Author Topic: What to wear in the Fall?  (Read 7012 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: What to wear in the Fall?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
I go boardshorts as deep into fall as I can, then a 3/2, then 3/2 with booties. of course it all depends on what fall means...here it can be 70's and sunny or 40's and wet with wind.

I need a new winter suit this year though. I like a stretchy 4/3/2 and add a hood or hooded vest as it gets real cold. I wear 5mm superfreak booties and add wool socks (my Mom knit them for me...:) :'( ) when needed. I have 2mm NRS gloves I use all winter. Remarkably warm for such thin gloves.

With my 1/2 assed balance system the barefoot thing is a big deal for me. I notice a definite change in my balance when my feet aren't as connected. I go barefoot as often as I can....not just surf all the time. It simply makes you more conscious of your feet and enhances proprioception.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
I’m mostly a flat water paddler and have used both a Farmer John wetsuit and a dry suit. Have to say I much prefer the dry suit. I haven’t used the Farmer John since I bought a dry suit.

But I have also adopted pretty much the same set up as Eagle mentioned in his post. I have the exact same dry pants he does and I pair them with a semi dry top for a lot of my fall / spring paddling. I will also use this combination in some parts of the winter but when it gets really cold I have an Ocean Rodeo drysuit I wear.

Hope this helps.

Oddly, your link took me to the Rodeo travel suitcase at the Kohl's department store site.

Hi Spirit,

That’s funny! Here is the link to the Ocean Rodeo site: https://oceanrodeo.com/drywear/

I have the Ocean Rodeo “Heat” drysuit. It’s a great suit in that it’s pretty versatile. I also got a really good deal on it. A word of warning though, their suits are all unisex. I have the size medium and my wife tried it on. It was much too large for her, but it also barely fit over her hips. So we knew that while a smaller size might be good for length, she probably wouldn’t get into it because the hip size would be too small. We called Ocean Rodeo and they confirmed this. I know I’ve seen women with Ocean Rodeo suits, so I guess it just depends on each individuals’ body characteristics. Just something to be aware of.

What my wife did end up with is the same suit Eagle uses. That is the Kokatat “Surge” paddling suit (https://kokatat.com/product/gore-tex-surge-paddling-suit-with-switchzip-technology-dswxsus). She actually doesn’t even have it yet. Our local retailer had to order one in for her, and then we went away on vacation. Just got back on Friday and we are going to pick up her new suit tomorrow. So I can’t at this point say anything good or bad about it.

One thing to note on the “Surge” suit is that it is not a full on dry suit. The neck uses a neoprene gasket so it is not fully waterproof. My wife won’t be going out in crazy conditions, so this wasn’t a deal breaker for her, but is something to consider.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »
I’m mostly a flat water paddler and have used both a Farmer John wetsuit and a dry suit. Have to say I much prefer the dry suit. I haven’t used the Farmer John since I bought a dry suit.

But I have also adopted pretty much the same set up as Eagle mentioned in his post. I have the exact same dry pants he does and I pair them with a semi dry top for a lot of my fall / spring paddling. I will also use this combination in some parts of the winter but when it gets really cold I have an Ocean Rodeo drysuit I wear.

Hope this helps.

Oddly, your link took me to the Rodeo travel suitcase at the Kohl's department store site.

Hi Spirit,

That’s funny! Here is the link to the Ocean Rodeo site: https://oceanrodeo.com/drywear/

I have the Ocean Rodeo “Heat” drysuit. It’s a great suit in that it’s pretty versatile. I also got a really good deal on it. A word of warning though, their suits are all unisex. I have the size medium and my wife tried it on. It was much too large for her, but it also barely fit over her hips. So we knew that while a smaller size might be good for length, she probably wouldn’t get into it because the hip size would be too small. We called Ocean Rodeo and they confirmed this. I know I’ve seen women with Ocean Rodeo suits, so I guess it just depends on each individuals’ body characteristics. Just something to be aware of.

What my wife did end up with is the same suit Eagle uses. That is the Kokatat “Surge” paddling suit (https://kokatat.com/product/gore-tex-surge-paddling-suit-with-switchzip-technology-dswxsus). She actually doesn’t even have it yet. Our local retailer had to order one in for her, and then we went away on vacation. Just got back on Friday and we are going to pick up her new suit tomorrow. So I can’t at this point say anything good or bad about it.

One thing to note on the “Surge” suit is that it is not a full on dry suit. The neck uses a neoprene gasket so it is not fully waterproof. My wife won’t be going out in crazy conditions, so this wasn’t a deal breaker for her, but is something to consider.

Hi QB!  I hope you're doing well!  Let me know how your wife likes the Surge,  it's wY out of my price range, but it would still be good to know about the sizing of Kokatat suits.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 12:14:07 PM »
"One thing to note on the “Surge” suit is that it is not a full on dry suit. The neck uses a neoprene gasket so it is not fully waterproof."

^ Yeah that semi-dry SUP suit is not designed for constant full submersion like full-on kayak use.  Have not fallen in so cannot verify how much water seeps in.  But did use mine about 20x last year.  When air temps were 5C it was getting warm under full exertion after 5 miles.  Now would suspect if paddling slowly and more casually -> the inside would not heat up much at all and more layers would be needed.  So good to keep that in mind.  Normally I just wore board shorts and a running tee under.

At 0C wore a light pair of fleece bottoms and long sleeve top under and that was enough.  What it allowed for me was to go out in temps and conditions that would normally keep me at home.  Do have plenty of wetsuit options we have tried over the years -> but most like the simplicity of zipping on and off without rinsing and drying out any of our gear.

"Our standards require that during heavy exertion our fabrics must breathe well enough to allow sweat to evaporate easily."

They say this -> but in reality sweat does not evaporate easily under heavy exertion.  Also have problems with Goretex when used hiking up hills.  The thick fabric simply does not allow sweat to breathe fast enough for my liking.  So now use very light water resistant fabrics made for running for that.  Goretex is good stuff but does have certain performance flaws -> including quite a high price like noted.  Kokatat also has this option that might work.

https://kokatat.com/shop/womens/paddling-suits

https://www.gore-tex.com.au/technology/gore-tex-membrane
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »
Your paddling sounds a lot like mine: inland, close to shore, freshwater. Check out the Kokotat Tempest pants: waterproof, breathable, built in stocking feet. The stocking feet are a godsend when the water is just starting to get cold: thin, but keep your feet dry. As the water gets colder, you can add thin layers under them. When the water is just starting to get cold, I wear the pants by themselves. When I get worried about immersion, I pair the pants with a drytop or semidrytop. If you are hammering, waterproof/breathable is much nicer than neoprene.

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 05:46:58 AM »
I love my NRS Hydroskin, have the bottoms and the jacket. They've kept me warm into the 30's, and if you fall in they still behave kind of like a wetsuit. They won't keep you as warm as a wetsuit in very cold water, but they're a great mix.  I also wear 6mm booties from Camaro.
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
Your paddling sounds a lot like mine: inland, close to shore, freshwater. Check out the Kokotat Tempest pants: waterproof, breathable, built in stocking feet. The stocking feet are a godsend when the water is just starting to get cold: thin, but keep your feet dry. As the water gets colder, you can add thin layers under them. When the water is just starting to get cold, I wear the pants by themselves. When I get worried about immersion, I pair the pants with a drytop or semidrytop. If you are hammering, waterproof/breathable is much nicer than neoprene.

Absolutely agree about the Kokatat Tempest pants. I love mine and use them a lot. They are not however for immersion protection. I wear mine with a semi dry top and this combination is my favourite winter paddling outfit. But if I am at all concerned about immersion, I will wear my full on dry suit. It just offers that extra layer of protection.

And while I don’t paddle a lot in the pouring rain, every once in a while I will. And in this weather condition I tend to also use my dry suit. The pants and semi dry top would probably work, I’ve just gotten used to using my dry suit when it is raining hard.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 12:06:35 PM »
Check out the Kokotat Tempest pants: waterproof, breathable, built in stocking feet. The stocking feet are a godsend when the water is just starting to get cold: thin, but keep your feet dry. As the water gets colder, you can add thin layers under them. When the water is just starting to get cold, I wear the pants by themselves. When I get worried about immersion, I pair the pants with a drytop or semidrytop. If you are hammering, waterproof/breathable is much nicer than neoprene.
Absolutely agree about the Kokatat Tempest pants. I love mine and use them a lot. They are not however for immersion protection.
^ Yup.  Tempest pants are a smart option before going to a full drysuit.  Allows you to keep your lower body and feet especially dry while your upper body stays cool.  Good for when it is rough and splashy but ocean is not super cold.  So kinda about now as our local mtns are just starting to get snow.

Adds a bit of safety to the equation without paddling fully sweated out in full neoprene.  Really for me the dry pants option and full dry suit are just a safety thing for the very odd occassion you happen to fall in.  Did wear neoprene before but found it was simply too unbreathable even with neoprene pants and sealed boots only.  The breathable dry pants solved that problem immediately.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
Hi QB!  I hope you're doing well!  Let me know how your wife likes the Surge,  it's wY out of my price range, but it would still be good to know about the sizing of Kokatat suits.

Hi Spirit,

Am doing really well. Has been a crazy busy summer and am still busy, but I suppose that’s what keeps life interesting! Hope you are also doing well and that you’re enjoying Seattle?

We picked up my wife’s new Surge paddling suit today. She hasn’t tried it on the water yet, but she did try it on. Sizing was much better than the Ocean Rodeo. Looks like it is going to be a good suit for her.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal