Author Topic: Favorite drills for newcomers?  (Read 2855 times)

striveseeksup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Favorite drills for newcomers?
« on: October 17, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »
Hi everyone:

I am getting used to my brand new NSP/DC 12'6 x 26 Surf Race. It's my first board, I've only been paddling since the beginning of August, and it's a board that I really enjoy but it does challenge me in terms of balance.

Today, I went out for about 45 minutes on a nearby lake - there was some brisk wind but no chop to speak of, so I practiced paddling into the wind at different angles. I practiced for speed (got up to 9 MPH several times :) and I worked on my bow rudder turns and just regular paddle stroke. During all of these "drills," I felt very stable. It's honestly only when I stop and stand, or stop and try to move around, that I feel that I'm going to take a header without warning. I was hesitant to work on moving around on my board, as I didn't have time to get wet, and that's when I landed in the ocean on Saturday - moving around.

When I DO work on that, are there any hints or suggestions you can give? I'm in the Northeast, so it's going to be very cold, very soon. Are there ways to work on moving on the board that are less likely to end in a cold soaking? Or, are there land workouts you believe have helped you? I have been looking at those bindo boards...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite drills for newcomers?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »
Indo boards can help, as well as anything that strengthens your legs.

But a lot of being able to balance on a board is about knowing how a board reacts, and how to brace when things go wrong. So time on water in the worst conditions you can bear will help, along with specific bracing drills.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 06:05:49 PM »
Have you thought about getting some immersion gear? Maybe a drysuit? I know they are expensive, but it would allow you to paddle year round in safety. And with a dry suit, it really isn’t a big deal if you fall in the water (depending of course on what you wear under the dry suit).
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »
During all of these "drills," I felt very stable. It's honestly only when I stop and stand, or stop and try to move around, that I feel that I'm going to take a header without warning. I was hesitant to work on moving around on my board, as I didn't have time to get wet, and that's when I landed in the ocean on Saturday - moving around.

strives - very normal that once you stop - it can feel like you will go in any second when it gets rough out.  Just keep on going out in that - bit by bit - and your balance will improve in time.  You are doing the right thing by pushing your envelope.  Stand at home or at work or anytime - on one leg and close your eyes.  Then swap to the other.  Should help your balance a lot - on land.

But best is that you are trying to move around on the board - on the water.  Most people on a narrower board stick and plant their feet - and do not ever want to move around.  That is actually the worst thing to do.  Moving is mandatory so you can balance the board fore aft and side to side and on oblique angles.  You are on the right track.  Have fun with it.  Even try closing your eyes standing and paddling.  Will really improve your center of balance.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 07:10:26 PM »

When I DO work on that, are there any hints or suggestions you can give? I'm in the Northeast, so it's going to be very cold, very soon.

Yes, practice lots in July, August and September when it's warm!
 ;)

Are there ways to work on moving on the board that are less likely to end in a cold soaking?

No, falling off is the drill. It's at the limit where you are falling that the learning happens. You can't get to that limit without also going over it. It’s at that point where you develop the reflexes.

It's good you are doing that. It may be the single best drill to do! Just dress to get wet and go do it. Never be afraid to fall in. That's when you do.

Seriously! The one who falls in the most is the one who is learning the most.

The other day at a race a friends kids did really well. 1st and 2nd. My friend was amazed. "I don't know how they do it." she said, "they never paddle". It's true, they never paddle more than a few 100 yards but when we were on the water with them we just did lots and lots of tricks, kickturns and horsing round. That practice made them balanced and developed the reflexes. The paddling part they just picked up easy by watching. That's the easy part.

BTW  anyone would fall off there. That's steep! It's looks just about vertical!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:12:46 PM by yugi »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:18:25 PM »
BTW when stopped use your paddle blade in the water to your side to brace. Blade horizontal.

Becomes a reflex if you horse around a lot doing lick turns, extreme wheelies and balance tricks.

Oh! And you discovered yourself the secret to stability. Keep paddling. The paddle in the water is something to hold on that gives you stability.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:25:46 PM by yugi »

striveseeksup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »

BTW  anyone would fall off there. That's steep! It's looks just about vertical!

Ha ha, yugi. I swear, posting a pic on this site is more difficult than staying on my narrow board.  ::)

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 01:40:57 PM »
You asked about land workouts, so have to tell you that doing body weight squats has helped me incredibly. Go deep, keep your heels down & push up from a balanced flat foot.  I do 1-200 a day, depending on the other exercise I do...which i hate...lunges **puke**

Much as I hate lunges and squats, I know my balance and strength has improve dramatically in the past month I've been doing them. IMO weights aren't needed when they get easier, just do more reps will for more endurance for when your legs are burning :-)
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal