying a click-it fin for a 3 second installation and removal.

Make sure to buy Larry Allison's Click-it for inflatables that has a dual lock safety pin for these specific boxes. Either Dolphin pivot fin or the more aggressive dolphin keel fin will do. For pure flat-water you can even go down to the 7’ stinger if you’re willing to give up some stability. Almost anything will be better than their stock fin. I would avoid other brands click-in fins as they do not include a safety pin and the flexible fin box walls will eventually loosen, leaving you at risk of losing your fin.

The Red Titan Pump is, as with previous models, very helpful. if I’m diligent enough with my pumping, I could get it pumped to 22PSI ( which seems to be the recommended  pressure ) in 5 minutes. Add 3-4 minutes to the setup if installing the RSS and the FFC. Another minute for the fin. Realistically, don’t expect to be on the water in under 15 minutes and longer on the cold days when Impaired by thick gloves.

The boards carrying bag is a good comfortable bag to take with you when traveling, though It’s not the bag I use for the day to day, for that I have a very lightweight mesh bag that doesn’t absorb water and doesn’t require constant cleaning.

I can’t find bad things to say about that board other than its price tag, at $1799 is seems RED is following the bad trend in this industry to jack-up prices out of the reach of many people who do want to race.

Good thing we have Julian of Green Water sports to give us zoner discounts and first class customer service. Julian was able to score me the this board 1 month before my contact at RED North America was able to!

Pros:
  • Fast, really fast board! Catches every bump
  • Dual stiffening systems (RSS & FFC)
  • Lightweight ( especially  whencompared to previous  models)
  • Good ergonomics (handles, deck pad, velcro attachments for RSS battens)
  • Better fin box. can accommodate many current fins
  • Great Titan pump (now comes with several adapters for other applications)
  • Great Quality bag and accessories

Cons:
  • Very Tippy in anything other than flat water (you’ll be rolling over even on your knees)
  • Stock fin is a joke
  • Overpriced
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: RED 2017 14'x25" Eilte racing machine!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 12:44:08 PM »
Great review, thanks.

I guess this is more an exercise in iSUP marketing than an attempt to actually sell many since it will be too tippy for most. I wonder if it would really have been much slower with a wider tail - it might have made tracking and stability so much better that it would have compensated in the real world for any theoretical loss of speed. But as I say, to have created an iSUP that can genuinely compete with many hard boards may be the greater aim - as an attempt to remove the iSUP stigma.

Very interesting indeed.

I'm hoping someone comes up with a 3-piece hard boards in a large but air-friendly suitcase.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »
Clearly RedPaddle went for a racing steed. They were fast before, now even faster.

Thanks for the review. Let us know your progression in becoming comfortable on it.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:33:51 PM »
Hi burchas,

Great write up. Glad you're enjoying the challenge and you'll find your balance in no time I'm sure. This is Red's out and out racing board, their halo board. The 2016 14' Elite is now the 14' Race so there is still a board for the more touring and leisure inclined paddle.

https://greenwatersports.com/8126/red-paddle-co-2017-stand-up-paddle-board-product-guide

The fins: I have some Larry Allison fins waiting for me back at the warehouse that I'll check out on Wednesday. The stock fin is a nice shape but now that so many other models come with click in FCS 2 Connect fins, seems like it could have had a nicer fin, or at least a tool-less fin.

https://greenwatersports.com/8280/fcs-connect-sup-fins-fast-and-easy-to-use

In this first batch I've got 1x 14' Elite left, but plenty of the others. Get in touch for a Zoner deal.

Julian
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:39:27 PM by Green Water Sports »
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 08:55:34 AM »
Very interesting indeed.

I'm going to make it a little more interesting. I'm waiting for a ventral
fin kit to be installed on this board. I'll probably have it in a month or so.

That should make a difference both in average speed and stability
based on my experience with my 4 fin SIC.

I'm hoping someone comes up with a 3-piece hard boards in a large but air-friendly suitcase.

Take a look at the RUM RUNNER 12.5:
http://kayaks.point65.com/en/category/5540

It's probably not what you had in mind but at least there is something out there the can check some boxes.

My first choice for my custom 2 piece SIC was actually to have it in
3 pieces, based on the RUM RUNNER 12.5. Mark's logic took me off this idea to the 2 piece board. I'm glad he did.

A hardcore paddler like you A10, what would you do with a 3 piece board?
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »
Burchas - I'd fly to Maui, Melbourne, Cape Town etc and join the crews there on their downwinders :)

Maybe I'd stop off and see Offshore in HK along the way...

I don't fancy the Maliko run on an iSUP, or Cape Town in 40 knots on one. Red Paddle have sure raised the bar here for flat water racing iSUPs but it would take a lot of changes in the technology before I'd use one for serious downwinding, especially unsupported.

Traveling to downwind has currently got to be the biggest logistic hurdle there is for SUP. A 14fter in a suitcase could change all that.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »
Very interesting indeed.

I'm going to make it a little more interesting. I'm waiting for a ventral
fin kit to be installed on this board. I'll probably have it in a month or so.

Cool!

Make sure you measure twice before drilling. You don't want to mess up a nice new board.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 02:54:11 PM »
Cool!

Make sure you measure twice before drilling. You don't want to mess up a nice new board.

Good advice yugi, I'll measure twice, maybe even 3 times, but I'll be very hesitant to drill into an iSup ;D I'll stick to glue (pun intended)

Burchas - I'd fly to Maui, Melbourne, Cape Town etc and join the crews there on their downwinders :)

A10, I Hope this is not what keeping you from going to all these places.
I could have easily taken my 2 piece board to Maui and Hood river this summer. It's just like taking 2 surf boards which is still allowed by at the airlines.

I opted not to since It was a lot easier and cheaper to rent boards there.
It also has the advantage to get different board every day so you get to match board to conditions or maybe try board you haven't tried before.

But if you are stuck on that idea, I can tell you that the 2 piece board is as good as a regular board. most people who tried it didn't even notice it's a 2 piece until I told them.

I covered just about every condition I would normally do with a regular board, my only reservation is taking it to the surf, but that's mostly because I'm a novice surfer and wouldn't be able to handle the board safely.

Plus, with all the schooling we got from you over time here, I think they would just give you the boards for free just to get some pointers. 8)
in progress...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 05:14:52 PM »

I think this board RED just killed off-shore’s “will it downwind” series. Sorry off-shore. :'(

Okay Burchas.. You laid the gauntlet down...  video coming soon...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:16:35 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »

I don't fancy the Maliko run on an iSUP, or Cape Town in 40 knots on one. Red Paddle have sure raised the bar here for flat water racing iSUPs but it would take a lot of changes in the technology before I'd use one for serious downwinding, especially unsupported.

Traveling to downwind has currently got to be the biggest logistic hurdle there is for SUP. A 14fter in a suitcase could change all that.

Area 10. You are welcome here anytime. Downwind season is upon us, so the earlier the better. Don't worry about travelling with a board. There's one Zoner here at least who has nearly as many boards as you :o
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »

Okay Burchas.. You laid the gauntlet down...  video coming soon...  ;D

Oh Man, you cracked me up ;D
can't wait to see that. You're Da Man.
in progress...

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 07:13:36 PM »
Thanks for the review Burchas. Very cool concept - an inflatable that's as fast as many hard boards in flat water and in the bumps! I think that would be a first. Love the 21lb weight also.

The round shape and pin tail remind me of my Ace - could be one reason why it catches bumps so well. I like your idea of taking it out in rough water. Let us know how you progress on it.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 08:09:09 AM »
The round shape and pin tail remind me of my Ace - could be one reason why it catches bumps so well.

I thought about it as well after seeing yours and off-shore's recent
posts. If only they could do dug-outs on inflatables... right?

Well now that off-shore has set out to do another "will it downwind"
with this board, maybe he could tell us how they compare.
in progress...

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 08:35:22 PM »
I think dug-out inflatables might happen  - something like the Sea Eagle kayak, where they turned two drop-stitched chambers on their sides to make a stiff, shaped(ish) hull.

shaped and designed better for sup, of course.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 09:00:23 PM »
Hmm...a dugout iSUP would likely be a real handful in side-winds. Plus, the big advantage of a dugout is that you can stand pretty much at water level. I'm not sure how you'd get the rigidity in the bottom of an iSUP to be able to do this? With a kayak the load is spread over a larger area in the cockpit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal