Author Topic: Fins  (Read 3347 times)

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fins
« on: September 06, 2016, 06:59:23 AM »
Installed a mast track in a 9' x 32" wide North Pacific round pin board.   Sailed it yesterday in lite winds, waist high waves, smooth water.   Fin set up is 7" center fin with 4" side.   Loads of fun on a wave, no problem tracking straight.   No real complaints, looking for input to what others are using fin wise.   I'm not looking to plane, would a bigger center fin help going up wind ?

thanks   

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fins
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 04:57:08 PM »
My experience with wavesailing SUPs is that fin size makes very little difference in getting back upwind. Unlike sailing a short windsurf board where the fin provides much of the lateral resistance to get you upwind, the long waterline of a SUP provides most of the lateral resistance, so I have found very little difference between using a large center fin, and just using a thruster or quad setup with 4 ½" fins. I would say to play with fins for performance on the wave, and not worry about the upwind aspect.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »
Don't worry, you won't be planing unless you find some 50+ wind, and even then only briefly. I like a medium-sized dolphin for sup sailing, something in the 7-8" range. I've tried reversed thrusters, and they work OK. I might be reading your post wrong. are you thinking about a fin as a centerboard? Some of the early SUPs, most notably the Starboard 12'2" and the 12'6" had tuttle boxes to permit installing a centerboard fin. starboard even made a flavor of 12'6" with a swing fin that could be kicked into place. But no, you don't need one unless you're sailing in very light wind, like sub-10 MPH in the sit up and beg position.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
Not concerned at about planning, looking at wave performance in 8 to 15 knots.   Another fun day today before it became windy enough for a regular sailboard.   Thanks for the info, next test will be with lopez thruster fins all the same size.  Thanks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 09:52:06 PM »
That's exactly what they're good for. Getting out and driving into waves when the only people out are the 75 pound Zen planers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 06:09:29 AM »
I use a 26cm to 28cm center Surf Fin (in a thruster setup 5" side fins) when I have heavy upwind work Like this weekend with Hermine

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal