Author Topic: Is my paddle shaft too slippery? (Forgive the double entendre)  (Read 4636 times)

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is my paddle shaft too slippery? (Forgive the double entendre)
« on: September 24, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
I recently purchased a Kialoa Insanity fiberglass adjustable paddle. The build is quite nice and it paddles well, as far as I can tell ( I am a novice). However, compared with my first paddle ( a Bic) the shaft is very very slippery when wet, making it difficult to paddle and generating some hand fatigue. I'm not sure if this is a feature or bug, or how more experienced people handle this issue. 

I can see the upside as I occasionally got blisters when starting out (on the top side of my hand just passed the web between thumb and forefinger) with the Bic which is a bit grippier, but this has not been an issue since I learned not to have a death grip on the paddle.

So-- is this an issue that bothers anyone besides me? Do you wax or tape your paddle shaft? (Again, sorry that it sounds so dirty).
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is my paddle shaft too slippery? (Forgive the double entendre)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »
Sunscreen maybe? I have a Kialoa and big hands and haven't noticed a problem.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:32:45 PM »
Yes, I tape my shafts. It makes a huge difference. I've no idea why more people don't, since it improves performance a lot in critical situations.

Some brands produce grips specifically for paddles. I prefer field hockey tape, but tennis racquet grip or similar would probably work also.

You can also sand them, or use wax. Or paddle gloves.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:33:51 PM »
I've found some brands of sunscreen make the paddle shaft slippy and if you are already out on the water I've found the best solution is get to a sandy beach and take a handful of the sand and rub over the grip areas several times and rub hands together with sand in between them. Works well.

Ive also found new paddles to be more slippy. This may be because of the release agent that is used in the molding process so they do not stick to the mold that is left as a residue on the surface

I have also found that too grippy or textured handle or paddle shaft will give me blisters. I've not tried the hockey or tennis racket grip but would imagine this is good especially when it is cold. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:00:49 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:06:24 PM »
I found that adding a grip to the paddle enhances performance considerably and indeed does help with fighting over-grip and fatigue.

3M recently came out with a new product simply called "Gripping Material" and it
Is of a superb quality. I've been testing few versions of it for the past 2 months. It comes as a tape or as sheets, with or without adhesive.

I've used many solutions in the past, including some mentioned here but this is by far the most effective IMO.
in progress...

Stew

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 11:59:15 PM »
I found that adding a grip to the paddle enhances performance considerably and indeed does help with fighting over-grip and fatigue.

3M recently came out with a new product simply called "Gripping Material" and it
Is of a superb quality. I've been testing few versions of it for the past 2 months. It comes as a tape or as sheets, with or without adhesive.

I've used many solutions in the past, including some mentioned here but this is by far the most effective IMO.

I just looked that 3m tape up - looks good (and not just for paddles) but a shame that for some reason there's no supplier to be found in the UK!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 05:39:22 AM »

I just looked that 3m tape up - looks good (and not just for paddles) but a shame that for some reason there's no supplier to be found in the UK!
I found it on Amazon UK (shipped from the EU I guess) but it isn't cheap. One application of Mercian supersoft hockey tape lasts me about 6 months to a year, gives a huge amount of grip and helps a lot with blisters too - it's luxuriously soft and grippy. Costs about £5 a roll - but you can get cheaper options at less than half that price.

RSPro do a grip, but it's loadsa money, predictably.

I've ordered some of the 3M stuff, so I'll tell you I get on. A roll of it has cost about the same as 5 rolls of premium hockey tape, or 10 rolls of cheaper stuff. So it will need to be very good to make it worth it.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 05:57:33 AM »

I found it on Amazon UK (shipped from the EU I guess) but it isn't cheap. One application of Mercian supersoft hockey tape lasts me about 6 months to a year, gives a huge amount of grip and helps a lot with blisters too - it's luxuriously soft and grippy. Costs about £5 a roll - but you can get cheaper options at less than half that price.

RSPro do a grip, but it's loadsa money, predictably.

I've ordered some of the 3M stuff, so I'll tell you I get on. A roll of it has cost about the same as 5 rolls of premium hockey tape, or 10 rolls of cheaper stuff. So it will need to be very good to make it worth it.

A10, I'm not sure how much it costs across the pond but here on Amazon
I found this: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Gripping-Material-TB641-Black/dp/B0093CQQNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474807519&sr=8-1&keywords=Gripping+Material#feature-bullets-btf

So for under $19 I have enough material to cover all your 20+ paddles if I'm taking the economic approach or 12 paddles if I'm being spendy, either way, it's a good bang for the buck.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 07:22:01 AM »
I could only find a roll of the narrow tape over here, rather than the patches.

Basically, it's twice the price over here, once you factor in shipping and taxes, whether you buy it from mainland Europe or the US.

It looks good enough for me to have bought some to try it out though. So, thanks for the heads-up.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 07:55:09 AM »

Basically, it's twice the price over here, once you factor in shipping and taxes, whether you buy it from mainland Europe or the US.

It looks good enough for me to have bought some to try it out though. So, thanks for the heads-up.

It's very surprising to hear you don't have a local supplier in the UK. Maybe an opportunity for someone...

Anyway, I found the sheets to work much better for me than the 1" tape.
it's a lot more economical and does not make the shaft too thick (due to overlapping). It's also less prone to wear and tear due to the continuous surface area.

Also good to know that this material comes in 5 different grip versions, from ultra soft to firm where the most firm is the most durable version.

I've tested all of them and the firm is just as good the ultra soft but with the added durability. I used it recently on a 20 mile race, no fatigue, no blisters.

My only criticism for this product is that it could be somewhat thinner. I have a similar material from an unknown brand that is 0.5 millimeter thin and that makes a noticeable difference in the tape version, it's a pity this material is not as soft as the 3M. Tested it on a 25 mile race, and although I didn't get any blisters, my palm where somewhat raw for the rest of the day.
in progress...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 06:39:15 AM »
drf,  It must be all the lube I put on my hand as a kid, but I even have taken to use an exam glove to putting on Blue Lizard because I was convinced the beeswax made the shafts slippery.. Not so.  I even wash my hands before I go out - rub them with sand, etc.. but most raw paddle shafts and handles (the KeNalu shaft is the exception) are slippery.  I got the knobby strips, messed with racquet tape and have tried numerous sprays. This is an old photo, but shows the how.  The what has changed; I now use Rust-Olem 'Truck Bed Coating'.  About $7 can.  As I need all the help I can get out there - a slippery paddle is a real nuisance.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 07:15:37 AM »
drf,  It must be all the lube I put on my hand as a kid, but I even have taken to use an exam glove to putting on Blue Lizard because I was convinced the beeswax made the shafts slippery.. Not so.  I even wash my hands before I go out - rub them with sand, etc.. but most raw paddle shafts and handles (the KeNalu shaft is the exception) are slippery.  I got the knobby strips, messed with racquet tape and have tried numerous sprays. This is an old photo, but shows the how.  The what has changed; I now use Rust-Olem 'Truck Bed Coating'.  About $7 can.  As I need all the help I can get out there - a slippery paddle is a real nuisance.

Jim

That stuff definitely worked for me, but I found that on the longer runs I still get blisters and raw hands.

I also got hesitant about this material as it is a chemical and someone else who used it mentioned cancer... Maybe just a head game but who knows.
in progress...

drfierce

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 10:04:57 AM »
Thanks so much guys. In retrospect it was more prominent on the hand I used to apply sunblock that day. I tried Off-Shore's suggestion with the sand and it seemed to help a fair amount as well. I do have a bit of the poetically named "Gripping Material" en route and I may still try it, as well as using it on a few points on my board where I need to handle it on and off of the car.
Naish Odysseus 9'8
SIC Bullet 12.6 TWC
Supsports Hammer 9'5x31

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 08:04:01 AM »

3M just sent me a new variant of the gripping material. it's the GM531.
according to them it should work better for water applications.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Products/~/3M-Gripping-Material-GM531?N=5471909+3291742534&rt=rud

This one looks very promising. It's super thin (less than 0.5 millimeter)
super light and feels even better than the TB641 variant.

This one should work very well both as sheet or as a 4inch/1inch tape.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal