Author Topic: What do you like for energy on long paddles.  (Read 7716 times)

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What do you like for energy on long paddles.
« on: October 10, 2016, 06:22:15 PM »
Wondered what people like for caloric replacement/energy on longer distance paddles. I'm not familiar with a lot of the new paste's, cubes, or powders etc. Thanks  :)
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: What do you like for energy on long paddles.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 05:18:39 AM »
I use Hammer gels, which are easily stuffed in the pocket of a PFD or waterpack. I also like Kind bars for longer distances, especially the strong tasting ones. The sweet taste gets a little insipid after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 05:55:03 AM »
First priority is to make sure you're carbed up first. Having your glycogen maxed out will carry you through pretty far.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:03:38 AM »
Science in Sport energy gels.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
I take cash.

Then a nice table in the port of call. Order beers and a nice meal. Enjoy it and marvel how much less expensive it is than from where I from.

Traveling light is an art. I drink the water I paddle in.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
What are you considering long?  For my needs I figure the first hour and a half is the free.  After that I'll want to have coco water or some supplement in my camel.  I like to have eaten at least two hours or more before a paddle.  I don't think you get much energy from anything you eat right before you head out and the potential for stomach problems can rear up depending on what you eat and how hard you go.

So oatmeal, whey, chia and bee pollen or eggs and toast in the morning and only electrolytes until I go.  The electrolytes I use are from a powder I get that is only mag, pot, and trace minerals, no sweeteners of flavors.  Oh yeah and keep your camel clean if you start using anything else but straight water.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 10:14:38 AM »
Depends on the distance. If I'm going 30kms+, I pack a lunch and eat a good breakfast with lots of carbs. Cliff bars, gels, trail mix, and electrolytes mixed with water or individual gatorades etc.

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
I take cash.

Then a nice table in the port of call. Order beers and a nice meal. Enjoy it and marvel how much less expensive it is than from where I from.

Traveling light is an art. I drink the water I paddle in.

8) Thanks Yugi, I enjoyed that suggestion.
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 12:14:08 PM »
What are you considering long?  For my needs I figure the first hour and a half is the free.  After that I'll want to have coco water or some supplement in my camel.  I like to have eaten at least two hours or more before a paddle.  I don't think you get much energy from anything you eat right before you head out and the potential for stomach problems can rear up depending on what you eat and how hard you go.

So oatmeal, whey, chia and bee pollen or eggs and toast in the morning and only electrolytes until I go.  The electrolytes I use are from a powder I get that is only mag, pot, and trace minerals, no sweeteners of flavors.  Oh yeah and keep your camel clean if you start using anything else but straight water.

Thanks Headmount, I'm fairly new to SUP (3 months) and I'm doing an 11 mile distance (set route) once or twice a week in addition to shorter 4-7 mile paddles 2-3 days a week (I go 4 days a week). Yesterday I hit the wall at about 9 miles and was frustrated cuz I was completely tanked and that's not usual for me. Don't get me wrong I get tired but not fatigued like that. It could easily just be the day but I've also never looked into supplements so I wanted to ask some of you more experienced guys. I'm 57 so I feel good about my progression so far and wanna stay on a good supplement/nutrition program. I don't eat breads or many simple carbs but Oatmeal or Oat based granola is a frequent breakfast. I find power bars while paddling don't do much for me, I get more form just water. Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the knowledge.
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 05:11:15 PM »
Stefan. I'm slightly younger than you, and have done quite a few 2-3 hour paddles,

Like Headmount I  load up 1.5-2 hours before the paddle with a good meal. If breakfast, it is a bowl of mixed fruits, bacon, 2 eggs and a piece of toast with lashings of honey. If I am paddling mid-morning, then I will usually have a banana one hour before paddling, in addition to the breakfast.

This is what I take with me on a long paddle and usually come back with something in reserve that I have not used

1. One orange cut into 8 segments inside a ziplock bag. 2 for longer journeys
2. Energy Gel packs x 3
3. Organic Squeezy Energy Bars X 2 from http://www.squeezy.de/produkt/energy-organic-bar/
4. CamelBak Molokai SUP hydration Pack full of water (no electrolytes) http://shop.camelbak.com/molokai/d/1303_cl_4581

I find the hard chewy energy bars too much to handle out there as they take too long to eat and so the soft squeezy ones are really good.

If paddling for 2 hours I would normally stop every 1/2 hour or so for a gel or a few pieces of orange segments (gel if it is hardcore paddling, orange if it is just normal), then when I get to the hour mark stop and have 1/2 to a whole of an energy bar. If I am paddling hard, and don't eat something after 90 mins I get wobbly and start feeling weak. Having a bite of the energy bar before this happens is key to keeping up my energy levels.  Having the CamelBak allows me to sip along the way. I tend to like to sip regularly rather than stop and have a long drink at a rest point.

A friend in the US who does a lot of long distance paddling introduced me to the fresh orange segments and if I could only take one thing with me, it would be the orange. Amazing how good it tastes out in the ocean

I also take around USD20-50 cash in local currency, in case I need to get a cab back or buy something on the way or when I get back

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:29:35 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:14:18 PM »
Thanks Off-Shore, I'm fairly sure electrolyte replacement is high on the list of things I need to focus on but I love the tips re meal intervals and snacks (love the orange slice idea). I'm such a block head I just go out with water and don't think about these things... it's great to hear what works for people.
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 04:07:40 AM »
Lunch. My secret for doing 40-mile paddles is Rollandi's on the water in Scappose, Oregon. I start in Portland and Rollandi's is 20 miles away. The closer I get the better lunch sounds. Once I get there, I have to get back. Presto, 40 miles.  Like dangling an ear of corn in front of a donkey.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 03:02:44 PM »
Lunch. My secret for doing 40-mile paddles is Rollandi's on the water in Scappose, Oregon. I start in Portland and Rollandi's is 20 miles away. The closer I get the better lunch sounds. Once I get there, I have to get back. Presto, 40 miles.  Like dangling an ear of corn in front of a donkey.

Ya I would have to eat on a paddle like that PonoBill LOL, I'll get up there eventually...  I am totally goal oriented so that sounds like a fun turn around possibly next summer.

NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

striveseeksup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 03:42:50 PM »
An apple
Almonds
Vitamin Water

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »
An apple
Almonds
Vitamin Water

Just some info about Vitamin water in case you weren't aware. https://authoritynutrition.com/5-reasons-why-vitaminwater-is-a-bad-idea/
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard