Author Topic: Surfer versus SUP at doho  (Read 11852 times)

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfer versus SUP at doho
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 07:10:16 AM »
I wonder what selfish dickhead was out practicing with a leashlesh race board with a crowded lineup
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 07:33:51 AM »
Page not found.....but if that's the situation I hope they get screwed....stupid beyond belief to do that I don't care who it is.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/paddlers-731239-stand-simons.html

If the link doesn't work, look at the titles, it's there.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:52:22 AM »
http://m.ocregister.com/articles/paddlers-731239-stand-simons.html

Nasty injury to her finger, but maybe just a little dramatic...

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »
I'm sure if the board that hit her was a prone board there would be no mention.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 08:07:08 AM »
Oh my God, a broken, dislocated finger.  We need to ban all SUPs now!

Maybe Miss Simons needs to harden up a bit.  I'm sure her longboard doesn't have the ability to break someone's finger, yeah right.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 08:20:30 AM »
The html is missing from the address in the original link...fixed now.

The SUP hate is stupid and definitely a bit dramatic but I think we would all be a bit pissed off and rant if some leashless dick's board broke our finger, ended our session, and would likely keep us off the water for awhile. It also could have caused a lot more critical damage if she hadn't seen it coming. If it happened to me or someone I cared about it likely would have involved far more drama....they wouldn't be paddling that board again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:26:07 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 08:25:36 AM »
"Leashless" the problem in this case, not "SUP".  And "leashless" is an issue with the prone crowd too.

Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »
"Leashless" the problem in this case, not "SUP".  And "leashless" is an issue with the prone crowd too.

Very true but a leashless longboard or shortboard is likely going to cause less damage and lets face it...we don't need to give them ammunition for further SUP regulation. Practicing leashless with people inside you is both stupid and selfish.
Bob

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 08:42:49 AM »
I'm sure if the board that hit her was a prone board there would be no mention.
I agree.  I surf SUP at Doheny all summer, with proners in the area sups are restricted to, and I've never had a problem there, but I do wear a leash and I'm careful as hell. Do unto others and all that.  Sorry bout the finger. I hope she realizes that demonizing sups will only lead to demonizing longboards or whatever's next on the food chain, and she rides longboards.  Doheny is notoriously crowded and full of beginners. Chances are there's going to be a collision or two.  The fact that this hits the papers smells a bit funny to me.

I did mash into a kid at Doho while prone surfing my old 25# Weber. I came to the surface thinking I was going to have to rescue the little guy, but he ducked at the last second and the board glanced off his back with no damage done, amazingly to me.  That board weighed 5+ pounds more than any SUP I own now.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 08:45:21 AM »
Just another long board SUP club hater. I'm sure this is the only time that she's been hit by a board. Race boards are soft compared to long boards. Race boards are even lighter than a traditional polyester long board. They have big fat rails that flex as opposed to the hard rail of a long board. I was hit by multiple race boards during the start of the BOP Salt Creek, so I know what it feels like. I've also been hit by surf boards. I don't go crying. Accidents happen. I'm going to guess that the reporter Laylan Connelly and Mrs. Simons are personal friends. This could have stayed as conversation in the parking lot after surfing or a facebook rant, but the OC Register (rag) let it be published.

At least Ms. or Mrs. Simons got some cool pictures of her surfing in the paper:)

The reporter surfs  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UENELyMQKUQ
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:49:22 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 08:47:22 AM »
What nonsense, traditional long-boarders, of which she appears to be part of,  are the most notorious for not wearing leashes.  And for good reason, leashes simply don't always make sense.  To the long-boarders working on traditional riding skills including cross stepping, drop knee turns and nose-riding in general they really get in the way.  One of the first things a long-boarder learns, before they go leash-less is to kick out of a wave.  A good long-boarder who can kick out and leave the board behind the wave is actually safer to surf around than someone who consistently counts on the leash at the end of every ride.   To establish and enforce any sort of leash policy would be to kill a vital part of our surfing heritage.

As already stated, if this had not been an SUP there would likely be no whining...

Cardiff Kook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 09:28:32 AM »
I was there.. Know people who were in the water. She was not hit by a SUP. She was hit by an inflatable Prone paddle board. Yes, an inflatable.

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 09:36:53 AM »
There may well be another objective to this anti SUP rant....

If you hate SUP and want to promote more restrictions on SUP activity, a lawsuit against a municipality, for improper control is a good place to start.

Races like BOP and PPG have a spectator appeal in the Extreme Sport genre, with plenty of mayhem to draw a crowd.

There are no shortage of pictures from these races, to shock a jury into big punitive judgments against the city and agencies.

Perfect fodder for a personal injury lawyer, and pretty hard to counter with "Longboard" contest pictures

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal