Author Topic: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.  (Read 43707 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:21:19 AM »
I've had my two Sunovas for over six months now. I still love them. They are as close to perfection as I could imagine. Except for one thing.

Now that it's getting cold, I'm back to wearing gloves and pretty soon it will be time for mitts. The LIFTSUP handle is impossible to use while wearing gloves or mitts.

It's a hassle even with bare hands. With a normal handle, you can easily find it by putting your hand in the general area and feeling around. With LIFTSUP, the hole is so small that you first have to find it visually, then insert your finger (in the correct way) to pull the handle out. Not easy to do while coming out of the surf after a session and getting hit by waves.

I strongly recommend that Sunova upgrade to a higher quality handle. Something like what Jimmy Lewis uses would be nice. Anything would be better than the LIFTSUP.

For those with Sunova boards who wear gloves or mitts, here is what you can do. It's still a hassle and it isn't easy to grab onto, but at least you will be able to get the handle out when you need to carry the board.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:03:59 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Suggestion for Sunova, get rid of the LIFTSUP handle.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 06:17:02 PM »
Gotta Sunova........absolutely love the handle........if its a windy day its so easy to hold the handle and let the board blow around a bit when you are walking along the beach  :)
Have you considered leaving one glove off while you carry the board and then put glove on when you enter the water?

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
been a pretty warm winter here........got some new gloves.........now its spring and the gloves are still rolling around on the floor of the car unused.
Maybe your surf situation only applies to two per cent of sunova users.......the rest of us are happy happy happy  :)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
I don't care for them either FWIW. Not just because of gloves.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 07:37:04 PM »
I'm no fan of the LiftSup type handles no matter what sup manufacturer equips their sup line with this handle as "standard". If I would ever order another sup from a sup manufacturer where this handle is comes as a standard feature, I'd custom order the board without this type of carrying handle.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
They bug me because I'm a lefty, and it always seems like the opening is on the wrong side for me.

That said, they are the best handles when not in use. I've gotten my toes stuck at some point surfing every other board I've owned. I love the idea of the SUP grip handle blue planet uses, but I know it would double the number of times I tweak my pinky toe surfing.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »
I hate the LiftSUP handle with a passion. In my opinion it feels like it cheapens the board. I've had them get stuck on several occasions. Trying to get out of the water quickly with them means you have to think about it instead of just grabbing. And then the glove issue. Forget it. Worst handles ever. I wish more companies would use Robert's handle or one similar to that, like the SIC handles. Best of both worlds and hard to get your foot caught.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:02:26 PM »
Plus one for Blue Planet's handle.

Best one I've ever used.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:05:53 PM »
They bug me because I'm a lefty, and it always seems like the opening is on the wrong side for me.

Yes, that's another thing. You can only get the handle out from one side of the board.  If you happen to be standing on the wrong side, you have to flip the board around. Having a string attached at least solves that problem.

The only other company I know of that uses the LiftSUP handle is SUPATX. That tells you something right there.

I'm really liking that SUPGRIP by Blue Planet.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:36:52 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
Maybe your surf situation only applies to two per cent of sunova users.......the rest of us are happy happy happy  :)

Have you considered leaving one glove off while you carry the board and then put glove on when you enter the water?

Yeah, maybe two percent of Sunova users in New Zealand. The rest of the world is a different story.

It's no problem carrying the board with gloves on. It's getting the handle out of the board that is impossible.

Removing a glove to get the handle out is not an option during the winter here in New England. My hand would soon freeze. Even spring and fall can be pretty cold. Just the other day I did a dawn patrol and it was 34*F degrees. Some people can handle the cold without wearing gloves. I'm not one of them.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:19:31 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:35:17 PM »
I hate the LiftSUP handle with a passion. In my opinion it feels like it cheapens the board. I've had them get stuck on several occasions. Trying to get out of the water quickly with them means you have to think about it instead of just grabbing. And then the glove issue. Forget it. Worst handles ever. I wish more companies would use Robert's handle or one similar to that, like the SIC handles. Best of both worlds and hard to get your foot caught.
This is so close to what I'd say that I had to check that I hadn't written it. I was offered a Sunova at a great price and it was exactly the board I wanted. But it had one of these ridiculous handles. So I didn't buy it.

The concept for these handles is great. They just don't work well in real life though. Moving parts on things that are going in a marine environment are always going to need maintenance and be prone to failure. The SIC handles (or the ones like Robert's) are by far the best yet invented. Double carrying options like on some Surtechs (deep, wide, ledge handle plus a soft strap handle over the top for grabbing in an emergency, or unloading from a vehicle) is quite good too.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 04:08:22 AM »
   i've used both the LS and the blue planet and robert's is by far the best.  by far.  when sunova first came on the scene, at least on the seabreeze forum, i suggested that they consider switching and the reply was, liftsup has been improved and previous issues are no longer.  nope.  the issues still exist ... especially when wearing gloves.  duh.
   in fact, i can't understand why *all* manufacturers don't use the blue planet handles.  seriously, there's nothing like them.  if you've used them, you know what i'm talking about.  if you haven't, then you really can't comment, ha ha; i mean, you can, but you won't know what you're talking about :-).

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 04:16:15 AM »
LiftSUP handles might be great for everyone in warm climates but for cold water folks forget it, I would also pass on an opportunity to buy a Sunova board just because of the handle.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 05:44:49 AM »
Good to hear about these handles before buying a Sunova.  I love it when people give honest feedback on a product, instead of all the "Sunova's are the most awesome boards ever made" talk you see on here from time to time.

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 06:26:33 AM »
The great thing about forums is you get honest talk about gear, it's what drew me to the Zone in the 1st place.

I have discussed the LiftSUP handles with Tino in the past, because I live in a wetsuit for 8 months a year and the gloves present a big problem.
I warm weather, I love the handle, but it is very difficult to open with my gloves on.
It's an issue, but a minor on to me, because, how a board surfs is all that really matters.

The Blue Planet handles do look awesome, I have considered buying one in the past and still think about it.
I will bring this thread to Tino's attention. Tino listens, he really does want to make the best boards possible!

Thanks for the conversation, I will lobby for you!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal