Author Topic: Hawaiian Aloha  (Read 3046 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Hawaiian Aloha
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »
I'd like say THANKS to all the locals in Hawaii who were nothing but warm and friendly, every place we surfed.

I put together this video which typifies the Aloha on the water. The video was taken by a local surfer girl who offered to shoot video of us. She was not the only local to make this offer.

We were not the only people surfing with cameras. I saw the Gopro, Sanyos (2) and Olympus cameras in use at various breaks.

At no time did we ever surf the ideal spot at any break. We always avoided the pack of surfers dueling for the biggest and best waves. We surfed off to the side, or more inside, taking the scraps, with the more mellow locals doing likewise. It was a good vibe everywhere we surfed.

SUPs seemed to be everywhere. Often you'd see them miles out, on distance reefs all by themselves. It was a beautiful thing to see. While surfing Flat Island in Kailua, we saw a lone SUP surfer about 1 mile beyond the island surfing all alone.

In this video, My wife is wearing every piece of rubber we had in the van because it was freezing cold. Our coldest day of the vacation. Probably only 69-70°F.

Watch with the sound on.

The pack we avoided going into below. We just waited for similar waves to come to us, while being out of the way.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:17:40 PM by DW »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaiian Aloha
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:38:36 PM »
Great when it's great, yeah? The animosity level seems to be at an all time low. Not sure why.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Byronmaui

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »
Dw glad you had a great time and flat island is fun. Nice vids I saw.

Bill there is never hawaiian animosity as long as respect is given freely and not forced. Hawaiian's have the biggest hearts and DW got to experience it. Right onnnnnnnnnnnnn....

Aloha

Byron
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:19:22 PM by Bmaui »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »
I firmly believe that Hawaiians are the most generous people in the world.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stevenson91@cox.net

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 02:17:07 PM »
DW, you caught the week I was hoping to hit. I was there the previous week and the winds were onshore on the town side. I got several clean sessions at Populars in front of the Sheraton. The North Shore was pretty good size the first of the week and the storm system in the area really kicked up the surf later in the week, so needless to say I wasn't SUPing there. Had a great trip all and all but you scored the glassy conditions. It blew NW the last day and that made it hard to drop in. I also got a taste of the reef on the second time I went out. Sliced up some toes and the ball of my right foot but cleaned it up good and stayed in the water the rest of the week. Wish I knew then what I know now. Where did you manage to get those C4 boards? Rentals?

Glenn

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »
Glenn,

I rented the 9'3 Sub Vector from Wet Feet, and the 9'0 Bat tail from Blue Planet.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »

yup Kailua has soem really really nice waves that regular surfers will usually not bother to paddle to. Actually some hidden gems off the coast there...however, usually the wind is very onshore which makes the outside very choppy and not very good for SUP...but all the better for kiting...also it does require some negotiation of bare reef on low tide...  :-)

a. 

stevenson91@cox.net

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »
DW, looks like you got some good equipment from them. I have to agree with everyone. The vibes I experienced were more than friendly. Almost to a person, I was greeted with much aloha, regardless of what we were doing. Surfing, driving, dining and sightseeing was a pleasure. One of the nicest shops I visited was in Kailua, so new it didn't have a sign up yet. I was greeted by Ikaika and his dad, who were great ambassadors for the sport and the island. Kimo's  Surf Shop? Great selection of boards too. Man, I wanted to take one of those home bad, but not this time.

Glenn

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »
I think I saw that shop in Kailua. It had lots of Starboards and C4s in the window, but no sign up.

I should have gone in there.

stevenson91@cox.net

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »
Yep, thats the one. Plenty of SUPs and longboards. Wish I could have snagged one of those PSH's. Could have saved some $$ on shipping by bringing it back excess baggage I think. I have no idea what it costs to take an 10'6" board on a flight though. I brought back a sailboard years ago but it maybe prohibitive these days.

Glenn

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal