Author Topic: Unlimited talk  (Read 3350 times)

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
Unlimited talk
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
So I'm seriously contemplating going bigger than 14'. I just sold off one and I'm thinking of selling off another to help ease the pain. :)

For those of you folks who have time on unlimiteds what is currently out there for big strong paddlers? Most of what I do is flatwater to light-moderate chop.

So, other than the King 19' and the 18' Speedboard  what else is out there that is a viable contender?

Thanks,
Will
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:11:25 AM by BWilliam »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unlimited talk
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 10:56:08 AM »
For big guys like us, it's going to be a custom. It's what drove me to start shaping my own boards, or having custom golf clubs built, or cutting the seats and lowering them in my new cars because I didn't fit in 95% of the cars we wanted. Pants no. Excuse me, but what shoes do you have in size 14? "We have one pair of size 14 tennis shoes in green sir." I'd be set if I wanted to wear XXXL Air Jordan's everyday... cool.... We are off the charts, and it's hard to have someone who's 5'10 and 185 lbs even comprehend where we are at balance and weight wise. If you can find someone in your area that has a CNC and a glass shop, that might be the route to go. I can help with the design. PM me and we can discuss some options.
You won't regret it...... Big boards.......

This is first one I designed. Hobie glassed it for me. I miss having it in the ocean. I wanted faster narrower, and that's what I have now. But it's really tough in the open ocean.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:05:25 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:43:26 AM »
At 265 pounds fairly lean, you are truly a super heavy weight and virtually in a class by yourself in this sport.  230, 240 pounds? Big, but middle weights compared to you. Not sure if you have considered a dug out, but Starboard has just released the specs on the new Ace GT Unlimited. 18' x 26.75" at 412 litres. Pricey though. The first GT unlimited is 17'4" x 27 at 312 litres. I wasn't interested in unlimited boards until I checked out a few used ones popping up online. I'm not very heavy but the advantages for long distance touring and bringing along extra gear has me interested.

What about Richmond boards? Any of those kicking around in a relatively modest rocker line? Heard good things. UKriversurfers has one I believe.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »
I know a guy who has a bunch of Richmond unlimiteds stored somewhere.  He's been back into outriggers and I have seen him on a SUP in at least a year. He's around 5'10  180# and was super fast on them. He might want to sell one? Craig Richmond just made a new prone paddle board for someone.  Maybe he'll be interested in doing another unlimited SUP? I have his number.  PM me if anyone is interested.
It's not overhead to me!

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »
For big guys like us, it's going to be a custom. It's what drove me to start shaping my own boards, or having custom golf clubs built, or cutting the seats and lowering them in my new cars because I didn't fit in 95% of the cars we wanted. Pants no. Excuse me, but what shoes do you have in size 14? "We have one pair of size 14 tennis shoes in green sir." I'd be set if I wanted to wear XXXL Air Jordan's everyday... cool.... We are off the charts, and it's hard to have someone who's 5'10 and 185 lbs even comprehend where we are at balance and weight wise. If you can find someone in your area that has a CNC and a glass shop, that might be the route to go. I can help with the design. PM me and we can discuss some options.
You won't regret it...... Big boards.......

This is first one I designed. Hobie glassed it for me. I miss having it in the ocean. I wanted faster narrower, and that's what I have now. But it's really tough in the open ocean.

Oh yes I've been there: Do you have any shoes in a size 16? "Oh yes, you can choose from this one model in either mint green or smurf blue..."

I don't know if there is anyone in the area with a CNC/glass shop but with all the boat building and everything else around Narragansett Bay there must be. I have the room to set up for fine tuning but I've never done it so it would be a good learning experience.

Time to go big or go home. :)

William

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:20 PM »
At 265 pounds fairly lean, you are truly a super heavy weight and virtually in a class by yourself in this sport.  230, 240 pounds? Big, but middle weights compared to you. Not sure if you have considered a dug out, but Starboard has just released the specs on the new Ace GT Unlimited. 18' x 26.75" at 412 litres. Pricey though. The first GT unlimited is 17'4" x 27 at 312 litres. I wasn't interested in unlimited boards until I checked out a few used ones popping up online. I'm not very heavy but the advantages for long distance touring and bringing along extra gear has me interested.

What about Richmond boards? Any of those kicking around in a relatively modest rocker line? Heard good things. UKriversurfers has one I believe.

Same with bikes and a lot of other things, those of us on the far side of the bell curve don't get a lot of love. I would like to see some info on the Ace GT...I'll have to do some Googling to see id there is any info out there.

Locally I haven't seen anything bigger than 14' pop up on CL to try out but I keep checking just in case.

Will

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:48:57 PM »
BTW TD,

I'm sure you've heard it before, but with your height on the 18' that photo could be mistaken for an average sized peddler on a 14'....and that's the point.

Will

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 06:56:19 PM »
People ask me all the time if my unlimiteds are 14'.
It's not overhead to me!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 07:26:59 AM »
I'm going to go talk to Patrick (Bahn Pho) after he gets back from the Chattajack. He's making some beautiful and fast boards these days and making them primarily for the conditions you paddle in.....he'll certainly build it with you and the conditions in mind.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
So I'm seriously contemplating going bigger than 14'. I just sold off one and I'm thinking of selling off another to help ease the pain. :)

For those of you folks who have time on unlimiteds what is currently out there for big strong paddlers? Most of what I do is flatwater to light-moderate chop.

So, other than the King 19' and the 18' Speedboard  what else is out there that is a viable contender?

Thanks,
Will

If you are on the mainland I would seriously look at the Kings because you can tweek the design to your needs. Dave Daum will work with you online to design the board you want.
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »
If you're interested I'll let you know when I'm going to see Patrick. He's not a small guy himself (not quite a Clydesdale like us though) and has been paddling longer than anyone on the east coast, races himself (and is on the podium frequently), has done the M2O 3 times I think, the CCBC, and almost all the big open ocean and flatwater races on the east coast. He knows as well or better than anyone what makes a board work for our waters and our size. Anyone in The Hobo Squad (anyone with a Banh Pho) will tell you how great his boards are. I can't wait to talk with him.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »
If you're interested I'll let you know when I'm going to see Patrick. He's not a small guy himself (not quite a Clydesdale like us though) and has been paddling longer than anyone on the east coast, races himself (and is on the podium frequently), has done the M2O 3 times I think, the CCBC, and almost all the big open ocean and flatwater races on the east coast. He knows as well or better than anyone what makes a board work for our waters and our size. Anyone in The Hobo Squad (anyone with a Banh Pho) will tell you how great his boards are. I can't wait to talk with him.

I would be very interested in what he thinks will work for a fellow big guy.

Will

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
William take a look at and talk to the folks at MHL Custom in Puerto Rico, I saw one of their Unlimited boards and it was beautiful and fast. Like Kings they will design the board for your size and conditions.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 05:48:16 AM »
Those MHL's look pretty sweet!

A couple of Unlimited articles (my apologies if they were posted before...

‘That’s Not a Board, THIS Is a Board!’ (aka the Fun of the Unlimited)
http://www.supracer.com/travis-grant-unlimited-stand-up-paddle-boards-are-fun/

The Future of Unlimited SUP's
http://supexaminer.com/2016/02/the-future-of-unlimited-sups/#.WAoNizI-Inc

Will

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal