Author Topic: Kai Lenny Foil Open Ocean SUP & Prone Surfing  (Read 19387 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Kai Lenny Foil Open Ocean SUP & Prone Surfing
« on: September 15, 2016, 04:57:46 AM »
Kai Lenny is making this look way too fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7XupqFOFSg

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Kai Lenny Foil Open Ocean SUP & Prone Surfing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 05:33:17 AM »
We need a report from someone on Maui to tell us how this looks in person.

Practical fun, or are we seeing just the-best-of clips.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 06:11:04 AM »
On Maui, it is pretty much boat assist unless you have the arms to swim 1 mile offshore, paddle for swell and still have steam to make it home.  In the Gorge, 20 feet and you're in business.  Even if you only get a handful of rides it would be great fun.  Let the river take you back to your car.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:13:46 AM by Admin »

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:49:21 AM »
Pretty amazing and without a paddle.

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 07:51:35 AM »
Kai has done it, again ! And this time taken it to a completely different level.
I suspect he's going to be doing this alone for a short while, until some others scramble to catch up.
It's seriously the epitome of amazing. And I am certain it takes extrahuman skills to practice this discipline.
Would love to hear any further info anyone might have regarding this latest development...

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 07:52:32 AM »
Wow!

Love to try it.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 09:14:07 AM »
I can confirm that this is happening here on Maui. I was at baby Bch. A week or so ago watching the wind and waves. I noticed something moving about a half mile out. Looking closely I made out a surfer and a jetski that seemed to be closely following. If became clear that this was Kai practicing on his foil surfboard. He was using the ski to get started and then let go and surfed the swells connecting the bumps. He was getting 100yrd runs pretty regularly. The last one I saw he went well over 200yrds. And was clearly in front of the ski! Maybe where some of this video came from although I though it was windier than in the video. Anyway, as ad.has stated, no one will be paddling a7'board that far out on their own without assistance. I think the 10-12' footers will be a better choice for us mortals. There is a whole playground of i ridden waves out there just waiting for someone to ride them!

noa

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:35:02 PM »
808sup, in what you witnessed, Kai was getting towed and then foiling vs paddling to catch waves as he shows in this latest video ?
Regardless of if one needs to have assistance, I think the whole point of interest is being able to get oneself onto the wave. And regardless of if he is actually doing just that, that is what Kai is also wishing to advocate.

Adolfo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:10:43 AM »
As a beginner kite foiler I’m very impressed with what Kai is doing with his foils.
But before trying this at home, is important to  consider how skilled Kai is compared with the rest of us, and how much experience he has with foils.
Here is a picture of Kai, surfing his fathers foil at 9!!!!!
At 9 I was playing with a foam board in the shore break.

It’s the first time I try to attach a picture here. I hope it works.
Starboard 12'2 x 26
Naish Javelin 14 x 26
Naish Nalu 9'6 x 28
Starboard Hypernut 7'4 x 30 + foil
Starboard All Star 12'6 x 26

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 09:32:17 AM »
This is really very cool, and perhaps the more organic and appropriate application of foils than in the line up at surf breaks.  I was recently in Maui and did my first Maliko Run guided by Jeremy Riggs.  Even with the mellow conditions I caught enough glides to see why folks in Maui and the Gorge are so into it.

True, maybe most wont be able to ride a board as small as Kai, but even a 7 foot board could be quite maneuverable.  Watching Kai weave back and forth, I wonder if being able to actively pump and turn will help get longer glides.   My guess is he's just scratching the surface of what's possible.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 02:02:28 PM »
how fast do those foils go?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 10:38:50 AM »
Time for an update.
Whilst most of you have been sleeping off the turkey from thanksgiving Kai has been working his off.
Did a great downwinder with a friend of mine yesterday. Winds just plain insane with some gusts up to 50mph.
While dropping off my friend back at maliko a truck drove by us and stopped at the boat ramp. Kai popped out and jumped in the water with what appeared to be about a 7ft. foilboard.  Off he paddles and off we went so watch from the bluff above.
It was still blowing east as he paddled out about as far as we had earlier (a couple hundred yards). Then he turned down wind and stroked only for a few seconds, pumped the board for couple seconds at most to get on foil and took off.
And when I say took off I mean gone.  Within 5mins we could barely see him so we went to the lanes lookout to catch another glimpse. When we got there my wife spotted him just nearing the windsurfers. She used her phone to shoot him but he was moving to fast to track in the wind and swell. We watched him disappear near mamas. From the time he got on foil to then was about 15mins and I never saw him paddle.
Quote from: noa link=topic=30577.msg332126#msg332126
date=1473996902
Last time he was on more of a surfboard. This time it was definitely a sup.
I kite on a foil board and I know how minimal the drag is when on foil. The energy below the surface of the water is more than enough to keep you going even without the wind above.
I can't wait to see where this all goes!
808sup, in what you witnessed, Kai was getting towed and then foiling vs paddling to catch waves as he shows in this latest video ?
Regardless of if one needs to have assistance, I think the whole point of interest is being able to get oneself onto the wave. And regardless of if he is actually doing just that, that is what Kai is also wishing to advocate.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
Kai posted on FB a couple hours ago that he just did 11 miles with a top speed of 25 mph. Dang !
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 09:31:30 PM »
This is a serious game changer.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 09:33:17 PM »
PBill and I did the run today which was all about keeping together and not screwing up. There was a large potential for things to go south out there.  Giant east roll and 40+ on the gusts.  Crest to trough were easily 15 to 20 feet in spots.  When the set ups were perfect I'd go for it, otherwise it didn't feel wise to drop all the way with crossing moguls.  Very intense.

Meanwhile Kai blew by all of us on his foil never losing lift.  It was a good day to go fast and not be right on the surface.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM